Crossfit

Ever hear of Crossfit?

• Yes, and I participate often/sometimes in the WOD's

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Yes, but I don't agree for reasons listed below

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Not really, heard the word before, but no clue what it is

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No, never heard the term whatsoever. What is it?

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Curious if there are any other members here who participate in Crossfit. I picked up the program last year, and I often incorporate the workouts into my routine.

If you have yet to find out what Crossfit is -
Think of weight lifting turned into sport. Powerlifting is truely a sport, but in truth is not very athletic. Crossfit competitions demand every aspect of fitness - strength, endurance, explosiveness, aerobic ability, ect. That's actually why they call it Crossfit. The reason I'm writing this is because I find it to truely revitalize weight training, making things incredibly fun and competative. Anybody can compete, starting from any level.
Think of the "300" workout the actors touted about. That would be an example of a crossfit workout. Most of the workouts are done in a race-like fashion, completing the workload as soon as you physically can, demanding everything you got.
Here's another example to clear things up if you're still a bit confused, just as I was when I first looked into it -

For time, aka with a running clock -
3 rounds of:
135lb deadlift x 12 (or scaled to BW if beginner or female)
Burpees x 12
Box Jumps x 20

You'd grab a few friends, and go to town. Very competative, and incredibly addicting. Many other workouts incorporate running, rowing, rope climbs, ect. The program prides itself by rarely repeating itself, with it's moto as "Routine is the Enemy". The few workouts that repeat are benchmark workouts, around 5 of them. They don't come too often, but it is sort of a Physical Fitness Test so to speak, gauging your progress.

For nearly 5 years preceding adopting the Crossfit program, I was lodged into the standard weight lifting "3 sets of 10" type thing. I've found these workouts to be the most demanding, AND the most fun/competative when in comparison to any other program I have come across.

As you probably know, it's growing in popularity, especially among military and police organizations. In my opinion, these Crossfit originators have invented a true sport.

I strongly urge you to try a workout or two. I'm writing this in part because I don't see any talk of the program here, and I think it definitly deserves a few more looks! It's literally that much fun. Do take note however, that these programs are geared towards athletic ability, and not towards bodybuilding. Hypertrophy is a word that doesn't exist in the sport!

Post up any questions about it and I'll be sure to chime in with anything I know about crossfit. Here's some links:
Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness
CrossFit Workout of the Day | NavySEALs.com - Experience the SEAL Edge

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
It doesn't look like the type of thing that would really bulk a guy up, but the women on there are downright intimidating.

I think some of them have c*cks.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't look like the type of thing that would really bulk a guy up, but the women on there are downright intimidating.

I think some of them have c*cks.
No, as I mentioned before, definitly not bodybuilding. Rather a sport in itself... and yeah, some of the girls are absolutely intense. So freakin' sexy though, at least most of the ones they have on the vids. Crazy ripped...

anthonybolerj

Awards
If your looking for power (speed/strength) and don't care about beach muscle crossfit.com is the best workout you'll ever do. honestly you can't may be able to curl more but he or she will smoke you on everything else and is probably a lot more function then that of a bb/pl/sm <-- they are all strong in a couple of things but a crossfiter is well rounded. I only do it when i hit a wall in bb or when i need to be functional

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
Plus it's really fun. I've done it a few times and I'm absolutely addicted. I like their attitude towards fitness.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Plus it's really fun. I've done it a few times and I'm absolutely addicted. I like their attitude towards fitness.
True to that - incredibly addictive. One of the best things is that everyone can compete... in powerlifting, it's all about max weight / max reps. The newbie to exercise can do the same workout as the elite trainers, but of course with a less impressive time. But the fact that you can compare numbers... the competative nature comes to life and is truely so much fun.

I finally joined a Crossfit gym just over a week ago. Best decision in my weight training career. I don't think I'll ever go back!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Watching the demo link, I was shocked to see the form on the guy in the green shirt during the clean-squats - specifically, he was *not* maintaining proper wrist alignment when holding the cleaned DBs: wrists should not DO that under load! THe bad news is, that's exactly the kind of sloppiness that will show up for him in 20-30 years. Other guy (Pat?) lost his ab control, and in an extreme-sport environment like that, he could incur serious spinal injury that way.

