10-12% bodfyfat yet little vascularity....whats up with that???

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
title says it all. i am in pretty good shape. bodyfat is decent but while i see some people with my same bodyfat or even higher, my veins are a lot less. can anyone tell me why this is or how i could possibly fix this? i dont want to look ridiculous but i feel my circulation may be sub-par.

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
title says it all. i am in pretty good shape. bodyfat is decent but while i see some people with my same bodyfat or even higher, my veins are a lot less. can anyone tell me why this is or how i could possibly fix this? i dont want to look ridiculous but i feel my circulation may be sub-par.
Gonna say some of this is genetics man, some people are just naturally big veined we'll say. I have a friend I lift with that is around the same size/bf as me and his vascularity is much more noticeable then mine. Are you taking any type of NO supp.? If not I'd look into some sort of vasodilator(sp?).

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
pic...not saying your not 10-12 %...but alot of people dont test bf properly.

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
pic...not saying your not 10-12 %...but alot of people dont test bf properly.
True, I was thinking it.................... but I'm a fatty so I can't tell someone they might not be 10-12% lol

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
True, I was thinking it.................... but I'm a fatty so I can't tell someone they might not be 10-12% lol
hahaha...naw its just i see sooooooo many people go, yeah im 9%..i look at them, and know full well they are closer to 15-16....

Alot of people dont know how to propery test bf, that includes a TOn of "personal trainers"

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i knew the request for a pic was coming however i dont have one right now. so until i can get one up can we just all assume that i am correct about my bodyfat analasys and take it from there. i will get a pic up here when i am able to though. my gym is who tested me.

do you think lots of cardio could bring out my veins cuz i am not too interested in buying a "performance" supplement for something so superficial. i am not the kinda guy who takes a million things.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
or, like New said, you may just not be a very vascular person bro.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hahaha...naw its just i see sooooooo many people go, yeah im 9%..i look at them, and know full well they are closer to 15-16....

Alot of people dont know how to propery test bf, that includes a TOn of "personal trainers"
I always love the "I'm about 3% bodyfat" folks....as if you could hold that level for longer than a few hours without dying.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I always love the "I'm about 3% bodyfat" folks....as if you could hold that level for longer than a few hours without dying.
Haha indeed. All I can say is it is probably genetics.

Nutrition also plays an inportant role in your vascular look.

I noticed that the longer the diet is respected (my bulking diet) the more vascular I look. I could somewhat relate this to insulin sensitivity which is quite plausible IMO.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok ok i see how its gonna be guys lol. i am gonna go take a couple pictures. i should have them up here in 30 minutes or less.

but if anyone until then has advice on howto become more vascular would be appreciated. i would imagine that there must be a little something i could do despite genetic predisposition

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
Check my avi, I'll might 5%........................... hahahahaha.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Genetics, accurate bf, and also type of training I would think would be the largest factors other than possible supplementation.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Veins come through the most thin part of your skin. Hence veins on hands/forearms but not normally ass/pecs/legs. This is a general statement but the less you put between your skin and the veins, fat, the more they will stand out.

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
Haha, I was joking and I'm actually around 17% I think.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah boxeman is not really making sense but oh well.

alright guys i have got to tell you the bad news. no pictures right now. all i have is a video camera tat can take pictures as well. i tried to download them to my new computer but the jack doesnt fit my cable. so i am gonna check my photobucket album. standby.

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
No worries man, post as you can, a pic is still just a visual judgement call on what it appears your at. If your really concerned, there's a place in town that does water displacement bf analysis that's also a good option for accuracy.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i am not too concerned about %. i am definetely in the bodyfat range that i think deserves a little vascularity. but you know, after seeing my pictures that i took and i think i could drop my bodyfat down a little bit more.

as said earlier though that veins come out where there is thin skin/ low bodyfat such as the hands. i really dont even have much there compared to most people i think. wow it sounds like a should be more around the 60% bodyfat range. even my hands are fat lol.

Laxislife1265

Awards
yes it is lol. Let see. My dad has HUUUGE veins... yet I can't get mine to show up unless im working out or being active. So some of it is definitely not genetic. Albeit im 14... but still I should at least show a little right?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes it is lol. Let see. My dad has HUUUGE veins... yet I can't get mine to show up unless im working out or being active. So some of it is definitely not genetic. Albeit im 14... but still I should at least show a little right?
If you're only 14 you're not fully developed yet, those veins might still be coming :head:

Assuming your body fat is low.

Laxislife1265

Awards
I was at 12% when i got certified for wrestling so im assuming that im in fine shape to show veins right? Keep in mind im chinese and asian kids tend to mature and stop growth at an early age.

edit: just out of curiosity when did you guys stop growing (height wise)? did you grow in spurts? and what age was your biggest growth in height?

Because I haven't grown in about a year and im 5'10 so I think I might be done...

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was at 12% when i got certified for wrestling so im assuming that im in fine shape to show veins right? Keep in mind im chinese and asian kids tend to mature and stop growth at an early age.

edit: just out of curiosity when did you guys stop growing (height wise)? did you grow in spurts? and what age was your biggest growth in height?

