Dc Dc Dc...wtf Is Dc?

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
Ok i've heard a lot about DC training and read about it in FLEX and stuff but i still don't know exactly how to use DC training the correct way, or what results to expect.

As far as my knowledge goes you're supposed to use heavy a$$ weights, less overall sets, and....thas about it.

ANY HELP?

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dog Crap. Do a search for it I'm sure you find some routines for it. Check bb. it's on there.

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
the problem is Dante hasnt released any formal publications on his training methods, the only way to get the proper experience and training is by signing with him as your personal trainer, and he is extremely picky when it comes to selecting new trainees. Otherwise, a quick google search will bring in a bunch of information on the training methods that have been posted into different forums

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
check out intensemuscle.com. it's the official site for DC and dante posts there himself. you can find everything you need there.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
DC is a spin off of Dorian Yate's blood & guts style, which is a spin off of Mike Menzter's High Intensity Training. One Set Wonders. The only thing new DC brings to the board is extreme stretching.

DC has greater strength implications then hypertrophy, so if your goal is strength, go for it. If your primary goal is muscle hypertrophy, stick to the basics, 8-12 reps, 3-6 sets.

Yes you can hypertrophy with DC training, but it's primary adaption will be strength.

I'm also not knocking DC or HIT, I did HIT for awhile and they both have their uses, but as far as what is most efficient for hypertrophy, good old traditional bodybuilding is primed for growth adaption(s).

I would only suggest trying DC, HIT, 5x5 or whatever else is out there, if you're at a mental monotony for traditional lifting or even a physical plateau, but always get back to traditional lifting and make sure it's the bulk of your training (IF muscle size is your concern). Strength and power adaption(s) are different beasts with their own respective protocols for maximal efficiency.

Link24

Awards
  • Established
Dc for me, is far more superior than traditional body building.....When i switched i saw rapid strength and size gains....Im never going back to traditional BB

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
Personally the version of DC i have been doing gets me in and out of the gym in an hour or less. Plus I get a GREAT burn and it's simple and to the point.

But the DC most of us do isn't TRUE DC because dante never trained us. Don't make the mistake on a board to say you train DC, because you'll get reamed out for it hardcore.

Basically you pick (this is based on a m w f split) three of your fave exercises for a certain body part, and do them three times every nine days, or something like that

One day is Chest Shoulders Triceps Back Thickness and Back Width

The other day is Quads Hams Calves Bis and Forearms

Monday and Friday your first week is Chest days, Wednesday is legs, and vice versa.

Every bodypart gets 2-4 sets warmup. Then one rest paused set, which you take to failure, rest 20 secs, take to failure again, rest 20 secs, and take to failure.

Then after each bodypart you do a specific extreme stretch.

Dante recommends you don't restpause Back Thickness (Deadlift, BB Row) for whatever reasons. I do. I need a one track mind in the gym. You can find all of this online. But I changed it slightly to fit my personality more and I see great gains with it. But my shoulders usually end up overtrained after about six or eight weeks.

Will...who is the guy in your avatar picture?

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
also rotate those three exercises you picked. One mon is Flat bench press, Friday is Incline DB Press, and then next wednesday is Decline Press.

Don't use those specifically, just an example.

Link24

Awards
  • Established
He doesnt reccomend you do flat bench.............

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's a Dvd at Jasonwojo.com you can buy that shows you how to do Dc training. It saves you a lot of reading and getting a DC trainer

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
WhenAllFails, can you possibly go into more detail with what your routine is currently.

I am gonna be working a lot soon and want a routine that I can do 3 times a week, possibly a rippetoes-esque work-out but this seems very interesting as well. Theres a lot of good options out there that I can sorta add my own stuff to and I'm not gonna have access to a gym just a barbell, weight and a bench that I'm gonna try to pack in my car on the drive out. I want to try to keep the work-outs to about a 45min-hour time limit. Any suggestions would be great.

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
WhenAllFails, can you possibly go into more detail with what your routine is currently.

I am gonna be working a lot soon and want a routine that I can do 3 times a week, possibly a rippetoes-esque work-out but this seems very interesting as well. Theres a lot of good options out there that I can sorta add my own stuff to and I'm not gonna have access to a gym just a barbell, weight and a bench that I'm gonna try to pack in my car on the drive out. I want to try to keep the work-outs to about a 45min-hour time limit. Any suggestions would be great.
I'll outline the workout i've got ready for today.

