I CANNOT get my shoulders sore

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by maynehood171 View Post
    I love neg reps!...I throw them into just about everything...
    Well if your shoulders are as massive as harlans,i will have to try them................Just messing with you harlan,i use negatives some times too,by lowering the weight real slow.I train by myself so i don't have someone to pull the weight up for me.I like to explode up,and then fight the neg.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.89%

Quote Originally Posted by pantera101 View Post
    Well if your shoulders are as massive as harlans,i will have to try them................Just messing with you harlan,i use negatives some times too,by lowering the weight real slow.I train by myself so i don't have someone to pull the weight up for me.I like to explode up,and then fight the neg.
    Hahah...I really only like spotters to have to help me finish out a few more on my llast set...I concur with your light weight statement...
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated
    Originally Posted by Aggravated
    Do some moves that you do not normally do. I notice sometimes that if I over train I wont get sore either. Until I started working out with an IFBB pro I only got sore a couple times a week as well. You must squeeze through your rep, and flex between sets. Should work for sure!
    I would feel to gay to flex in the gym
    Flexing *at home in front of the mirror* is gay

Flexing (or stretching, or just keeping moving) in the gym is part of your workout. You're supposed to by totally focused on your lift, your breathing, until the end of your set, at which point, your attention is on keeping the blood flowing through the tissues you were just working - it's important to do this *now* (your between-set rest) because those tissues need all the oxygen, all the nutrients they can get in order to heal & rebuild; they also need to have the waste products generated by your set removed ASAP. If you don't promote/stimulate fluid transport, those tissues will begin to swell as a result of the mechanical inflammation cause by lifting. This will prevent the removal of waste & detritus & block the repair crews.

At least stretch the primary & secondary movers (a towel will help), and go easy on them - nothing ballistic or extreme.

My 20 pfennigs, anyway
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.88%

Stretching isn't recommended during a workout but after it or in a separate session altogether. Stretching during a workout can cause microtears in the deep fascia and even form scar tissue. Also, stretching in between sets has shown to reduce strength output anywhere from 5-15%. Less weight moved=less adaptive response generated.

You do need to flush the muscle with nutrients and remove waste products but this can be obtained in a much safer and more efficient manner with low intensity cardio (bpm 120-140) and plenty of BCAA's before, during and after your workout.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.19%

pre exaust.....i wouldnt worry too much about getting sore...take care of your shoulders.....dont abuse them....youll thank me later
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.56%

I do mil presses with the three different raises only,and i have great shoulders too.I had a guy looking at my shoulders and say "i need to start traing mine" the other day.If your shoulders get sore from benching,you're probabaly using shoulders to help push the weight which is bad.It takes away from the chest,and will cause pains.I guess you have been traing for 20 years though,so who am i to say?Thats just what i heard,to keep your shoulders "rolled back"and leave them through movement.
    Shoulders are always involved in a flat bench press, regardless of whether or not you are rolling them back during the exercise. This is a multi-muscle multi-joint exercise that will engage your shoulders for sure.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.56%

Quote Originally Posted by goslamacamel View Post
    I can go really heavy on deadlifts or shrugs and get my traps destroyed for the next day or two. But my anterior, later, and posterior deltoids have never been sore to the best of my knowledge. My anterior deltoids are pretty big, and my posteriors are decent, but my laterals are like small bumps that are dwarfed by my anteriors. I've been doing heavy upright rows supersetted with light sets, lots of lateral raises, lots of experimental lightweight lateral deltoid isolation, but to absolutely no avail. I've even done 3 sets of lateral raises with 50 lb dumbbells started off with a jump and doing forced negative reps, but never even felt like I worked them the next day. I even did clean and presses with 160 for the first time ever in attempt to annihilate my shoulders, but of course no soreness and also no real growth. All other bodyparts I can make sore if I really try, and have no real problems forcing them to grow, but my lateral deltoids in particular are very stubborn. Any ideas? I've basically done all shoulder exercises I've ever heard of with high and low weight...
    Am I the only one that caught this? I can see you're trying to get forced negatives with that much weight but is it really necessary? You clean and press 160 and you are doing laterals with 50 lb dumbbells?? I clean and press with much more than 160 a few times a week and I use 15 lb dumbbells when I do lateral raises. I know you are just using this exercise as an example, but you can still get a great shoulder workout without increasing the weight that much...just leave your ego at the door and try using MUCH lighter weight. Most of the guys I see in the gym use waaaay too much weight on lateral/bent/front raises, and they end up using many major muscle groups on an isolation exercise...WTF? When you see a guy using the entire sway of his body to do a front raise then something is very wrong! If you concentrate on only using your shoulders and performing very slow negatives with lower weight you WILL feel the burn.
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Botch View Post
    Am I the only one that caught this? I can see you're trying to get forced negatives with that much weight but is it really necessary? You clean and press 160 and you are doing laterals with 50 lb dumbbells?? I clean and press with much more than 160 a few times a week and I use 15 lb dumbbells when I do lateral raises. I know you are just using this exercise as an example, but you can still get a great shoulder workout without increasing the weight that much...just leave your ego at the door and try using MUCH lighter weight. Most of the guys I see in the gym use waaaay too much weight on lateral/bent/front raises, and they end up using many major muscle groups on an isolation exercise...WTF? When you see a guy using the entire sway of his body to do a front raise then something is very wrong! If you concentrate on only using your shoulders and performing very slow negatives with lower weight you WILL feel the burn.
    I said I've EVEN done that. To do that I basically did jump squats with a slow negative once they were in the air. Normal lateral raises I go between 25 and 35, with about 15 reps and 8 reps respectively. And I hadn't done clean and presses ever before trying it out at 160, just started to incorporate them to get lateral muscle.
  9. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.81%