Still, yeah, looks like fun...but it looks like murder, too.

rubberchicken

Awards
I have done Crossfit routines in the past. Very bloody hard stuff. At the risk of sounding like a tosser - great for functional strength and all round fitness. Obviously not for people bulking or BBers

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Aren't those gyms hella expensive?
Yes, and it was a factor that put me off for a few months... $125 a month. It truely is worth every dollar though. Every session is oversought by the owner (or his affiliate), so it's kind of like getting personal training every day. I'm in college, hence a strict budget, but I still think this is worth my money. Such good stuff!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do some crossfit exercises sometimes. One I latched onto, if only to prove i can do it, is the deadlift, 50 x 135. I've only hit 40 so far. It's really added some strength and mass to my back. Sure is a whopping *****, though.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's the ****. All the SEAL team, Recon guys swear by it.
For me size is nice, but functional streangth, endurance and all is what I need when in a combat zone.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I've switched over to crossfit exclusively. I feel like I've been wasting years doing bodybuilding style training. It's not just the practical strength gains that are great, the impact it has on your physique is insane. It's less that bulky BB look, but after even a week, my bulid was sharper, and my abs have never looked better. Also, despite the workouts being much harder and more frequent, I'm not as sore as when you blast individual body parts.

I can't imagine training any other way any more. I encourage everyone to do 2 weeks of Crossfit and see for themselves.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I've switched over to crossfit exclusively. I feel like I've been wasting years doing bodybuilding style training. It's not just the practical strength gains that are great, the impact it has on your physique is insane. It's less that bulky BB look, but after even a week, my bulid was sharper, and my abs have never looked better. Also, despite the workouts being much harder and more frequent, I'm not as sore as when you blast individual body parts.

I can't imagine training any other way any more. I encourage everyone to do 2 weeks of Crossfit and see for themselves.
Dude, it's so true. I can't imagine EVER going back to the "globo-gym" and moving through the average routine. Even with results aside, this is truely so much more fun. Anybody can do it too.

Everyone sound off the gym you train at! (if you train at one that is) I'm out of the Amherst, MA area, training at Pioneer Valley Crossfit. Blazin' good times. Been a member for just about a month now, and absolutely loving it.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Dude, it's so true. I can't imagine EVER going back to the "globo-gym" and moving through the average routine. Even with results aside, this is truely so much more fun. Anybody can do it too.

Everyone sound off the gym you train at! (if you train at one that is) I'm out of the Amherst, MA area, training at Pioneer Valley Crossfit. Blazin' good times. Been a member for just about a month now, and absolutely loving it.
Amherst ehh? Did you attend college tere? I've always had Amherst in mind....

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established

I wish, wish, WISH, I trained at a crossfit gym. I'm in Halifax, and there is none here. I train at the Y, which (along with the SMU gym) is where most crossfit trainers in this city seem to workout. It sucks not being able to drop weights, and also, nobody understands what you are doing, so they will hop on the chin up bar in the middle of a Fran (I'm not saying they shouldn't, it's their gym too, but it's annoying when you are doing time trials).

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Amherst ehh? Did you attend college tere? I've always had Amherst in mind....
Sorry, probably should have specified that I attend UMass, and not Amherst college. Too much beer in high school to make it into there!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I wish, wish, WISH, I trained at a crossfit gym. I'm in Halifax, and there is none here. I train at the Y, which (along with the SMU gym) is where most crossfit trainers in this city seem to workout. It sucks not being able to drop weights, and also, nobody understands what you are doing, so they will hop on the chin up bar in the middle of a Fran (I'm not saying they shouldn't, it's their gym too, but it's annoying when you are doing time trials).
No worries - as long as you get the work done, that's what counts. Good to hear that you have a group thing going on there... crossfitting by yourself in the average gym just feels so awkward.
Be sure to keep an eye out; crossfit gyms are popping up everywhere.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Who's doing today's WOD? Undoubedly an intense one today... Fran kicks ass, and this is bound to bring much more of that good ol' feelin. As many rounds in 20 mins of: 10x 65lb Trusters + 10x Pullups

rock and rollllllllllll

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Who's doing today's WOD? Undoubedly an intense one today... Fran kicks ass, and this is bound to bring much more of that good ol' feelin. As many rounds in 20 mins of: 10x 65lb Trusters + 10x Pullups

rock and rollllllllllll
Me me me me!!!!! 20 minutes of a Fran like work out should be pretty carzy.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Me me me me!!!!! 20 minutes of a Fran like work out should be pretty carzy.
You know it brutha!!! Shits gunna be intense... definitly glad there's an off day tommarow! Looking forward to hitting this in a few hours...

