What causes shaky lifting?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
My biggest obstacle to weight training gains is days that I feel shaky. It is frustrating. Anyone else deal with this regularly?

Some days I can do a lot of weight, and some days the same amount makes me shaky and a little lightheaded. I've eaten the same breakfast and gotten the same amount of sleep, so I don't know. My blood sugar does run low (90's), but I drink cytomax during the whole workout. My avg blood pressure is 120/80, so that's not low. I do have some adrenal fatigue and low cortisol, and take a couple pellets of isocort on workout mornings... maybe it's not enough. Anything else, like dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, allergies? Also, I might try having a protein shake BEFORE workout instead of after.

P.S. I should mention... I do not do any stims, not even coffee.

BifWebster

Awards
I was thinking stimulants for sure until i saw the PS.
Shouldn't be dehydration if your drinking cytomax during and that has electrolytes in it too.

Whats your training like... a lot of machines.. barbells.. dumbells? It could be improper development of stabilizer muscles, which using free weights with dumbells > Barbells for would help and maybe some more core work... but judging from your avatar your core seems fine.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
How old are you? Maybe you're developing parkinson's

dertynasty

dertynasty

$Money$
Awards
  • Established
Nah, its pretty common for me too man, however its usually on the days that I take stims. The only thing that I can say its caused from is the intensity of our lifting. Sometimes i just get reallllly shaky and its DAMN ANNOYING, but seriously dude, i just blast my music louder and push through it. It will either go away or just linger for a bit during your workout. I really dont think its anything to trip out about, but i have noticed that it happens mainly when i dont drink enough water throughout the day beforehand. I thought i was low bloodsugar once and ate a powerbar but it did nothing.

Does this happen every day or....

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
How old are you? Maybe you're developing parkinson's

Jeez, hope not... I am 33. I don't have any kind of tremors when not lifting.

I tried drinking more water and a protein shake before working out (instead of after) and it seemed to help.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
IMO, it can be caused from an imbalance with the opposing muscles... opposing muscles are weaker than the working muscles.

I get this sometimes w/ seated calf-raises (front of lower leg isn't a strong point for me), and rarely with leg extensions (hams slightly behind quad development).

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
IMO, it can be caused from an imbalance with the opposing muscles... opposing muscles are weaker than the working muscles.

I get this sometimes w/ seated calf-raises (front of lower leg isn't a strong point for me), and rarely with leg extensions (hams slightly behind quad development).
Might be, but I'm getting it with almost all upper body excercises... curls, bench press, lats, dips, pull-ups.

I also have some anxiety problems, it might be related.

Thanks all, for the input.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Here is something interesting... I just found out that I have a gluten sensitivity (among other foods), and it can cause neuro symptoms... I'm going to cut out the problem foods and maybe will get rid of my shakiness (and anxiety!)

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Every leg day, especially ones that include calves, leave me walking and standing with leg trembles. Like when I'm just randomly walking I sometimes have to catch my balance when one of my knee joints collapses really fast.

The only exercise I shake on while doing though is barbell bench press for some reason. I don't do it very often, usually use dumbbells for bench, but always shake when doing any decent amount of weight (like 250+) no matter what.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Every leg day, especially ones that include calves, leave me walking and standing with leg trembles. Like when I'm just randomly walking I sometimes have to catch my balance when one of my knee joints collapses really fast.
thats the way leg days are supposed to feel :D

Doubravkody

Awards
dude its def. anxiety I have major anxiety, and I shake all the time, i hate it.
It usually happens when i get nervous about working out with other people, or if i know im going to try uping my weight on something, or if I had a earlier stressful day, well thats what it is for me anyways,some days its real bad others its not all really depends on whats happening that day

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I shake when I lift heavy. I remember in high schools my friends would be like WTF? I think its genetic though, my dad was a competitive BB back in the day and he always shook just like I do. Some people do, some people don't I guess