Hernias And Weight Belts

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
I recently bought a suede powerlifting belt for around 80 bucks. Its much stiffer than my old belt and seemed to be helping out my squat a lot. It seemed to hold tighter and help me more. I had been using it for about three weeks with great results when i realized two small hernias. I noticed the hernias the day after deadlifting 500-3 with the belt. One is right above where the belt was at my belly button and the other was right under where the belt was by my right hip. Could this belt have given me the hernias by being so tight and sturdy? :clean:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I recently bought a suede powerlifting belt for around 80 bucks. Its much stiffer than my old belt and seemed to be helping out my squat a lot. It seemed to hold tighter and help me more. I had been using it for about three weeks with great results when i realized two small hernias. I noticed the hernias the day after deadlifting 500-3 with the belt. One is right above where the belt was at my belly button and the other was right under where the belt was by my right hip. Could this belt have given me the hernias by being so tight and sturdy? :clean:
Sounds more like a minor (temporary?) blood clot or imprinted skin clump. I could see how extreme compression of the skin could cause a superficial clot or skin imprint. A hernia "as a result" of the belt seems unlikely, but I'm not saying it's impossible. Plus, I believe hernias are unmistakably painful.

Are those lifts/clumps still there?

Are those clots still there?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
i went to the doc and there two small hernias. one inguinal and one umbilical. there not painful at all and wouldn't even be noticed if i wasn't looking for them. but the belt also somehow bruised my back left lower rib.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
i have to get surgery in two weeks to repair them

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Wow, that sucks. I've never come across or heard of that, but then again, I don't know a lot of people (other then myself) who deads 500lbs.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
yeah well i dont think i should have been. I had been going way to heavy and too hard for too long and not taking breaks. I guess thats what happens when ure 18 and dont wana listen to the people who say stay home.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
yeah well i dont think i should have been. I had been going way to heavy and too hard for too long and not taking breaks. I guess thats what happens when ure 18 and dont wana listen to the people who say stay home.
The hardest part for serious lifters isn't having the discipline to get into the gym, its having the discipline to stay out.

Rest is such a basic, simple and logical concept, but even veteran lifters can struggle with getting appropriate rest or having the wisdom to listen to your body when its screaming for you to cut back.

For me, the hardest part about bodybuilding isn't kicking your own @$$ to the point of sweating bullets. The hardest part for me is cutting back on intensity or rest all together. So you're not alone in that stubborn boat, it took injuries to make me listen to my body.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i guess 4 months without a day off was pushing it. But ill learn and hopefully get my max back up around 550 before football season .