Abdominal Crunches and Nausea

  1. Senior Member
    MashedPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    722
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    31.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Abdominal Crunches and Nausea


    Hey guys,

    Hope you can all help me here of give some advice. Recently i upped the intensity of my ab training as i simply wasnt seeing any results from my prior plateau.

    Hower, the increased intensity results in some bad heartburn and digestive problems (general stomach cramping and extreme bloatedness) about 2-3 hours post workout, all the way up until my next workout.

    It seems my digestive system takes a blow everytime i do my abs, no matter the exersise. Other than taking the intensity back and not seeing any further results, anyone have any suggestions?

    It feels like i get hit with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) every time i do abs, which otherwise isnt there when i dont. Almost as if the exersise throws off the natural rhythm of the digestive tract.

    Anyway, the heartburn is a killer (im taking zantac 75 for it) and the nausea gets me every morning.

    Any suggestions guys?

  2. Senior Member
    Nightwanderer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,307
    Rep Power
    736
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    24.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    at age 23 and working out? yeah, if it's not either:
    your diet
    not enough time elapsed between meals & workouts
    harsh supplements like 'fat burners', etc

    it's something you should see a doc about. If you adjust your diet, supplement intake and workout schedule and don't see a change,
    you're having a serious issue. At 23 and especially in shape, there are people who have never had heart burn, much less coupled with nausea and severe enough to need to take antacids regularly.
  3. Senior Member
    MashedPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    722
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    31.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwanderer View Post
    at age 23 and working out? yeah, if it's not either:
    your diet
    not enough time elapsed between meals & workouts
    harsh supplements like 'fat burners', etc

    it's something you should see a doc about. If you adjust your diet, supplement intake and workout schedule and don't see a change,
    you're having a serious issue. At 23 and especially in shape, there are people who have never had heart burn, much less coupled with nausea and severe enough to need to take antacids regularly.
    Yeah, i think i may just see the doc. I have no problems when working out, no nausea no nothing, just after i work out is when it become a problem.

    When i dont do abs, im fine. Nothing to complain about.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    dlew308's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,647
    Rep Power
    922
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    8.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    See a stomach doc.

    You're quite young to suffer with heartburn, maybe there's a pulled muscle or something.
  5. Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    7,242
    Rep Power
    51547
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    95.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I agreee with the DR thing. In the meantime I would say all I would do is the one where you lay on a bench lift your head and do leg kicks. Then at least you are not curled up on your stomach.
  6. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,346
    Rep Power
    5894795
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotato View Post
    Hey guys,

    Hope you can all help me here of give some advice. Recently i upped the intensity of my ab training as i simply wasnt seeing any results from my prior plateau.

    Hower, the increased intensity results in some bad heartburn and digestive problems (general stomach cramping and extreme bloatedness) about 2-3 hours post workout, all the way up until my next workout.

    It seems my digestive system takes a blow everytime i do my abs, no matter the exersise. Other than taking the intensity back and not seeing any further results, anyone have any suggestions?

    It feels like i get hit with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) every time i do abs, which otherwise isnt there when i dont. Almost as if the exersise throws off the natural rhythm of the digestive tract.

    Anyway, the heartburn is a killer (im taking zantac 75 for it) and the nausea gets me every morning.

    Any suggestions guys?

    You can't be "hit with IBS". You have to have a colonoscopy to get it diagnosed.
  7. Senior Member
    MashedPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    722
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    31.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    You can't be "hit with IBS". You have to have a colonoscopy to get it diagnosed.
    Thanks guys, i actually solved the problem. It seems that the DCP im current taking was causing heartburn which was being exagerated after a particually hard workout (the ab area).


    Lowered the DCP from 3 x 3 per day to 4 x 3 per day did the trick. For some reason the ab workouts aggrivated the indegestion and heartburn caused by the dcp post w/o.

    Thanks again guys. However i will get it checked out just to be safe. Better safe than sorry right.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. SITUPS VS CRUNCHES
    By mjdalegend in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 09:47 PM
  2. Abdominal fat
    By Beebs in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
  3. Question about crunches
    By SuppKnight in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 11:06 AM
  4. How effective are hanging crunches?
    By Fergs103 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
  5. Poll:Situps/crunches
    By curt2go in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 03:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in