Question about deadlifts for a bodybuilder

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I have just recently started doing deadlifts and I have been pondering this for a while now. I'm sure I might just be over analyzing this but I wanted to get some opinions. I'm mainly talking to the bodybuilders out there. Do you pull with an alternating grip or a hook grip (both hands over). The reason I ask is because I wonder if it works your back differently depending on how you grip the bar. So in other words I wonder if an overhand grip works your back differently than an underhand grip, leading to imbalances. Just something I've been thinking about. I can easily pull all my weights with an alternating grip but with a hook grip requires wraps, limiting the work on my forearms. I guess I could alternate which hand is over and which is under from week to week, but only one way feels natural, but I guess it's something I would get use to. Just want some ideas. Thanks guys, sorry about the long post.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
hey man, you could develop some imbalances if you didn't switch up which hand you had under.. If you switch it from week to week i'm sure you would be fine.. Ive always found that a hook grip lets me feel a more even distribution of weight across my back, but i typically can't pull as much.. it really comes down to personal preference..

JDF

Awards
  • Established
I personally like to use a 'hook' type of grip with straps. I have issues with my right wrist from when I fractured it so my ROM isnt very good to be able to use the alternating grip and have any strength to hold onto the bar.

I over used straps for a couple of years now and I am trying to use them only when I deadlift now because of how weak my forearms are.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies guys.

I personally like to use a 'hook' type of grip with straps. I have issues with my right wrist from when I fractured it so my ROM isnt very good to be able to use the alternating grip and have any strength to hold onto the bar.

I over used straps for a couple of years now and I am trying to use them only when I deadlift now because of how weak my forearms are.
See the only reason I worry about using a hook is the fact that I'll have to use straps for the heavier sets which will rob my forearms of some serious work. I think what I might do is try using an alternating grip here for the next few weeks but switching which hand is over and which hand is under each week. If it feels too unnatural I think I'll just go to a hook grip and use straps as needed.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
I'd go that route, when doing SLDL's I use an alternating grip and I feel much different through the movement ( as opposed to a hooked type of grip )

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I have just recently started doing deadlifts and I have been pondering this for a while now. I'm sure I might just be over analyzing this but I wanted to get some opinions. I'm mainly talking to the bodybuilders out there. Do you pull with an alternating grip or a hook grip (both hands over). The reason I ask is because I wonder if it works your back differently depending on how you grip the bar. So in other words I wonder if an overhand grip works your back differently than an underhand grip, leading to imbalances. Just something I've been thinking about. I can easily pull all my weights with an alternating grip but with a hook grip requires wraps, limiting the work on my forearms. I guess I could alternate which hand is over and which is under from week to week, but only one way feels natural, but I guess it's something I would get use to. Just want some ideas. Thanks guys, sorry about the long post.

I use a mixed grip, because it keeps the spine straight. I just make sure I rotate which hand is over and under to keep things even.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE DEADLIFTING. now that that is out of the way....

I've always used an overhand grip, no straps, when doing working sets. When I go for a max rep every month or so, I still use the overhand grip, but with straps. I tried using an alternate grip for a month or so a while back, switching every week, but it never really felt right, so I stopped. I've always had stupid grip strength for my bodyweight, though, so overhand works for me.

I've always thought that 90% of all bodybuilder's forearms looked funny cause they're too small compared to their upper arms, and the deadlifting helps there.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
...See the only reason I worry about using a hook is the fact that I'll have to use straps for the heavier sets which will rob my forearms of some serious work. ...
Deadlifts are for building your back NOT your forearms. Do what allows you to move the most weight without worrying about whether your grip will fail.

You will still use plenty of forearm even w/ the straps...they will remain under constant tension throughout the movement & the straps aid the grip they don't eliminate it.

Anyway truly massive forearms are built in a vareity of ways but primarily w/ direct work.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
I try to deadlift every other back wo. I like using the both overhand hook method because I’ve known men that have ruptured their bicep tendon this way. For me it’s not worth it. Strength is a major concern for me (not quite a BB or PL somewhere in between) but in this case the few added pounds is not worth it.

DB

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
:eek:
I try to deadlift every other back wo. I like using the both overhand hook method because I’ve known men that have ruptured their bicep tendon this way. For me it’s not worth it. Strength is a major concern for me (not quite a BB or PL somewhere in between) but in this case the few added pounds is not worth it.

DB
wait, you use the overhand becauseyou want to rupture a biceps?:blink:

kidding, just wondering which you mean.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Overhand is much safer as far as bicep injuries are concerned.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to only use overhand and the poundage suffered a lot. Changed to mixed grip, never use straps or anything, and shot up to around 325x4 from maybe 225x4 very quickly. I attribute this to more easily focusing on the glutes and hamstrings as opposed to the searing pain in my fingers and forearms. Deadlifts are for posterior chain development, not wrist or lats. I believe grip position only affects muscle development if it were a lat-based movement. When I try back to overhand grip every now and then, I notice nothing abnormal besides my fingers simply letting go after 1-2 reps with heavier weight. Therefore I must conclude that mixed grip or overhand grip has no effect on balanced/unbalanced muscle development if you're doing the movement the way it was meant to be done -- focused on the posterior chain.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I used to only use overhand and the poundage suffered a lot. Changed to mixed grip, never use straps or anything, and shot up to around 325x4 from maybe 225x4 very quickly. I attribute this to more easily focusing on the glutes and hamstrings as opposed to the searing pain in my fingers and forearms. Deadlifts are for posterior chain development, not wrist or lats. I believe grip position only affects muscle development if it were a lat-based movement. When I try back to overhand grip every now and then, I notice nothing abnormal besides my fingers simply letting go after 1-2 reps with heavier weight. Therefore I must conclude that mixed grip or overhand grip has no effect on balanced/unbalanced muscle development if you're doing the movement the way it was meant to be done -- focused on the posterior chain.
It sounds as if you didn't use straps though with your overhand grip. With straps you can easily handle just as much weight as you can with an alternating grip. I'm doing deads tomorrow and I will be using an overhand grip and straps. Thanks for all the replies guys.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
overhand + straps is def the way to go imo.

you know, in case you needed more convincing.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
:eek:

wait, you use the overhand becauseyou want to rupture a biceps?:blink:

kidding, just wondering which you mean.
My bad, posted without triple checking. :blink: Ruptured biceps have been associated with underhanded grips. Not that it's real common, I just don't feel the need to take that risk. I use overhanded to reduce the risk. One more thing, I find staps indespensible.

Thanks for the catch.

DB

Last edited: