Newbie Help

paulygon

paulygon

Awards
Newbie Help:

I am looking to start a new cutting phase, and need any help with a new routine. Here is my training split right now:
Day one: Chest- 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps/ Triceps- 3 or 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps
Day two: Back- 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps / Biceps-3 or 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps
Day Three: Legs/ Forearms
Day Four; Shoulders- 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps / Traps

Chest: Incline, Decline, Flat, Flies
Bicep: Preachers: Standing or sitting- Cable/Free weight, Hammers, Incline Curls
Back: ¾ Dead lifts, Upper back flies or rows, Low narrow grip rows, High wide pull downs
Triceps: Skull crushers- free weight, kick backs- rope or d-bell, straight bar extensions
Legs: Squats, leg press- Sled, extensions, culs, standing calves, seat calves, abductor, adductor.
Shoulders: Press- Military or d-bell, lat. Raises, front raises, rear dealt flies, rear dealt pulls
Traps: Barbell Shrugs, Heavy Free weight shrugs.

Please help me set a new routine to help with my cutting/ dropping body fat.

Thanks,

Paul

paulygon

paulygon

Awards
Any help or ideas would be really appreciated!

Thanks again,

Paul

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Newbie Help:

I am looking to start a new cutting phase, and need any help with a new routine. Here is my training split right now:
Day one: Chest- 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps/ Triceps- 3 or 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps
Day two: Back- 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps / Biceps-3 or 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps
Day Three: Legs/ Forearms
Day Four; Shoulders- 4 Exercises: 4 sets- 8-12 reps / Traps

Chest: Incline, Decline, Flat, Flies
Bicep: Preachers: Standing or sitting- Cable/Free weight, Hammers, Incline Curls
Back: ¾ Dead lifts, Upper back flies or rows, Low narrow grip rows, High wide pull downs
Triceps: Skull crushers- free weight, kick backs- rope or d-bell, straight bar extensions
Legs: Squats, leg press- Sled, extensions, culs, standing calves, seat calves, abductor, adductor.
Shoulders: Press- Military or d-bell, lat. Raises, front raises, rear dealt flies, rear dealt pulls
Traps: Barbell Shrugs, Heavy Free weight shrugs.

Please help me set a new routine to help with my cutting/ dropping body fat.

Thanks,

Paul
Your volume and intensity are primed for muscle gain. You're in a good hypertrophic zone with your sets and reps. However, if you're primary goal is cutting body fat, here are my suggestions.

#1. Cardio is the most efficient way to dropping body fat (apart from dieting, I'm just talking about the physiological aspects of dropping weight). The best kind of cardio isn't relegated to EITHER static cardio vs HIIT (although HIIT is superior for fat burn), but the most efficient way for overall weight loss would be a healthy variation of the two.

#2. This is not to say you cannot use resistance training as part of a cutting program. You are currently lifting in a strong hypertrophic zone, which means your current program is superior for muscle size, however, if you wanted to use resistance training is a primary fat cutting tool, you'd have to do more of a total body workout program. For instance, you hold two dumbbells at your sides, maybe 30lbs. You drop down and do a push up with your Db's in hand, then squat yourself back to a standing position and do a shoulder press, both of those movements would be considered a single rep, and you'd do 12-15 reps of these. Or, starting with two Db's in hand, drop down and do a push, then with your right hand, pull the Db back like your doing a one arm Db row, drop back down and do another push then switch arms and do a one arm Db row with your left arm, all three movements combined, the push up, right arm db row, push up, left arm db row is one rep and you would do 12-15 of these. You can get as creative as you like, but the more muscle groups you include, the more total body it is, the more it'll be geared toward cutting.

#3. The velocity of the movement increases fat burn, which means the faster you perform a movement, the more fat it will burn. Velocity based movements include power lifts. One arm Db snatch, Db Cleans, Barbell Cleans, Power shoulder presses.

Me personally, I prefer the Lift hard, Cardio hard, Diet Right method when cutting. I don't like compromising my lifts. I'm always striving for maximal hypertrophy so I wouldn't personally do the total body workouts and I would only personally do the power movements for sports performance purposes, but if you're balls out about cutting, total body and/or power movements, and/or some form of cardio would be optimal for what you want. Good luck with it.