Overhead sqats?

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Overhead squats?

Anyone else do them? I'm not sure that I've heard anyone on AM mention them. I love the things, they're almost up there with deads in my book.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
whats the point,if you want to work quads do back or front squats.If you want to work shoulders do mil presses and raises.In my opinion you shouldnt be able to pick up the weight and put it over your head,if your're doing sq's with it(well maybe high rep sq's which are good).Thats why i hate it when people curl in the sq rack,it's like staying in the fast lane,or not getting to the left or right at a stop sign or red light depending on what you're doing,it's just inconsiderate.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I snatch it to get it up there. I can snatch WAY more than military or push press. As for why I do them, because they're ****ing hard, and fun. My abs get the most out of it. And just for reference, I lift in my basement.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I love doing overhead squats. They will def kick your a**! All of the muscles used in a regular squat with the rest of your muscles added in for good measure.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Might try them sometime with a full body workout then,i switch from full body to split rouitines,right now i'm doing a hybrid,upper body mon and thurs and lower tues and fri,but might try them with a true full body wo.Back sq'smon,front sq'swed,and overhead sq's fri.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Might try them sometime with a full body workout then,i switch from full body to split rouitines,right now i'm doing a hybrid,upper body mon and thurs and lower tues and fri,but might try them with a true full body wo.Back sq'smon,front sq'swed,and overhead sq's fri.
Try doing a heavy 20-rep set like you'd do with front squats at least once. It's amazing how sure you'll be that you're going to die.:eek::thumbsup:

Powerhouse 48

Powerhouse 48

Awards
the point is core strength and stability more than working quads or shoulders, they are an awesome powerbuilding excercise in terms of strengthening the core, i love em, and they are taxing b/c they require alot of focus and coordination.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I snatch it to get it up there. I can snatch WAY more than military or push press. As for why I do them, because they're ****ing hard, and fun. My abs get the most out of it. And just for reference, I lift in my basement.
You can snatch more than you can push press? I don't think I can snatch half of what I push press. Overhead squats are an awesome exercise though, I need to do more.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You can snatch more than you can push press? I don't think I can snatch half of what I push press. Overhead squats are an awesome exercise though, I need to do more.
I was thinking the same thing. OH squats are fun and good practice for catching snatches low. Great core strengthener and also delt strengthener. Last time I tried 175 I kerplunked. I need to work more on them.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking the same thing. OH squats are fun and good practice for catching snatches low. Great core strengthener and also delt strengthener. Last time I tried 175 I kerplunked. I need to work more on them.
Yeah, I don't know. I could push press 225 back when I could only bench around 275, I remember attempting a snatch back then and bombing badly with 135.

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
whats the point,if you want to work quads do back or front squats.If you want to work shoulders do mil presses and raises.I\/QUOTE]

Or you can just do front squats and kill 3 flies in one hit, legs, core, shoulders:stick:
Love them, but then again I'm a sucker for compound movements. Why train 20% of your body when you can train 90%? Lately I've been experimenting with superseting compound movements. One of my favorite routines is deadlift/front squat. That is a bastard of a routine :eek: :jaw: but the endorphins you get after :woohoo: are worth all the pain. Doing an hour of bicep curls/hammer curls/preacher curls and all-possible-version-of- curls in comparison just leaves me flat and it is so BOOORING !!!!. Then again, the way you train depends on your personal goals, some people train to get that bicep peak, others train for strength, power and sense of achievement.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
my favorite exercise for Tabata sets hands down.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
my favorite exercise for Tabata sets hands down.

Tabata's are my go to movement for getting my clients to hate me.:twisted:
I've never tried just straight OH's for it, though, I've always just used thrusters and burpees.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
sounds like a killer exercise. i simply wouldn't trust myself doing them.i'd probably fall back and drop the weight on some poor guys head.