My first exercise will be DB Shoulder presses. I do about four warmup sets because my shoulders are extremely fragile and need the help. Slowly moving up weight. 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s. Then I do one working set with weights that I can take to failure in 6-8 reps. That's the goal with each exercise to fail by 8 (for me). So i'll grab the 70's and do 6 reps. Rest for 20 seconds (or just breathe deep 12 times, it's about the same), pick the weights up and pump out about 2-3 more, rest again, and pump out 2 more. This style of workout focuses less on the pump and more on strength, partially due to the fact that the goal each week is to beat the logbook in reps or weight. i'm in the gym no longer than an hour, even with a 5 minute warmup on the stationary bike.

From there I go to Chest, Triceps, Back Thickness (Deads, BB Rows), and Back Width (Pulldowns, seated rows). Just one exercise for each part. Rest paused to failure like the Shoulder presses. The Back Thickness can be done as normal 4-6 reps but I enjoy getting the last few in.

BTW I do shoulders first because if I don't, they won't make it through an 8 week cycle. The lovely thing about this workout is you can just keep doing it. Just change the exercises every so often. I take a 1-2 week break every now and then to let my shoulders catch up, but it's phenomenal.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I incorporate some DC principles, such as the rest-pause and stretching, into my routine. I get great gains is strength, size, and flexibility while doing this as well.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
A lot of terrible info and advice here, but I can't speak my mind.

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
A lot of terrible info and advice here, but I can't speak my mind.
speak freely. I don't pretend to know anything, except for what I do. I've stated it a million times, I don't do DC. i take what i've read and make my own routines.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I can't because it's confidential.

I could give my opinion but that would hurt many egos.

Besides, I don't want to try to convince anyone to do it.

Moreover, DC is a program and not just a lifting routine. Discussing the lifting part of it in isolation is extremely near-sighted.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
again buy the dvd or go over to intensemuscle and spend a few days of strait reading and searching read the stickies in the doggpound!

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
I can't because it's confidential.

I could give my opinion but that would hurt many egos.

Besides, I don't want to try to convince anyone to do it.

Moreover, DC is a program and not just a lifting routine. Discussing the lifting part of it in isolation is extremely near-sighted.
well lucky for you you either know dante or have trained with him. Yes you're right there is a whole program, i'm just not lucky enough to have trained with the man myself.

The only nearsightedness I see is when I take off my glasses. I informed this person of what I knew when I saw a thread asking what DC is. I apologize for not being as vague as I could by saying it's a whole program but i only know the lifting part. Does that clarify the situation?

Don't worry about my ego either, I don't believe to know as much as you assume I do.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
No, it's all good. You didn't claim you are doing DC or that you are an expert.

Dante doesn't train people anymore but Doug does. If you are interested, you could contact him.

Bottom line is, progressive training and eating build muscle, but there are many ways to skin a cat. If DC sounds good, anyone could contact Doug, or start reading over at intense muscle as Smeton suggested to grasp the basics. Moreover, people there would steer you in the right direction. Even though it might not be DC, the diet help would be invaluable and diet is, in my humble opinion, much more important that the lifting part.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do training-wise.

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
From what I've been reading the diet says take in 500grams of protein a day. Is there any reason why they say this because it seems like a pretty ridiculous amount.
I'm still reading up but I know you do a large amount of warm-up sets. Wouldn't your for example shoulders be to exhausted from doing all those warm-ups by the time you actually get to the working set?

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
Alrighty so I found a pretty good thread on a different forum of an example DC training work-out.

The split would be as follows:
monday=chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness
wednesday=biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads
friday-repeat of mondays bodyparts
monday-repeat of wenesdays bodyparts

This above way bodyparts are hit twice every 8 days or so

For advanced bodybuilders (and with that I'm talking very elite bodybuilders and extremely strong people) I sometimes go with the following

monday=chest shoulders triceps
tuesday=biceps forearms backwidth backthickness
thursday=calves hams quads
friday-repeat of mondays bodyparts
monday-repeate of tuesdays bodyparts
tuesday-repeat of thursdays bodyparts

This way bodyparts are hit twice every 9 days or so and I can work on advanced bodybuilders lagging bodyparts somewhat better with this split.

