need help with calf problem please!!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

need help with calf problem please!!

hey everyone,

here is my dilemma...

i'm trying to train and get in shape for a career in law enforcement, but evertime I go running, which is usually about 3.5 miles i try to do mon, wed, fri and possibly on the weekends depending on my work schedule and on tues and thurs and again posibly on sat or sunday i like to do jumping jacks or jump rope for an extended period of time...

But when i do these things they put such a strain on my calves that i end up having to take a few days off from running or whatever kind of cardio i am interested in doing because my calves are so sore... I was wondering and hoping that there are some people out there who have experienced this problem and know of a way to reduce the soreness..

BCAAs are a staple for whenever or whatever i am training for but it seems that alone has not been enough to buffer the soreness of my calfs, i cant afford to have to sit and rest for three days after one day of training but also i dont want to injure my calves by pushing them too hard...

Do i up to amount of BCAAs im taking in on training days??! is there another approach to training cardiovasccularly that would be beneficial other than what I listed?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

sounds like DOMS to me.

Uh, not a doctor or a professional but some possible suggestions

digestive enzymes? (bromelain, etc.) on an empty stomach 1 hour before you eat

fish oil/cissus?

are you drinking enough water?

beta-alanine?

replenishing electrolytes/carbs during/after you run?

As for the BCAAs, a lot of people to up their dosages on training days. If you don't have any of the other products, I'd start there, and also make sure you're drinking at least a gallon of water a day.

Maybe we'll get some more minds together on this and come up with something that may help you out.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

thanks man i appreciate the help, i try to drink alot of water, but i think im definately falling short of a gallon a day.

I also considered cissus but wasnt sure if it would help with muscle soreness like that, i thought it was more for joint relief.

Thanks again for the tips and yea i hope something comes along soon so i can blast past thing stupid issue and really train!!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I used to have a similar problem. Try using a precor machine for cardio or a treadmill on low speed and high incline. A few weeks of doing that and the pain should subside.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Id recommend looking into a good pair of running shoes if you havent already. Replace them often if youre going to run 3 times a week. Maybe look into your running form/technique and pay attention to how your feet make impact and such. I dont know, Im just throwing this stuff out there. Im sure youre not retarded, so Im not trying to imply that you dont know how to run. I was in the Marine Corps, and once I looked into getting tips on my running technique i dropped my 3 mile time from around 21 minutes to just over 18 minutes. But I think shoes were the most important part for me.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Isn't Taurine supposed to help with DOMS?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. standing calf raises vs seated calf machine.
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM
  2. Calf injury
    By Fergs103 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 01:22 PM
  3. Calf Pumps
    By CryingEmo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 05:22 PM
  4. Calf Issues