advice for leg training

jcreedon

jcreedon

Awards
I am currently taking mdrol and feel that my legs are realy lagging compared to the strength gains for the rest of my body. My current routine is squat 3x10 leg press 3x10 then a drop set of 50 leg curls 3x15 leg extensions 3x15 and then calves. Any advice would be great

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your hams are getting very little work. Add in SLDL and lunges (DB, BB, walking, etc.)

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have read more than once while the quads respond very well to high reps,the hams are best at 6-8 reps(lower reps)Stiff leg deads are the best ham exercise once you get them down.Try leaning back as you go down if you have trouble feeling them work.Best tip i ever got for a particular execise.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't recommend that because you are stressing them 2x/wk.
I use to divide legs up,some pro's still do,it's a personal thing.Now i would just rather get it over with,it keeps the pace up when i know i'm hitting all three(quads,hams,calves)I am doing a "full body split"right now,so legs get hit twice a week.tues-4x 4-8back sq's,4x 6-8sl deads,lots of calf raises
fri-3 x15-20front sq's,3 x10-12sl deads,lots of calf raises
Sq's are as deep as possible.Anyways i have been seeing good results with this.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use to divide legs up,some pro's still do,it's a personal thing.Now i would just rather get it over with,it keeps the pace up when i know i'm hitting all three(quads,hams,calves)I am doing a "full body split"right now,so legs get hit twice a week.tues-4x 4-8back sq's,4x 6-8sl deads,lots of calf raises
fri-3 x15-20front sq's,3 x10-12sl deads,lots of calf raises
Sq's are as deep as possible.Anyways i have been seeing good results with this.
I wouldn't base anything off of a pro's routine. They're the exception, not the rule.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't base anything off of a pro's routine. They're the exception, not the rule.
True,but you usually don't want to follow their volume/frequency or laziness(lots of machines)Theirs a couple big guys at my gym that use nothing but machines and cables.I always wonder how much bigger they'd be if they started doing "heavy,old school" type lifting.I seen good gains in dividing the hams and calves from the quads,i did it for a long time,but switched for previous mentioned reasons.I also used to get sick during/after sq's.The articles i have read usually say if you have the energy to hit all in one then do it,if not divide them,and it makes sence.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hi Rep Deep Squat Works For Me.. Try 3x15
I'll second that.I also like low rep sq's to hopefully encourage faster strength gains to lift more on the high rep sq's,I like 3x20 myself.I read in MD charles glass suggested when starting out to mainly stay in the normal and lower reps to build strength and foundation first,said 20 rep sq's with the bar are nothing like 20 rep sq's with 225,i dream of that day.That being said i love results from 20 rep sq's and the last time i did them,front,i got up to 95,possibly could of done 105 but prob would of fell short of 20 reps,i use to not get that heavy,i have been doing them off and on for a while now.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
For heavy legs exercises(squats and leg presses) i prefer 5 sets, 2 warm-ups and 3 working sets. warm-up reps 8-12 reps, working sets 6-8reps. If you are looking for gains then use a weight that you proably cannot do 3 working sets of 6 reps. Increase when you can.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
Definately add hams in and dont split them up. Hit the leg press after sqauts, 1 leg at a time for 15 - 20 reps 2 sets, then hit the hams hard, you will feel like your going to puke. i actually do this and when im done i put feet in the middle, about 5 inches apart and heels together for a fast 10 -12 reps. i cant walk wwhen done.. but it works.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Do a google search for 20 rep breathing squats. It is old school, but works great. If you do go that route, you will eventually get used to the near blackouts and accompanying nausea that are a result of this routine. The size gains can be incredible. I highly recommend it

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I think for legs, a balanced approach, both in exercises and reps works best. I do something like:

Squats: 3 Sets of 5-8. Then 1 set of 20 (These should not be easy. Take as long as you want to finish the set, but never rack the weight).

SLDL: 3X6-10. Do these only as heavy as good form allows.

Lunges: 3X8-12. DB/BB works well. I prefer walking lunges.

Ham Curls Superset W/ Leg Extensions. Reps Can go anywhere from 8-15 for me.

Calves too, but I find people have their own preferences on training them, so do what you find works for them.

I think training in the lower rep ranges and the higher ranges, all the while nailing quads, hams, and glutes should build a solid pair of legs. My legs are by far my best bodypart and this is how I got them to grow a ton.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is always to 3 set quad WO:
Do a set of 6-8 on Front Squats, rack the weight and then do a set of 15-20 on back squats. Lather, rinse, repeat 3x.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
There is always to 3 set quad WO:
Do a set of 6-8 on Front Squats, rack the weight and then do a set of 15-20 on back squats. Lather, rinse, repeat 3x.
Sounds fun...DAMN. I need to try that.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I haven't done it in a long time, but it is a great breaker of monotony and an insane test of guile.
Nice. The one I usually do when I need that is:

1.)8 Squats
2.)Lunge (DB) over to Leg Extension Machine (Should be 8 per leg)
3.)Do 8 Leg Extensions
4.)Walk back to rack, Add 10 pounds to Squats, Do 5
5.)Walk back to Extension Machine, Lunge Back with DB's
6.)Add 10 pounds, do 2-3 squats.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

1.)8 Squats
3.)Do 8 Leg Extensions
I'm sore from just reading that.:cheers:

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I'm sore from just reading that.:cheers:
O yeah!

It's great, it really forces you to stabilize a ton on the squats. Gotta stay tight, even when tired.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established

1.)8 Squats
3.)Do 8 Leg Extensions
edit:i meant to have rodjas plan on their too

I love both.Might try on upcomming m-drol cycle.I love big legs,and forearms.The not so popular muscles.

Saurabh

Awards
I am currently taking mdrol and feel that my legs are realy lagging compared to the strength gains for the rest of my body. My current routine is squat 3x10 leg press 3x10 then a drop set of 50 leg curls 3x15 leg extensions 3x15 and then calves. Any advice would be great
Personally I started getting best result once I split my leg workout into seperate workouts for hams and quads.

My typical workout is generally as following:

1) Leg curls(hams)
2) Front squats(quads)
3) Single legged leg curls or SLDL(hams)
4) Leg extension of leg press(quads)

Followed by 2 calves exercise.

One week I start with hams and next time I start with quads. Also I gave up on Squats since I didnt get anything out of it except sore knees and back. My result went off the root since I started doing Front Squats, they are like a b**ch to do but stick by it and it will give you great results.

Link24

Awards
  • Established
The best leg routine i have ever put together to add size was this.
4 sets warming up on squats followed by 2 working sets between the 4-8 range. After those to working sets drop the weight so you can fail at 12. Then drop the weight again to fail at 20.

Rest for 2 minutes

Go to the leg press and use a close feet position and pick a weight that you do not reach failure and do 2 straight sets of 15.

Rest for 2 minutes

Now for barbell lunges my personal fave for legs. Here we are only doing 2 sets again but 1 set is close stance and the other long stance. So you hit both the front quads and the ham glutes in 2 different sets. Both of these are taken 2 failure between 8-10 reps

Rest 2 minutes.

Lastly, leg extentions and leg curls which are 1 set each of around 12-15 to faliure. Followed by a drop set of 50% of the weight so you can reach 20-30 reps.

After all the sets are complete do some quad and hams streches.