Strapping on the cleats once again: Rugby advice needed - AnabolicMinds.com

Strapping on the cleats once again: Rugby advice needed

Strapping on the cleats once again: Rugby advice needed

I start my first rugby practice tonight. I am:

6"2
    230lbs
    10-15% bodyfat

I have been training for strength for the last 3 years. I had no other goal than to lift more weight. Now, after 8 years I am returning to the field. I am an ex-football player. I played American football for 12 years, and was pretty bad ass in my day. But now, I need as much advice as you guys can give me about changing my training program to be the best rugby player I can be, ect.

2. MovinWeight

Well I believe what your doing already should be fine most likely. You would want a more strength focused routine, rather than mass building. I don't know if your already doing cardio or not, but if not then you defiantly want to add some a couple days a week. It will help get you back in cardiovascular shape and maybe drop a few pounds of unneeded fat.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that. I have been running using HIT cardio. Luckily the place a stay at is on a loop, so I can run laps around my neighborhood. I run at a high speed for 3/4 the loop, and then walk the last 1/4 to catch my breath. The loop is about a 1/2 mile. I try to run the loop faster each day, and add more laps.
    •   

4. MovinWeight

I would say that the weight training your currently doing is probably fine. Just make sure once you start playing your not training so hard that your over training because the added intensity of playing rugby will make it more difficult to recover from high intensity weight training.

I would just add in some sprints and do some more agility work to just try to get you back into an athletic and agile shape.
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

If you have a solid strength base already, big squat, big bench, big Deads, my recommendation would be to increase your power. Strength and power are two different concepts. Strength can be summarized in laymen's terms has, how much weight you can push, power can be summarized as, how fast you can move that weight. Power=work/time which equates to velocity & explosiveness, which is very helpful in Rugby.

You can train your neural system to perform at an accelerated speed. Increased velocity adaption(s) include increased neuron firing, on top of increased velocity from increased neuron firing, this would also increase your ability to react to a stimulus. Increased coordination of motor unit firing for maximal explosiveness. I could go on.

If you've played American ball successfully, then you should be well versed in the good old Clean and Jerk, Snatch, Power Press exercises. Move your way from 5 to single reps for maximal power adaption(s).

Strength makes you strong, but it doesn't make you athletic. You can bench 700lbs and have a 20sec 40 time, just slow as hell. Power and Velocity, your ability to move, react and direct your body in high speed, explosive manner does make you athletic. Considering you already have a strong strength base, increasing your power/velocity would be make you a very nasty hurt'n machine.
    NSCA - CSCS

i did rugby for about two years in high school, for me I found really strengthening my shoulder/upper pecs/traps helped tremendously to take the impact of tackles agaisnt others.

Do HIT cardio but make the "low intensity" phase more of a moderate intensity (130 bpm). This will simulate a game situation where you burst with the ball or to a ruck, then quickly jog into position for the next phase before doing it all over again. Also consider changing up the durations at random rather than doing 1:30 light 1:30 all out, again to simulate a game situation.

As far as weights go, assuming you are playing THIS season (IE right now) just keep the volume moderate and don't overtrain, I've had numerous shoulder injuries in practices simply because I had weakened the muscles too much prior to practice with intense lifting. For next season you will want to start prepping your muscles ahead of time with almost a pre-contest sort of training approach, that is a few heavy sets to maintain strength followed by all out marathon sets, squats with 225 or 315 for 20+, supersets and tri sets and the like. This will get your muscles and your heart in shape for what you'll be needing endurance wise.

What position are you going to be playing? Some sort of loose forward I would imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
    Do HIT cardio but make the "low intensity" phase more of a moderate intensity (130 bpm). This will simulate a game situation where you burst with the ball or to a ruck, then quickly jog into position for the next phase before doing it all over again. Also consider changing up the durations at random rather than doing 1:30 light 1:30 all out, again to simulate a game situation.

As far as weights go, assuming you are playing THIS season (IE right now) just keep the volume moderate and don't overtrain, I've had numerous shoulder injuries in practices simply because I had weakened the muscles too much prior to practice with intense lifting. For next season you will want to start prepping your muscles ahead of time with almost a pre-contest sort of training approach, that is a few heavy sets to maintain strength followed by all out marathon sets, squats with 225 or 315 for 20+, supersets and tri sets and the like. This will get your muscles and your heart in shape for what you'll be needing endurance wise.

What position are you going to be playing? Some sort of loose forward I would imagine?

Yeah, I am a forward. Last night was a leg day, and I couldn't lift ****. The practice from the night before must have really took a lot out of me. This doesn't surprise me, because I remember the same thing happening to me during football season in high school.
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Yeah, I am a forward. Last night was a leg day, and I couldn't lift ****. The practice from the night before must have really took a lot out of me. This doesn't surprise me, because I remember the same thing happening to me during football season in high school.
    Ya you will probably have to time your leg days better during the week. Dont even train them when season comes around. You will get all the leg work you need in practice and games, especially since your a forward. Take it from and ex-forwared himself. cardio is your friend.

Similar Forum Threads

1. OTC PCT Advice needed
    By angel77 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM
  2. advice please needed
    By pitman in forum Celtic Labs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
  3. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
  4. Football cleats. Anyone have some they would sell?
    By LakeMountD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 03:28 PM