Most Important Upperbody Exercise

1. Most Important Upperbody Exercise

I guess it depends on your goals.

My workout yesterday was to do as many dips as I could in 15 minutes.

7 minutes into it I was doing sets of 2-3

This morning, I will safely say that dips hit my whole upper body better than any other single exercise.

2. you could do a pullup or chinup high enough, then dip, slowly lower down all the while with your legs out, that'd be pretty tight
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    you could do a pullup or chinup high enough, then dip, slowly lower down all the while with your legs out, that'd be pretty tight
    You mean a muscle-up?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

4. Is that what it's called?

Ok pull-up, muscle-up, dip, lower down, curse, rinse and repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You mean a muscle-up?

5. Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    Is that what it's called?

Ok pull-up, muscle-up, dip, lower down, curse, rinse and repeat
    They're even worse on rings.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

6. true!!!

I wish we had rings at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    They're even worse on rings.

7. Muscle ups sound awful.. And I can't help but want to try this out.. today is upper body too... Hmm...

8. Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I guess it depends on your goals.

My workout yesterday was to do as many dips as I could in 15 minutes.

7 minutes into it I was doing sets of 2-3

This morning, I will safely say that dips hit my whole upper body better than any other single exercise.
    Eventually you'll want to use some added weight though. I love dips, but I eventually got too used to doing them. I could do 10 sets of dips and not be sore the next day. I like to add some weight and do them at the end of my chest routine. I'm up to adding 100lbs now for around 6-8 reps. The most I've ever done without added weight was 60. I think it's a record in my gym, haha.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    Eventually you'll want to use some added weight though. I love dips, but I eventually got too used to doing them. I could do 10 sets of dips and not be sore the next day. I like to add some weight and do them at the end of my chest routine. I'm up to adding 100lbs now for around 6-8 reps. The most I've ever done without added weight was 60. I think it's a record in my gym, haha.
    Right on, I have a weight vest coming to me in the mail. I find it more balanced than using a belt with a hanging plate

10. For me at least, plyo is always supplemental to isotonic movements. I believe firmly in progressive overload, in an intensity and not necessarily volume sense. Your BW does not increase fast enough to work with progressive overload in that capacity. However, I love to throw in one plyo., movement at the end of a weight session. Medicine Ball pushups at the end of a bench session, for example.

(this is speaking in terms of muscle-building in the aesthetic and classical strength sense [as different fibres are worked and much functional strength gained with Plyo])
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Most Important Supplement ever!
    By Socrates44 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 231
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 01:05 AM
  2. Most important qualities of a Personal Trainer:
    By motiv8er in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 11:47 AM
  3. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 01:11 PM