will decline dumbell flys wreck shoulders?

Bendiesel

Bendiesel

Awards
yesterday while at the gym i was doing decline dumbell flyes and my right shoulder kept popping....note that i was flying 40lbs which ive never ever been able to do before....not really sure if i need to up fish oils or if i should look into other ways of doing my flyes...any help would be appreciated!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
They won't wreck your shoulders as long as your mindful and vigilant of your limits. The position itself is going to naturally put more pressure on the shoulder joint than a regular/incline fly but stay with a weight you can control and execute with proper form and you will be fine.

Also when you say popping do you mean clicking or actually popping with pain?

Bendiesel

Bendiesel

Awards
They won't wreck your shoulders as long as your mindful and vigilant of your limits. The position itself is going to naturally put more pressure on the shoulder joint than a regular/incline fly but stay with a weight you can control and execute with proper form and you will be fine.

Also when you say popping do you mean clicking or actually popping with pain?
its not pain...or else i would have stopped but its like a clicking/grinding....it doesnt hurt....just annoying and bothersome to say the least....i guess it doesnt help that the day before i work my chest i work my shoulders and arms.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, just be mindful of your form, and stop quite a few reps before 'failure'.

IMO, most people bring their arms too far back on flies.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The position itself is going to naturally put more pressure on the shoulder joint than a regular/incline fly
I completely disagree with this statement 100%. Could you please support that statement so I could understand where you are coming from.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I completely disagree with this statement 100%. Could you please support that statement so I could understand where you are coming from.
If your on a decline the weight is naturally going to to pull down towards your body and your head (so effectively your body is resisting the weight from coming in a manner of contrasted upright row therefor putting some strain on the front delt.) There will be pressure on the join in both movements but there will certainly be additional strain when your balancing the weight that much more.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your on a decline the weight is naturally going to to pull down towards your body and your head (so effectively your body is resisting the weight from coming in a manner of contrasted upright row therefor putting some strain on the front delt.) There will be pressure on the join in both movements but there will certainly be additional strain when your balancing the weight that much more.
The muscles used during an upright row are antagonistic to muscles used in a decline bench. That is a poor example.

During decline bench press, your shoulder joint has larger muscles which play a role in shoulder stability. Therefore, it has MORE stabilization potential in decline versus flat or incline movements which rely on tiny rotator cuff muscles for stability.

In contrast to your belief concerning joint strain, the decline bench has MUCH smoother joint mechanics versus flat or incline movements. There is less strain on the joint capsule and labrum.

The decline bench press is frequently the only press that lifters with shoulder injuries can perform without pain.

It's rare that someone who is lifting with good technique would ever have shoulder issues with a decline movement, unless severe pathology was involved.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
First of all just state your point, no need for "poor example" bs (thats just in general dude.)

Second of all we are not talking about BENCH were talking about FLYS. Read the entire post or at least the title before rambling off. Decline FLYS will put extra stress on the shoulder joint especially in the bottom full stretch which is why he should be careful when he does them as to not cause a unneeded injury to his shoulder.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just bend the elbows a little more and stretch a little less on the downward motion until your elbows leave the equation.