Quote Originally Posted by Botch View Post
    Shoulders are always involved in a flat bench press, regardless of whether or not you are rolling them back during the exercise. This is a multi-muscle multi-joint exercise that will engage your shoulders for sure.
    but you can minimize there involvement.If your shoulders get sore after chest day,you're using improper form.Every exercise requires other muscles to be used.But you learn and use proper form to minimize the others involvement.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.88%

11. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77%

I personally think that people commonly over train when it comes to shoulders! Think about the size of your delts in comparission to say your back or your legs! I bet most people do just as many if not more exercises for delts as for the other body parts!

Looking at your shoulder routine, I personally feel that you might be doing too much!! Beasting the hell out of your shoulders (or any other body part for that matter), unless your on the juice, will not make them bigger! People with smaller pecs also make this exact same mistake when working chest!

Don't forget that the lateral delt is a relatively small muscle and is bought into use during other bigger moves....talking about isolating it so much is fairly pointless! Personally I would remove all the decending weight work as it ends up being too much and I would never recommend behind neck pressing on the smith either....not a natural movement for your shoulder at all! Stick to the heavy compound moves your doing...arnold or dumbell shoulder press (always standing), clean and press....face pulls, heavy deadlift and heavy bench are also going help shoulder growth!

I was the same in the beginning, but now-a-days I do a maximum of 2 compound shoulder moves a week and my delts are the biggest they have ever been!
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Fever View Post
    I personally think that people commonly over train when it comes to shoulders! Think about the size of your delts in comparission to say your back or your legs! I bet most people do just as many if not more exercises for delts as for the other body parts!

Looking at your shoulder routine, I personally feel that you might be doing too much!! Beasting the hell out of your shoulders (or any other body part for that matter), unless your on the juice, will not make them bigger! People with smaller pecs also make this exact same mistake when working chest!

Don't forget that the lateral delt is a relatively small muscle and is bought into use during other bigger moves....talking about isolating it so much is fairly pointless! Personally I would remove all the decending weight work as it ends up being too much and I would never recommend behind neck pressing on the smith either....not a natural movement for your shoulder at all! Stick to the heavy compound moves your doing...arnold or dumbell shoulder press (always standing), clean and press....face pulls, heavy deadlift and heavy bench are also going help shoulder growth!

I was the same in the beginning, but now-a-days I do a maximum of 2 compound shoulder moves a week and my delts are the biggest they have ever been!

fevers ga...actually i dont want a repeat
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.32%

I like the Hang Clean and Push Press.

This is a 'split' push press, but it works.

Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%

Problem solved guys.

Lateral deltoids are coming along slowly but surely, and showing more definition.

I attribute this primarily to facepulls on a row bench, leaned back slightly to activate lateral heads. And secondly, I attribute this to starting some olympic lifts. These include the basic clean, the clean to push-press, and the one-armed dumbbell snatch.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77%

Problem solved guys.

Lateral deltoids are coming along slowly but surely, and showing more definition.

I attribute this primarily to facepulls on a row bench, leaned back slightly to activate lateral heads. And secondly, I attribute this to starting some olympic lifts. These include the basic clean, the clean to push-press, and the one-armed dumbbell snatch.
    There you go man...good work...keep it up!!

P.S. Harlan kisses boys!
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Fever View Post
    There you go man...good work...keep it up!!

P.S. Harlan kisses boys!
    SHHHH!!!!! People look at these posts!!!!
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

seems too high volume unless you're a bodybuilder on some gear. i'd lower it to two exercises. that's just me, but hey, i'm not that great at this workout stuff right now.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.55%

Problem solved guys.

I have been doing a modified Bill Starr 5x5 for 5 weeks now that uses the overhead press and I have seen a lot of improvement in my shoulders. Each rep I take the weight from a hang clean to the press.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Joints - sore sore sore :(
    By edwitt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 03:17 AM
  2. REALLY sore after bicep workout...not a good sore
    By TheNinja in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-23-2009, 03:02 PM
  3. Shoulders have been sore on Test-E
    By Atheloop in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0