New Article: The Body Contract System 2.0 / Eccentric Training

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.46%

New Article: The Body Contract System 2.0 / Eccentric Training

Some thoughts on eccentric training and Dan Duchaine's workout program, "the Body Contract System."

The Body Contract System 2.0 | Mind and Muscle

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pound4Pound View Post
    Some thoughts on eccentric training and Dan Duchaine's workout program, "the Body Contract System."

The Body Contract System 2.0 | Mind and Muscle
    "Eliminating the concentric or lifting portion altogether and simply perform negatives at a weight greater than your one rep max, usually 110-120%. Spotters are usually required for this method."

This topic has existed for a years in the world of exercise physiology and everytime they perform studies on Concentric + Eccentric vs Solely Eccentric, the Concentric + Eccentric always yields greater hypertrophic results.

The logic here is that the eccentric portion of the lift requires MUCH greater force (which is true, the concentric action requires the least amount of force between the concentric, isometric and eccentric actions) and even greater microtrauma (I believe), I'm not sure if science has fully explained it yet, but the concentric + eccentric lifting has greater implication on hypertrophy then does eccentric lifts alone.

Knowing this information and against the advice of doctorate experts. I tried it anyway. I did the eccentric only lifts program. My partner would pull the bench bar up and I would only resist the negative portion for 7-10 seconds and repeat, we did this with all bodyparts. My partner would lift the weight of whatever we were doing and I would only resist the negative portion for 7-10 seconds. DOMS was greater, and I did experience some hypertrophy, but my growth was more notable when I went back to traditional lifting (concentric + eccentric).

I don't think you could stand two guys next to each other with t-shirts on and be able to discern which guy lifted with which particular style. I think all styles are useful and beneficial to an extent, but if its a question of superiority vs inferiority, then concentric + eccentric wins one out over eccentric alone.

I did my own tests with normal concentric + eccentric lifting, then hold the weight isometrically until failure and then resist the eccentric portion until absolute muscle failure by all three forces. The problem with that was the intensity was too high which meant volume was too low, this also had greater strength implications then hypertrophy. It doesn't mean it was useless, but regular concentric + eccentric seems to perpetuate the most hypertrophic adaption(s).
    NSCA - CSCS

Similar Forum Threads

1. New to Anabolic minds, new to the body building world
    By peakedfitness in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 12:59 AM
  2. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 02:01 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 09:43 PM
  4. New to the board/not the game
    By basskiller in forum General Chat