Heres an example of exercises used, he picks a lot of these based on whether there is a spotter or not. In this case there is no spotter.

DC Training by bodypart

Chest:
incline smythe press (11-15rp)
hammer strength press (11-15rp)
decline barbell press (11-15rp)

Backwidth:
front rack chins (11-20rp)
close grip pulldowns (11-15rp)
front pulldowns (11-15rp)

Backthickness: (back thickness exercises and quad exercises arent rest paused due to safety reasons of fatigue and loss of form)
deadlifts straight sets (6-9reps) + (9-12reps)
T-bar rows straight set (10-12 reps)
rack deadlifts (6-9reps) + (9-12reps)

Shoulders:
military presses (11-20rp)
hammer strength presses (11-15rp)
upright rows (11-20rp)

Quads: (quads are done again with no rest pause because of safety reasons, but after progressive warmups there is a heavy set and then what I call a "widowmaker set" for 20 reps with a still heavy, but lighter weight)

free squats (6-10 rep straight set) 3-5 minute rest and then (20 rep widowmaker)
hack squats (as above)
leg press (as above)

Hamstrings:
lying leg curls (15-30rp)
seated leg curls (15-30rp)
sumo press leg press (pressing with heels only- straight set of 15-25 reps)

Biceps:
preacher curls (11-20rp)
barbell drag curls (11-20rp)
dumbell curls (11-20rp)

Forearms:
pinwheel curls (straight set 10-20 reps)
hammer curls (straight set 10-20 reps)
reverse grip one arm cable curls (straight set 10-20 reps)

Triceps:
reverse grip bench presses (11-20rp)
close grip bench presses (11-20rp)
EZ bar tricep extentions (15-30rp) (elbow safety)

Calves: (all calves are done with an enhanced negative, meaning up on big toe, 5 seconds lowering down to full stretch and then a brutal 10-15 seconds in the stretched position and then back up on the big toe again. It really separates the mice and the men--this is an all straight set)
leg press toe press (10-12 reps)
hack squat toe press/sled (10-12 reps)
seated calf raises (10-12 reps)

An exercise that seems pretty interesting is the Front Rack Chins, heres a video off youtube. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-b4qOOWsE"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Sorry if I'm not allowed to post this stuff on DC. It seems like a fun new way of spicing up your work-out routine, I just don't know how I can do a lot of this stuff without having machines and such where I'm going but I can probably find a way. I'm currently reading up on the whole "extreme stretching" right now.

Website with a good information that I found: Weight Lifting, Bodybuilding, Weight Training, DoggCrapp Method of Training

Last edited:
WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
Extreme Stretching is also very interesting to read about. Here is the study on where stretching induced hypertrophy and hyperplasia in bird muscles. Progressive stretch overload of skeletal muscle results in hypertrophy before hyperplasia

J. Antonio and W. J. Gonyea
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235-9039.

Intermittent stretch of the anterior latissimus dorsi (ALD) muscle produces fiber hypertrophy without fiber hyperplasia (J. Appl. Physiol. 74: 1893-1898, 1993). This study was undertaken to determine if a progressive increase in load and duration of stretch would induce extremely large muscle fiber areas or if the fibers would reach a critical size before the onset of fiber hyperplasia. Weights ranging from 10 to 35% of the bird's mass were attached to the right wing of 26 adult quail while the left wing served as the intra-animal control. The stretch protocol was as follows: day 1 (10% wt), days 2 and 3 (rest), day 4 (15% wt), days 5-7 (rest), day 8 (20% wt), days 9 and 10 (rest), days 11-14 (25% wt), days 15 and 16 (rest), and days 17-38 (35% wt). Birds were killed after 12, 16, 20, 24, and 28 days of stretch not including rest days. Muscle mass increased 174% (12 days), 196% (16 days), 225% (20 days), 264% (24 days), and 318% (28 days). Muscle length increased 60% (12 days), 34% (16 days), 59% (20 days), 50% (24 days), and 51% (28 days). Mean fiber area increased 111% (12 days), 142% (16 days), 75% (20 days), 90% (24 days), and 39% (28 days). Fiber number, which was measured histologically, increased significantly by 82% only in the 28 days of stretch group. The percentage of slow tonic fibers did not change for any of the time points examined.
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/75/3/1263

