'Plate press'

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

'Plate press'

Well, I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but it was fairly recent. IIRC, it was called a 'plate press'.

You take two plates and press them together between your hands. Then, (standing) extend the arms out as in a bench press motion, then return. This requires your pecs to constantly squeeze the plates together to keep them from dropping to the floor.

I did this for the first time this morning at the end of my chest/tri workout. You want to talk about burn... I thought my sternum was going to rip apart. And, I was only doing 10lbs plates.

You can vary the angles, as well... like press up in an incline fashion, or low in a decline fashion. I tried them all and felt the best when pushing even with the shoulders.

I suppose you could do the same thing while laying on a bench. But, I don't like the thought of having plates directly above you like that.

Def. worth a try if you are looking for something new.

Anyone else do or have done these?

2. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I've done squeeze presses with dbs, which is similar, but I like the sound of this too

where you are pressing the dbs as HARD as you can against each other as you do it.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I've done squeeze presses with dbs, which is similar, but I like the sound of this too

where you are pressing the dbs as HARD as you can against each other as you do it.
    If I was laying down, I would def. use DBs.

I think the point of using plates is that you HAVE to squeeze as hard as you can, otherwise there go the plates. Whereas, with DBs, you may slack off because you can.

My gym has round-plate DBs... so those are probably out for this lift.

•   

4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

actually I'd guess you'd want 3 plates then, to make it even harder to keep the middle one from falling

with other db styles, you can squeeze the ends together instead of the sides. really I think the weight is almost inconsequential as its the tension on the pecs from the isometric pusing inwards that is doing all the work
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    actually I'd guess you'd want 3 plates then, to make it even harder to keep the middle one from falling

with other db styles, you can squeeze the ends together instead of the sides. really I think the weight is almost inconsequential as its the tension on the pecs from the isometric pusing inwards that is doing all the work
    Nice idea on the 3rd plate.

Edit: I tried repping you for the idea. But, I got the "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to EasyEJL again." I haven't repped anyone in forever. Weird.

6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Sounds like something I'll try on Saturday, next chest/tri day...ok, so you started out with 10lb plates. Still sounds intense. I hear 'plate' and immediately invision 45s, that'd be some type of pain right there.

I'll probably start with 3 5lbs, to incorporate what Easy was talking about, and them maybe work my way up. 2 10lbs w/ a 5 in the middle, 3 10lbs, etc. etc.

This sounds like a good way to bring the burn back to my chest after I finish up my tris. Good find you guys. Reps coming.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

You can get a taste of what it might feel like right now. Put your hands together and press your palms against each other as hard as you can and extend your arms. I'm doing it right now and it burns like crazy.

I don't think the point of the plates is to add any resistance, merely something to press against and help w/ keeping maximum tension and not letting up. As I said, you let up, plates might fall. Thx for the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Sounds like something I'll try on Saturday, next chest/tri day...ok, so you started out with 10lb plates. Still sounds intense. I hear 'plate' and immediately invision 45s, that'd be some type of pain right there.

I'll probably start with 3 5lbs, to incorporate what Easy was talking about, and them maybe work my way up. 2 10lbs w/ a 5 in the middle, 3 10lbs, etc. etc.

This sounds like a good way to bring the burn back to my chest after I finish up my tris. Good find you guys. Reps coming.

8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    I don't think the point of the plates is to add any resistance, merely something to press against and help w/ keeping maximum tension and not letting up.
    Would increased weight cause it to work the ant. delt a little more or am I just invisioning things improperly? I guess if that's the case maybe light weight would be the way to go. I need to build up my rear delt before I go making things worse, lol.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Would increased weight cause it to work the ant. delt a little more or am I just invisioning things improperly? I guess if that's the case maybe light weight would be the way to go. I need to build up my rear delt before I go making things worse, lol.
    Yes, the ant. delt will support the weight. But, IMO, it's not enough stimulation (with lighter weight) to add any appreciable mass. If you were pressing 45s, maybe.

But, the only thing I felt working was my chest... surprisingly. I figured the delts would burn, too... but they didn't.

If you want to take out the delts, do as shown above lying down on a bench. But, be careful if using plates and not DBs... don't drop one on your face and/or chest.

EDIT: Also, if you are going to try these, also try this... when your arms are extended in front of you, raise and lower the weight as in a front lateral raise motion. You may not like it, but it gave me a different feeling in my chest... the iso contraction moving through ROM like that.

SH!T!!! I was sitting here at my desk doing it and my left pec cramped up... that didn't feel good LOL.

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    If you want to take out the delts, do as shown above lying down on a bench. But, be careful if using plates and not DBs... don't drop one on your face and/or chest.
    No thanks, I could see that middle plate sliding out and...well, let's just say that I'd be on here a lot more than I already am.
    WHITE WHALE!

11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I was thinking the same thing. You can try squeezing DBs if they have flat edges (hex). Just make sure you really are giving it your all... the DBs aren't going to drop if you don't squeeze enough, so you have to MAKE yourself squeeze... just a mental thing.

EDIT: Also, when using plates, I recommend facing them inwards (flat part out). You may be inclined to grip the grooves with your fingers instead of holding them together w/ your pecs.

No thanks, I could see that middle plate sliding out and...well, let's just say that I'd be on here a lot more than I already am.

12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I tried these today. All I can say is HOLY****. That burn is beyond explanation. Did them from the bench with DBs. It was all in the chest, as ShakesAllDay mentioned. Don't know that I will use this all of the time, but it's good to add a new twist to your w/o now and then.

13. Board Supporter
    Answers

im gonna give these a try my next chest day

14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
    I tried these today. All I can say is HOLY****. That burn is beyond explanation. Did them from the bench with DBs. It was all in the chest, as ShakesAllDay mentioned. Don't know that I will use this all of the time, but it's good to add a new twist to your w/o now and then.
    Yeah... I'm not sure how much of a mass builder they are, but I could have sworn every muscle fiber was engaged when doing them.

Great finisher, IMO.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smith Machine Behind Neck Press vs Dumbbell Press
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  2. Dumbbell Press or Chest Press -- Do you go all the way down?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM
  3. fraction plate help
    By TNASTYII in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 01:18 PM
  5. cheap plate weight???????
    By kelsey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8