Because I haven't grown in about a year and im 5'10 so I think I might be done...
I stopped growing taller by 17

12% is certifiably, vascularity qualified, maybe you inherited your mom's skin thickness? Or maybe there just isn't enough muscle mass (YET)

Laxislife1265

Awards
looks like i might still have some more growing to do. Cmon six feet >.<! did you have like a pause in your growth at any point?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
looks like i might still have some more growing to do. Cmon six feet >.<! did you have like a pause in your growth at any point?
Nothing noticeable. I was never concerned about my height. I was always about the same height as my classmates, so it never worried me.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so 12% rates vascularity? in general (i know there are exceptions) what is a bodyfat % where you should begin to see some vascularity?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah, a good vasculatiry thread with John, John, and Box. :)

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Skin thickness has the most do with it. I have paper thin skin...when I get cut striations/veins pop out. The down side is that body fat looks terrible on me. I can have cellulite on my belly as low as 13% ish.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I don't think anyone mentioned hydration levels. If you maintain proper hydration levels vascularity will be relatively more noticable. Potassium and Sodium balance also play a role. I notice after a few days of low sodium intake if I eat something really salty my blood plasma volume increases and makes me noticeably more vascular when at lower bodyfat percentages.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
im 69% bf and i rule :head:
YEAH BOI!!!!!!

Those machines that send the pulse say I'm 11.9% I call shenanigans. It's more like 15-17%. But we're working on it.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I'm surprised no one asked about diet. Maybe this was mentioned, but I skimmed the thread and didn't see it. When on a cutting phase or in a caloric deficit, vascularity tends to disappear. This especially happens when you reduce your carbo intake.
I have a lot of vascularity in my forearms, biceps, and some on my torso near the surface of my skin, but now that I'm dieting and restricting cals, the veins have not been prominent.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep eating, getting plenty of sleep, and take plenty of vitamin D/multivitamins/multiminerals. Also make sure you are getting plenty of good fats. Nutrition and recovery are key factors in height (past genetics).

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I'm surprised no one asked about diet. Maybe this was mentioned, but I skimmed the thread and didn't see it. When on a cutting phase or in a caloric deficit, vascularity tends to disappear. This especially happens when you reduce your carbo intake.
I have a lot of vascularity in my forearms, biceps, and some on my torso near the surface of my skin, but now that I'm dieting and restricting cals, the veins have not been prominent.
That's really odd because I'm the exact opposite. When I'm below 12% I'm extremely vascular. Diet and cardio give me insane veins everywhere. When I'm bulking (13-15%bf) my vascularity isn't as prominent. Just another example of genetics at work I guess.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's really odd because I'm the exact opposite. When I'm below 12% I'm extremely vascular. Diet and cardio give me insane veins everywhere. When I'm bulking (13-15%bf) my vascularity isn't as prominent. Just another example of genetics at work I guess.
I think hes more referring to how vascularity decreases on the diet due to lack of carbs. While you become more vascular at the lower body fat you still are not as vascular due to restricted carbs...days that you have refeeds though vascularity is usually through the roof from the added carb intake. At least for me it is like this

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so 12% rates vascularity? in general (i know there are exceptions) what is a bodyfat % where you should begin to see some vascularity?
Well that's a bit general, low bodyfat doesn't necessarily entitled you to vascularity, but it puts you in contention per se, assuming everything else is in place... quantity musculature can play a role, some physiological, genetic predispositions plays a huge role. I know for myself, I still wouldn't be vascular at 8-10% body fat.

Why the obsession with vascularity?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I had some wicked vascularity when I musta been upwards of near 20% bodyfat.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
I am about 1% fat..... in my hands and feet...

Forces point about low carb, low muscle glycogen, low fullness of muscle is a nice factor. I notice that when carbing up vascularity improves, add a workout and its business time.

I do however have a large degree of fluctuation of subcutaneous water retention in my lower belly. Might be partly due to fluctuations in salt but there is definately something esle goin on that I can't work out how to control.

AABigRick

Awards
  • Established
im not sure that you can get all that vascular at 12 % i was about 13.5% finally dropped about 5 pounds and im just starting to see veins and only in forearms. So u prolly need to drop some more weight to get veiny, also there is always genetics of thick skin.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I am about 1% fat..... in my hands and feet...

Forces point about low carb, low muscle glycogen, low fullness of muscle is a nice factor. I notice that when carbing up vascularity improves, add a workout and its business time.

I do however have a large degree of fluctuation of subcutaneous water retention in my lower belly. Might be partly due to fluctuations in salt but there is definately something esle goin on that I can't work out how to control.
Methodice, whenever I come to the forum and see the name 'methodice', it's a huge trigger for me... haha... I am still having flashbacks.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
thats what i'm here for... to test you. I will be poppin up again some time so watch out!!

BOO!

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
thats what i'm here for... to test you. I will be poppin up again some time so watch out!!

BOO!
Hah. I'm not really passing with flying colors ;) but... passing

BifWebster

Awards
Its genetic... your just in the minority of those who have very little visible vascularity.

Look at Mr Olympia Jay Cutler compared to everyone else on stage, He's not very vascular at all, especially considering how veiny the pros get and considering all the gear he's on

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Look at Mr Olympia Jay Cutler compared to everyone else on stage, He's not very vascular at all, especially considering how veiny the pros get and considering all the gear he's on
You mean Jay Cutler's Official Mass Stack? Aplodan, naNOX9, GAKIC, CREAKIC and Anator-p70. Gets you hyooge!