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
Extreme Stretching is also very interesting to read about. Here is the study on where stretching induced hypertrophy and hyperplasia in bird muscles. Progressive stretch overload of skeletal muscle results in hypertrophy before hyperplasia

J. Antonio and W. J. Gonyea
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235-9039.

Intermittent stretch of the anterior latissimus dorsi (ALD) muscle produces fiber hypertrophy without fiber hyperplasia (J. Appl. Physiol. 74: 1893-1898, 1993). This study was undertaken to determine if a progressive increase in load and duration of stretch would induce extremely large muscle fiber areas or if the fibers would reach a critical size before the onset of fiber hyperplasia. Weights ranging from 10 to 35% of the bird's mass were attached to the right wing of 26 adult quail while the left wing served as the intra-animal control. The stretch protocol was as follows: day 1 (10% wt), days 2 and 3 (rest), day 4 (15% wt), days 5-7 (rest), day 8 (20% wt), days 9 and 10 (rest), days 11-14 (25% wt), days 15 and 16 (rest), and days 17-38 (35% wt). Birds were killed after 12, 16, 20, 24, and 28 days of stretch not including rest days. Muscle mass increased 174% (12 days), 196% (16 days), 225% (20 days), 264% (24 days), and 318% (28 days). Muscle length increased 60% (12 days), 34% (16 days), 59% (20 days), 50% (24 days), and 51% (28 days). Mean fiber area increased 111% (12 days), 142% (16 days), 75% (20 days), 90% (24 days), and 39% (28 days). Fiber number, which was measured histologically, increased significantly by 82% only in the 28 days of stretch group. The percentage of slow tonic fibers did not change for any of the time points examined.
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/75/3/1263

I actually read that article last night, it's also attached to the wiki on DC. VERY interesting stuff...

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
I watched his training videos on youtube. Good stuff.

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
Found this when I was looking up on DC training, thought I would like to share.

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
Hah, yea I watched that video. That isn't even the proper stretching technique for your shoulders though.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hah, yea I watched that video. That isn't even the proper stretching technique for your shoulders though.
No, actually this is a technique, that Dante descibes to cure 90% of shoulder injuries.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks Ive been doign Dc since September and I didnt know about the Second back stretch

also I just got my Dc Dvd in the mail. Time to learn more. I havnt been doing it exactly right. Im learning more and more. Its important when you start out to do the basics and wait intill your advanced to do the advanced stuf Dante discuss's

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
I think I might order the DVD also, seriously I love RP sets now, I've been putting them into my workouts and they definitely work.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Why 500 grams of protein a day you ask?

Everybody likes to forget that drugs were originally a necessary component of DC training. DC suggested that you never come off and even said that your HPTA will recover on a cruise dose of steroids if you take Clomid. Bobo put him in his place on that one here at AM...somewhere in the archive.

Anyway DC laid out his program in a long thread called "Cycle for Pennies" which was on another board and ran from 2002 to 2005. He has done a good job of making it vanish from the net. You can find it at the following post:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/73635-everything-anything-dc-3.html#post1087323

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
Why 500 grams of protein a day you ask?

Everybody likes to forget that drugs were originally a necessary component of DC training. DC suggested that you never come off and even said that your HPTA will recover on a cruise dose of steroids if you take Clomid. Bobo put him in his place on that one here at AM...somewhere in the archive.

Anyway DC laid out his program in a long thread called "Cycle for Pennies" which was on another board and ran from 2002 to 2005. He has done a good job of making it vanish from the net. You can find it at the following post:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/73635-everything-anything-dc-3.html#post1087323

i've been searching for that damn post for almost two months now. I KNEW it existed...sometimes i'll dream things I think to be true.

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing it isn't necessary to have that much protein?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Haha I remember when DC first made those posts. He tried making a name Dogcrapp to cover up who it was although it didn't work :). He did so over at Animal Boards a looonnngggg time ago but the thread was amazing. It was well over 100 pages long and it was one hell of a read. It was called Cycles for Pennies and started out as a cruise cycle thread. There are people out there who saved the entire thread though and you might be able to read the training protocols if you feel like reading through it.

Oh memories ;).

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
...t was well over 100 pages long and it was one hell of a read. It was called Cycles for Pennies and started out as a cruise cycle thread. There are people out there who saved the entire thread though and you might be able to read the training protocols if you feel like reading through it.
Yeah I'm one of those peeps...in fact 3 posts up I posted the link to the post I made here at AM where I uploaded Cycles for Pennies as a zip file (rich text format).

