Need help with my workout.

vincehaveph8

Awards
Ok so i'm coming off a bulk and i now want to lean up and cut. I've found this wrokout on the web and changed it up a bit. i would like your imput (telling me if its good if not what i should change)Note: I can only workout three days a week cause of school.

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Chest
? Incline Bench Presses: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Dumbbell Presses: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Incline Flyes: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Cable Crossovers: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Delts
? Machine Rear Laterals: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Side Laterals: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Machine Laterals: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Seated Presses: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Triceps
? Overhead Tricep Extensions: 3 Sets X 12-15 Reps
? Lying Tricep Extensions: 3 Sets X 12-15 Reps

Abs
? Ab weighed Crunches: 4 Sets X 20-25 Reps
superset into leg raises 4 Sets 12 Reps

Tuesday: Legs/Calves

Legs
? Squats: 4 Sets X 12-15 Reps
? Lying Leg Curls: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
? Sissy Squats: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
? Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Calves
? Standing Calf Machine: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
? Seated Calf Raises: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Biceps

Back
? Barbell Rows: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Dumbbell Rows: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Seated Cable Rows: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Chins: 3 Sets To Failure
? Deadlifts: 2 Sets X 10-12 Reps
? Shrugs: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Biceps
? Preacher Curls: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Seated Dumbbell Curls: 3 Sets X 12 Reps

Every workout includes 20 minutes of cardio. Thanks for your input!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Cut your exercises in half and work twice as hard on what's left.

Best advice youll get!

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cut your exercises in half and work twice as hard on what's left.

Best advice youll get!
i agree do like 3-8 reps on everything...it would be alot more intense and you could more easily cut the weight. be sure to use 80-90% of your max other wise your not using enough intensity!

vincehaveph8

Awards
thanks guys i'm not very experienced but i was under the impression that higher reps was for a cut and lower reps for a bulk so wouldn't that go against my goal which is to cut? Thanks in advance for the help

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Ok so i'm coming off a bulk and i now want to lean up and cut. I've found this wrokout on the web and changed it up a bit. i would like your imput (telling me if its good if not what i should change)Note: I can only workout three days a week cause of school.

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Chest
? Incline Bench Presses: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Dumbbell Presses: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Incline Flyes: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Cable Crossovers: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Delts
? Machine Rear Laterals: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Side Laterals: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Machine Laterals: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Seated Presses: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Triceps
? Overhead Tricep Extensions: 3 Sets X 12-15 Reps
? Lying Tricep Extensions: 3 Sets X 12-15 Reps

Abs

Tuesday: Legs/Calves

Legs
? Squats: 4 Sets X 12-15 Reps
? Lying Leg Curls: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
? Sissy Squats: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
? Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Calves
? Standing Calf Machine: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
? Seated Calf Raises: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Biceps

Back

Biceps
? Preacher Curls: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
? Seated Dumbbell Curls: 3 Sets X 12 Reps

Every workout includes 20 minutes of cardio. Thanks for your input!
The only thing I would change would be the back/biceps and shoulder/triceps days. Either do arms seperately, or reverse them back/tris, shoulder/bis. My bis aren't worth a sh*t after I do back.

Tobinho

Awards
thanks guys i'm not very experienced but i was under the impression that higher reps was for a cut and lower reps for a bulk so wouldn't that go against my goal which is to cut? Thanks in advance for the help
Higher reps are what you'd use if you wanted a 'toned' appearance. Personally I wouldn't recommend doing a high number of sets as a method of cutting - it's a waste of time imo. Do more cardio to get the fat off and to make sure you don't lose muscle size, continue with the low reps that you would use in bulking but you can probably reduce set numbers since it's not necessary to hit the muscles so hard.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your volume and intensity are primed for muscle gain. You're in a good hypertrophic zone with your sets and reps. However, if you're primary goal is cutting body fat, here are my suggestions.

#1. Cardio is the most efficient way to dropping body fat (apart from dieting, I'm just talking about the physiological aspects of dropping weight). The best kind of cardio isn't relegated to EITHER static cardio vs HIIT (although HIIT is superior for fat burn), but the most efficient way for overall weight loss would be a healthy variation of the two.

#2. This is not to say you cannot use resistance training as part of a cutting program. You are currently lifting in a strong hypertrophic zone, which means your current program is superior for muscle size, however, if you wanted to use resistance training is a primary fat cutting tool, you'd have to do more of a total body workout program. For instance, you hold two dumbbells at your sides, maybe 30lbs. You drop down and do a push up with your Db's in hand, then squat yourself back to a standing position and do a shoulder press, both of those movements would be considered a single rep, and you'd do 12-15 reps of these. Or, starting with two Db's in hand, drop down and do a push, then with your right hand, pull the Db back like your doing a one arm Db row, drop back down and do another push then switch arms and do a one arm Db row with your left arm, all three movements combined, the push up, right arm db row, push up, left arm db row is one rep and you would do 12-15 of these. You can get as creative as you like, but the more muscle groups you include, the more total body it is, the more it'll be geared toward cutting.

#3. The velocity of the movement increases fat burn, which means the faster you perform a movement, the more fat it will burn. Velocity based movements include power lifts. One arm Db snatch, Db Cleans, Barbell Cleans, Power shoulder presses.

Me personally, I prefer the Lift hard, Cardio hard, Diet Right method when cutting. I don't like compromising my lifts. I'm always striving for maximal hypertrophy so I wouldn't personally do the total body workouts and I would only personally do the power movements for sports performance purposes, but if you're balls out about cutting, total body and/or power movements, and/or some form of cardio would be optimal for what you want. Good luck with it.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Back

A little too much. What I like to do is alternate back wo’s in which I can concentrate primarily on deads. ISTM kind of a waste to load a bar to deadlift only 2 sets. You can play with the numbers if you want. I’ve actually found this beneficial for deads, I was stuck at 405x5 for the longest time until I started doing them every other week.

Week 1

Week 2
? Deadlifts: 5 Sets X 10-12 Reps, you won’t need shrugs after you do these.
? Pull downs: 3 Sets X 12 Reps

I agree with the advice to lower the overall reps in all of your routines. I think 12-15 is a little high, 8-12 works well for me most of the time, except the big 3 (bench, squat, dl) I like to pyramid. And be careful of too much shoulder work, you’ll be hitting them indirectly with chest and back, too.

vincehaveph8

Awards
thanks for the advice! ITs apreciated. with your advice i have made changes to my workout and i am very happy with the results up to now