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
MURPHS UP, WHO'S DOWN

For anyone who doesn't know, "Murph" is the workout originally created by Medal Of Honor recipient Lieutenant Murphy of the U.S. Navy SEALS. As "rx'd", the workout is as follows:
With a 20lb of body armor/weight vest -
1 Mile run
100 Pullups, 200 Pushups, 300 Air Squats
1 Mile run

Unlike some other Crossfit WOD's, there is no perscribed order to complete the calisthenics. You are able to formulate your own order as long as the repititions are completed.

Very excited to get this one going. Did it once a few weeks ago, but didn't use a vest. Utilized "Cindy" breakdown for the calithenics, 20 sets of 5/10/15. Ended sometime in the 38th minute, and would like to match that time along with the vest today.

Probably my favorite Crossfit workout, one for the story behind it, and two for the great physical test it is. I've read a few individuals completing (w/o vest) in the 22nd minute, which is absolutely intense. 5 minute miles before and after, and blazing through the calisthenics.

Dancebot, you in on this one?!!?! Big day brutha

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Count me in!!! I'll be doing it with my Flak jacket too.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Change of plans. I just called my buddy to get him on it to, but he's throwing this one at me and he needs a partner so, Murph will have to wait.

Fight on Friday - "Knees to the Ball"

Three rounds of:
Jumping Squats with 45 lb. barbell
Burpees
Thai Clinch Knees to Med Ball (partner holds ball - both knees equals one rep)
95/65 lb. Hang Power Cleans
45/30 lb. L-Seated Press

Teams of two, one partner working through entire workout while other counts repetitions; then switch roles. Move from each of the five stations after one minute. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of "rotate", the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Change of plans. I just called my buddy to get him on it to, but he's throwing this one at me and he needs a partner so, Murph will have to wait.

Fight on Friday - "Knees to the Ball"

Three rounds of:
Jumping Squats with 45 lb. barbell
Burpees
Thai Clinch Knees to Med Ball (partner holds ball - both knees equals one rep)
95/65 lb. Hang Power Cleans
45/30 lb. L-Seated Press

Teams of two, one partner working through entire workout while other counts repetitions; then switch roles. Move from each of the five stations after one minute. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of "rotate", the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep.
Nice dude, that's a solid Fight Gone Bad right there. Jumping squats to burpees sounds brutal! Have yet to do jumping squats with the bar, but I think I can imagine how difficult that can get past 30 reps... nonetheless 5 rounds. Good stuff man!

Ran Murph @ 45:48... very humbling workout. The squats DESTROYED me... went with the 5/10/15 split, Cindy style, but I took maybe 27 minutes to complete the 20 rounds. Pullups came well, pushups came well, but those squats.. yowzas. Definitly an area I need to improve. The last mile was like 11:00 LOL. Fun stuff... looking forward to getting that number down.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My Fight on Friday score

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have heard about it. Though I do not know enough about it to determine whether or not I agree with it. A guy at my work is a power lifter and he says he wants to get into this to try and lose some weight.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I did crossfit training when I was prepping for SFAS. It really helped to make it thru the course.

r3v3r3nd

Awards
I am pretty new to CrossFit, but I love it. In fact, I am going to get my Level I cert in January with the aspirations of opening a gym in my hometown.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I am pretty new to CrossFit, but I love it. In fact, I am going to get my Level I cert in January with the aspirations of opening a gym in my hometown.
Awesome. Good luck! I too have been eyeballing the level 1 cert for some time now, but my motives are mainly just to have a better understanding of the "koolaid"! The community at the certs make for the quite a fun weekend as well, so I've been told numerous times.

Since this thread has been resurrected, maybe we can sound off where we train! Do you train at an affiliate? I suppose I'll start, and say that I'm a garage-gym go-er at the moment. Restricted a bit by travel times, but possibly looking to get to an affiliate soon. How about you?

holdcenter

Awards
I love crossfit when im training for a fight it is great for strength and cutting.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did train at crossfitsocal. Now I train with crossfitalexandria at there sessions on base. Other than that it's mostly on my own.