failed at leg press :(

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
was having a really good leg workout tonight (not very common for me). was doing narrow stance leg presses for my 3rd exercise of the night. got up to 4 plates on each side. busted out 2 sets of 12 no problem. decided what the hell. ill do 6 on each side for maybe 6-8 reps. lowered it down, and never went back up haha. totally sucked. i had to crawl out, unload all the plates, and put it back. hung my head low, but still finished out strong for the remainder of my 2 ham exercises and 2 calf exercises.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
lol im sure you were jsut tired. after your warmup next time start at 6 and pyramid down....that way you can see if you can do it or not and you still get the full leg workout

goofer

goofer

Awards
Beter luck next time, probably just tired out your legs. If nobody saw it you don't have to be a shamed neither :p

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you are trying to hit new highs, instead of doing multiple sets at 12 reps, do single sets of 5-8 at each weight as you go up. I like using 5 for that. the earlier ones end up as further warmups :)

Forster

Forster

Board Supporter
Awards
I've done that once, Nice feeling :frustrate:

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
The #1 worst thing about the leg press is unloading the kajillion plates after four vein-popping sets. And, when loading/unloading, having to scavenge the gym for extra 45s cause the sled rack doesn't hold enough.

I have yet to get stuck, though.

I still wonder why people pyramid up. That seems backwards to me. IMO, staying w/ the same weight or pyramiding down through the sets = better workout. But, everything has its place. Why try your heaviest set after 2-3 working sets?

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
The #1 worst thing about the leg press is unloading the kajillion plates after four vein-popping sets. And, when loading/unloading, having to scavenge the gym for extra 45s cause the sled rack doesn't hold enough.

I have yet to get stuck, though.

I still wonder why people pyramid up. That seems backwards to me. IMO, staying w/ the same weight or pyramiding down through the sets = better workout. But, everything has its place. Why try your heaviest set after 2-3 working sets?
you and i work a very similar routine. pyramid down. but the guy that i lift with does a 5x5 pyramid up. it seems backwards to me in theory but when we're doing it i can feel the fibers tearing when i get to that last set on the last 3 reps.
i guess it would just have to be a personal preference. however, i would be interested in comparing the differences in the 2 styles

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
if you are trying to hit new highs, instead of doing multiple sets at 12 reps, do single sets of 5-8 at each weight as you go up. I like using 5 for that. the earlier ones end up as further warmups :)
wasnt a new high or anything. but i am trying to build my leg strength back up to where it was like a year ago when i was able to do sets of 10-14 reps with 8 plates on each side. so i felt like still had some juice left in my legs when i put the 6 on. turns out i didnt.

thanks for all the replies tho guys. some good ideas for changing up my leg training.

rugrat5288

Awards
I pyramid up then back down. going up allows your body much more time to warm up for the heavier weight. less likely to get an injury that way.