need help with calf problem please!!

milkmuscles

Awards
hey everyone,

here is my dilemma...

i'm trying to train and get in shape for a career in law enforcement, but evertime I go running, which is usually about 3.5 miles i try to do mon, wed, fri and possibly on the weekends depending on my work schedule and on tues and thurs and again posibly on sat or sunday i like to do jumping jacks or jump rope for an extended period of time...

But when i do these things they put such a strain on my calves that i end up having to take a few days off from running or whatever kind of cardio i am interested in doing because my calves are so sore... I was wondering and hoping that there are some people out there who have experienced this problem and know of a way to reduce the soreness..

BCAAs are a staple for whenever or whatever i am training for but it seems that alone has not been enough to buffer the soreness of my calfs, i cant afford to have to sit and rest for three days after one day of training but also i dont want to injure my calves by pushing them too hard...

Do i up to amount of BCAAs im taking in on training days??! is there another approach to training cardiovasccularly that would be beneficial other than what I listed?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
sounds like DOMS to me.

Uh, not a doctor or a professional but some possible suggestions

digestive enzymes? (bromelain, etc.) on an empty stomach 1 hour before you eat

fish oil/cissus?

are you drinking enough water?

beta-alanine?

replenishing electrolytes/carbs during/after you run?

As for the BCAAs, a lot of people to up their dosages on training days. If you don't have any of the other products, I'd start there, and also make sure you're drinking at least a gallon of water a day.

Maybe we'll get some more minds together on this and come up with something that may help you out.

milkmuscles

Awards
thanks man i appreciate the help, i try to drink alot of water, but i think im definately falling short of a gallon a day.

I also considered cissus but wasnt sure if it would help with muscle soreness like that, i thought it was more for joint relief.

Thanks again for the tips and yea i hope something comes along soon so i can blast past thing stupid issue and really train!!

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I used to have a similar problem. Try using a precor machine for cardio or a treadmill on low speed and high incline. A few weeks of doing that and the pain should subside.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Id recommend looking into a good pair of running shoes if you havent already. Replace them often if youre going to run 3 times a week. Maybe look into your running form/technique and pay attention to how your feet make impact and such. I dont know, Im just throwing this stuff out there. Im sure youre not retarded, so Im not trying to imply that you dont know how to run. I was in the Marine Corps, and once I looked into getting tips on my running technique i dropped my 3 mile time from around 21 minutes to just over 18 minutes. But I think shoes were the most important part for me.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Isn't Taurine supposed to help with DOMS?