Big Lats

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Banned
    Answers

Very true.I love full deads and have perfect form,but rack deads are another story.I keep my back arched like you would with reg deads,but i feel pain in lower back,i feel no pain whatsoever with full deads.What was the pro's name that helped you?
    I just started to realise that i may of been keeping the bar away from my body,not sure but i may have been.This was a while ago they hurt my back and when i tried them again i felt the same pain to a much lesser extent that ended up getting bad,so i dismissed them altogether.Right now i'm doing upper mon and thurs and legs tues and fri.Sometimes i don't do deads cause of sore hamstrings,so i will prob try rack deads mon keeping the bar close as with reg deads

2. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    really never? I do it like 1 out of every 5-6 workouts, and it seems to work well. I wouldnt' do it every back workout, thats for sure.
    Never. Would you work you triceps BEFORE you bench press?

If you did your triceps would fail before adequately taxing your chest...

...same w/ the back. You want your biceps to be fresh because they will be involved in all pulling movements...they are necessarily involved in pulling movements...

You also want your biceps to be in their stongest position as well. Here is Arthur Jones had to say about it the first bulletin he ever published (by-the-way there is a lot of very good information in those old bulletins):

The Latissimus muscle; most bodybuilders perform exercises for the
    Latissimus muscles with a wide grip - under the sincere, but badly mistaken, impression that
    such a wide hand spacing provides more "stretch" than would be afforded by a narrower grip.
    Secondly, all conventional forms of chinning and "pull-down" exercises for the Latissimus
    muscles involve working the upper arm muscles; and as noted previously, the weakness of
    these arm muscles prevents the trainee from working the torso muscles as hard as he should
    for best results. This being true, then why do most bodybuilders work their Latissimus muscles
    with the arms in their weakest possible position?

We have already seen that the arms are strongest (for bending) when the hands are twisted
    into a supinated position; this being so, then why make the arms any weaker than necessary -
    when they are already too weak for the production of best results even in their strongest
    position? Yet most bodybuilders do exactly that; they work their Latissimus muscles while
    keeping the arms twisted into their weakest possible position.

By simply giving the hands the maximum possible twist in the direction of full supination, the
    bending strength of the arms will be markedly increased; and it will then be possible to work the
    Latissimus muscles much harder than it would have been with the hands in a pronated position.
  3. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I do also do tris before chest about every 6th week. It seems to help actually. It may be that it just helps more with pulling different stabilizers in to help, i'm not really sure.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    •   

4. Banned
    Answers

definately thinking outside the box easye.Is that you in your avatar?If so,is it recent?You don't look 190,i guess all i got is the traps to base this off of.
  5. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pantera101 View Post
    definately thinking outside the box easye.Is that you in your avatar?If so,is it recent?You don't look 190,i guess all i got is the traps to base this off of.
    yeah, half is around my waistline :P I'm 190something at around 16-17% bf.

I know I read it from one of the big name trainers, maybe on t-nation, the idea of doing the bis before back, or tris before chest occasionally just as a shocker. I just can't recall where the article was. It has seemed to work for me, I do put up higher #s the next workout. I wouldn't think of doing it for every workout.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pantera101 View Post
    Very true.I love full deads and have perfect form,but rack deads are another story.I keep my back arched like you would with reg deads,but i feel pain in lower back,i feel no pain whatsoever with full deads.What was the pro's name that helped you?
    I just started to realise that i may of been keeping the bar away from my body,not sure but i may have been.This was a while ago they hurt my back and when i tried them again i felt the same pain to a much lesser extent that ended up getting bad,so i dismissed them altogether.Right now i'm doing upper mon and thurs and legs tues and fri.Sometimes i don't do deads cause of sore hamstrings,so i will prob try rack deads mon keeping the bar close as with reg deads
    When doing racks I start out at knee level with the bar touching my knee caps. The bar stays in contact with my thighs the entire range up. Since I started doing that I have never had any back pains.

I am a little embarrassed because I can not remember the pro's full name. His first name was Warren. He works out at the Gold's Gym in Midland, TX. I was there traveling for work for 6 weeks this summer and got to know him while I was there. He had retired from professional competition but he was still freaking huge. He was the biggest guy I have ever seen personally. He was a tremendous help to anyone that had a question. Helped me more in 6 weeks than any thing I have ever read.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

try some snatch grip deads, emphasize on spreading the lats out at the top of the movement, when your glutes are tightening

hit your pull's/chin's ups from every damn angle you can think of,
    wide grip pulls, close grip pulls, close grip chins, strernum pulls etc.

STRETCH!!!
    start stretching your lats like a mother, twice a day.
    hang from a bar, till your grip gives out,
    stretch them out by squating in front of a vertical pole (powerrack frame) and pull your lats out, one at a time, hold the postion for like 30 secs.

Practice, you gotta practice pushing them out, stand in front of a mirror and really try to push them out, you gotta play around with it for a bit, but it will come
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  260 lbs.
    Answers

thanks everyone...Ive tried deadlift two days ago and yes this might be the missing part of my exercise
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    hmmm nobody mentioned this. instead of grabbing the pulldown or other bars (row, etc) normally, do it without your thumbs. What i mean is have your thumbs be on the same side of the bar as your fingers, rather than wrapping around the other side. Then visualize your hands as just hooks. This helps take your biceps out of the equation.

The other thing you can do is work biceps first, then back. that will really help remove them from being active during the rows + pulldowns, but you will have to significantly reduce your normal working weights.
    this is perfect, all my pull downs and rows are done this way. i try to think of the foreams as just a hook on my elbows..... focus on pulling your elbows back behind you or to your sides and try not to flex your bis as much as possible.

I like the hammer strength machines especially the front lat iso pulldown, I do them one arm after the other allowing the other arm to stay extended under tension whil the other one can really focus on pulling with the lat, again using no thumbs, and alternating back and forth. Its a great exercise and works just as well if you have individual cable pull downs for each arm.
  10. MovinWeight

Quote Originally Posted by cranghel099 View Post
    try some snatch grip deads, emphasize on spreading the lats out at the top of the movement, when your glutes are tightening
    This is an interesting idea and something I've never tried. A snatch grip is usually a very wide grip right? Like almost near the ends of the bar? I might have to try these.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. uneven lats
    By liftallday123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
  2. help me build lats
    By greekgeorge in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 12:07 AM
  3. Dam Lats
    By hog928 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 09:04 PM
  4. Try this for Lats and Bi's
    By Matt6969 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 12:54 AM
  5. How many ml can you put in your lats?
    By Mr.Striation in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 04:51 PM