Chest workouts, not getting the chest.

Reverin

Reverin

Awards
Been struggling a lot in the chest area. I do understand my lifts on chest, they are proper and well done. As far as my training workout went for these 2 months it has been 6 days a week chest/back every other day. 4-5 chest workouts per session with 2 being inclined. I do get great pumps and size during the sessions but just dont seem to be gaining inches at all. I do use Glass's lifting techniques and also NSCA cert lifts and techniques.

Brief Summary over 2 month period, while on Mass FX Hyperdrol x2 and Retain 2 supplements.

Incline Bench/dumbell- I switch it up just for muscle guessing
5 sets (1 being warm up) 15 10 10 8 6
Dumbell Flatbench.
4 sets 10 10 8 6
Decline Bench/dumbell
4 sets 10 10 8 6
Incline DB Fly
4 sets 10 reps
Pec Deck/DB flat bench fly
4 sets 10-12

I do switch between cables some days; again to keep things as un-similar as possible.

Bench Max: 305
Height: 6'6

Been having some shoulder problems lately so ill be taking a few weeks off from chest, I might even just do fly's all day since I get the greatest feel from them. Input is appreciated, thanks for reading.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
If I understand you correctly you're working your chest 3x per week, 17-21 sets. While I agree with your reps, I think you are way over-training in both frequency and sets. I don’t know your history but here’s how it generally goes. When you first start working out anything works. This is partly because you are so far from your genetic potential. As you develop you increase the intensity of your works and you come closer to potential. This requires a longer recovery period.

I would guess, at most you should be doing 2x/week and 12-15 sets, but really, I would recommend 1/week at around 12.

Personally, I never got anything out of declines except weaker. I’ve heard opinions that they don’t work your chest all that different than flats, other people swear by them. Also, I’d rather do 5 sets of flats and 4 of inclines, but I don’t think flats vs inclines is your problem.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea i definitely agree you are doing that workout way too often. May want to cut down on the frequency of lifting, or lower the volume within each session

Reverin

Reverin

Awards
Sounds good, I know I did the 1 once per week for while, felt great for the first few days then felt week so I'd probably try 2x a week then. Main thing is I dont want to give myself more than 3 days rest between; will probably switch to a mon tues, thurs friday workout regiment.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good, I know I did the 1 once per week for while, felt great for the first few days then felt week so I'd probably try 2x a week then. Main thing is I dont want to give myself more than 3 days rest between; will probably switch to a mon tues, thurs friday workout regiment.
Another couple of thoughts. If you're doing back the same day as chest then you really should cut back on the number of sets (assuming you're puting the same amount of effort into back). Otherwise, this seems like a real long wo.

If you go 1/wk you're not really taking a 6 day break. You'll hit your shoulders during the week. You'll hit your tri's again with your arms and you can do some chest work by just doing something like close grips on your triceps day.

If you still want to do that second day, I would suggest lessening the intensity, like go lighter with higher reps.

good luck.

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another couple of thoughts. If you're doing back the same day as chest then you really should cut back on the number of sets (assuming you're puting the same amount of effort into back). Otherwise, this seems like a real long wo.

If you go 1/wk you're not really taking a 6 day break. You'll hit your shoulders during the week. You'll hit your tri's again with your arms and you can do some chest work by just doing something like close grips on your triceps day.

If you still want to do that second day, I would suggest lessening the intensity, like go lighter with higher reps.

good luck.

yeah thats the way i do it chest once a week, and i literally stay sore for around 5 days....

for your chest id recommend some heavy weighted dips, and on bench press, bring the weight down slow, a GOOD pause, then explode back to the top, if you can do good pauses in the bottom portion, it should help your chest

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And make sure you feel your chest contracting.

Reverin

Reverin

Awards
hit a suprasspinateous injury during benching last week so Ill be out of chest lifting a few weeks, I have done "negatives" (essentric) things a few weeks I think ill get back on them. If the recomendation is chest once a week, same thing with every muscle group? When I was doin once a week my arms felt very weak no matter how hard I pushed em.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have read it put like this once."If you feed an elephant and mouse the same amount,the elephant will die,and the mouse will get fat"That being said,some,maybe most,hit arms once a week.I always feel my arms could be slightly bigger,so i will hit mine twice a week,even when hitting everything else once.One day on their own,then bi's or tri's paired with other muscle.You can check out FST 7 by Hany Rambod in the training section for a split example.