For the lazy though here is the attachment again:

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing it isn't necessary to have that much protein?
No its not. There are disciples of DC who have become "religious" about anything DC... be careful because there is no magic pill...

The routine is good...I use aspects of it...you can gain a lot of strength using it exactly as DC laid it out for sure. I'm not running it down at all bro...I think if you use it properly it will take you to a whole new level in your thought process about building muscle & in your tolerance for intensity.

But the nutrition aspect is very weak advice...this board is an awesome place to acquire nutrition knowledge. Bobo (AMs owner) is one of the most knowledgeable guys you will ever come across...I think his archived posts are no longer in his old screen name (he has been changing it around...for the h@ll of it from Cornelius something to Kramer & Jerry) but they are still here...plus many people here are also deeply experienced in this area...Alan Aragon for example.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dante got up to 245 lbs naturally before he started using gear. That in itself is incredible.

That pic of him is when he's fat , and he said hes fat in it,at like 290. He doesnt really show his indentity much at all. I know where a few more pictures of him are, and his beautiful wife. you'll have to search intnesemuscle though. Now Im going to save everyone a lot of time buy the Dvd. I was doing it wrong since September since I got that Dvd. Youll thank me from saving you a boatload of reading and time.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
...Now Im going to save everyone a lot of time buy the Dvd. I was doing it wrong since September since I got that Dvd. Youll thank me from saving you a boatload of reading and time.
Good to know. From some of the clips I've seen it also looked like an awesome motivational DVD.

Doggcrapp

Board Sponsor
Awards
Dante got up to 245 lbs naturally before he started using gear. That in itself is incredible.

That pic of him is when he's fat , and he said hes fat in it,at like 290. He doesnt really show his indentity much at all. I know where a few more pictures of him are, and his beautiful wife. you'll have to search intnesemuscle though.
People love throwing up that fat guy pic though dont they? LOL That pic came from a thread I put up 4 or 5 years ago called "Big Daddy Smooth is back in town!" where i was making fun of myself for letting myself go that offseason with no cardio and an abundance of carbs (as I thought the government was going to make carbohydrates schedule 3 and I wanted to make sure I got my fill of them). Pics like the one below never show up on threads around the net, its always "big daddy smooth" and my wedding picture for some weird reason.

If I had any idea that posts I put up in the year 1999, and early 2000 would be cut and pasted and cut and pasted and pics I put up on the Intensemuscle forum to make fun of myself would be passed around all over the net.....

a) I would of been meticulous with everything I typed, pondering every word and thought. I typed so many things off the cuff--30second posts, there is alot of "oh man i wrote that 9 years ago?!" and "youch my opinions have changed greatly since then" in my thoughts when I read things now. I never thought things I typed would still be floating around 9 years later.

b) I would of only put Sears glamour shots of myself online and had them photoshop in good looks--ok that would been close to impossible wouldnt it. You cant put rouge on a chimpanzee.

Attachments

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
People love throwing up that fat guy pic though dont they? LOL That pic came from a thread I put up 4 or 5 years ago called "Big Daddy Smooth is back in town!" where i was making fun of myself for letting myself go that offseason with no cardio and an abundance of carbs (as I thought the government was going to make carbohydrates schedule 3 and I wanted to make sure I got my fill of them). Pics like the one below never show up on threads around the net, its always "big daddy smooth" and my wedding picture for some weird reason.

If I had any idea that posts I put up in the year 1999, and early 2000 would be cut and pasted and cut and pasted and pics I put up on the Intensemuscle forum to make fun of myself would be passed around all over the net.....

a) I would of been meticulous with everything I typed, pondering every word and thought. I typed so many things off the cuff--30second posts, there is alot of "oh man i wrote that 9 years ago?!" and "youch my opinions have changed greatly since then" in my thoughts when I read things now. I never thought things I typed would still be floating around 9 years later.

b) I would of only put Sears glamour shots of myself online and had them photoshop in good looks--ok that would been close to impossible wouldnt it. You cant put rouge on a chimpanzee.
Ha! There he is ;). Nice to see you around man. I haven't posted in the same thread as you since Cycles on Pennies lol.