HIIT....is it okay to lengthen the intervals?

The Anarchist

Awards
Was wondering if its better to lengthen the intervals from 30 seconds to 1 minute?

Also is it okay to do it 4 days week while lifting 3 days a week?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are tons of variations on HIIT. Some take intervals up to 1min and have a longer rest, but I prefer shorter intervals. This allows me o really ramp up the intensity of those intervals which is what I'm aiming for when i do HIIT training.
I personally do 30s/60s rest for 10 intervals but I've enjoyed 45s/90s rests as well, as well as experimented with many others.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I have tried both 45 seconds rest then 30 seconds sprint or 45 sprint with 90 rest and both work well. However I recently started using my Heart Rate monitor while doing HIIT and found it to be a great tool. Instead of basing solely on time I go by where my heart rate is.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Instead of basing solely on time I go by where my heart rate is.
thats definitely the way to go, set your targets for heart rate, and use that. I try to keep to 145 for low and 180 for high. since i'm an old prick tho, it means 30 seconds high, 90 seconds rest

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
thats definitely the way to go, set your targets for heart rate, and use that. I try to keep to 145 for low and 180 for high. since i'm an old prick tho, it means 30 seconds high, 90 seconds rest
Lol I've found 30 seconds sprints with 60 seconds rest to be the perfect fit for myself (getting up to about 150 from the sprint and 125 with the rest.) Towards then end I can go up to 90 seconds rest so don't sell your self short Easy. I always thought 150 was high enough but may have to bust my ass harder to get up to 180.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm also all hopped up on stims when I do it, its the only way I can motivate myself ;)

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I'm also all hopped up on stims when I do it, its the only way I can motivate myself ;)
Lol I started RPM today and tomorrow will be my first HIIT session while dosing RPM before! Can't wait.