Bicep Movement Poll

How Many Exercises Do You Do For Biceps???

Votes: 19 21.1%

Votes: 37 41.1%

Votes: 25 27.8%

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Other - If you choose this, please post below your preference.

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
Whats up fellas? Everybody in the gym wants the huge guns. It is always different with everybody as to how to get them. But the other day I saw a kid do LITERALLY 8 different movements for bi's . . .:jaw: It is obvious that this is freakin overkill. I was just curious as to how many movements the majority of AM does. I personally have 4 Standing Straight bar (mass) Standing Dumbbell curl (tighter peak contraction), a Hammer curl (bronchial muscle) and a Concentration curl for isolation. What do you guys have up your sleeves?? No pun intended :toofunny:

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I am currently doing full-body workouts and give the bi's one exercise - standing BB curl. I'm doing slight cheat curls right now to try and bust through a plateau.

I know what you are talking about ... those doods that do 1,000,000 reps of various curls. Like they get to the gym and say, "Today will be a bicep day." And that's all they do.

The guys w/ the biggest guns at my gym seem to only do one exercise... standing BB curls. That's not why I do them, but seems interesting. Usually the little to mid sized gun guys are the ones doing 50 different variations w/ 20lb. DBs.

Edit: BTW, I had a pseudo-PR yesterday. I cheated my ass off, but I BB curled 135 twice. I did it just for the hell of it cause I already had the weight on the bar. I was really surprised that I even did it once.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
i actually do have a day dedicated to bi's but that's just cause that's how much schedule works out haha. well it's bi's and abs but i only do like 3 different exercises. 4 once every blue moon. i only do four if i didn't hit 3 hard enough. sometimes i'll do only 2 different exercises if i hit it hard enough. so i guess 2-4.

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do 2-3 biceps moves for 3-4 sets. That way I can work them twice a week and still recover between workouts. Also the moves for workouts the will be different.
Example: Mon., Hammers, Supp Curls. Friday, Revers curls, flat bar curls, and concentration curls. I also break them down to a heavy day with less reps to a lite day with higher reps.This has given me the best results when trying to bring my arms up. And I always work tri's and bi's on the same day. 2 moves for bi's-3 for tri's or 3 moves for bi's-2 for tri's.
But I switch things up every month or so as I stop seeing results.:frustrate

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
Yea, and the guys I see doing bi's non-stop, are the ones that should be doing legs :icon_lol:

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Yea, and the guys I see doing bi's non-stop, are the ones that should be doing legs :icon_lol:
I hear that man :D

I do 2 movements each session -- either DB Hammers or DB Curls and EZ-Neutral Grip or Straight BB Curls.. So 1 DB and 1 BB movement per session, and alternate the movements each week..

Honestly I cant see doing much more than that doing me any good (maybe it works for some people) but it seems just 2 movements does the job

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So true :clap2: !!
On the other hand if your upper body gets big enough just walking upright will be a good leg workout. lol

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
I do 3 exercises compromised of 4 sets myself, but by the third exercise I'm usually about done. If you're concentrating on form and getting good contractions and a good pump, you should never have to go above 3 movements in my opinion.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
So true :clap2: !!
On the other hand if your upper body gets big enough just walking upright will be a good leg workout. lol
YES!!! You just inspired my new (and less painful) leg routine! :clap2:

Corona

Corona

Awards
I always feel that I get alot of Bicep work on Back Day. So I incorporate Preachers Ez Bar DBs To finish my Bis off No more than a couple of sets 10 reps end up with an awesome pump. Remember Bis are a very small Muscle They dont need a ton of reps and sets. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
it doesnt really take much to really hit the bi's hard like is often thought. i think three exercises is just right. remember bi's are a very small muscle group when compared to others.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always feel that I get alot of Bicep work on Back Day. So I incorporate Preachers Ez Bar DBs To finish my Bis off No more than a couple of sets 10 reps end up with an awesome pump. Remember Bis are a very small Muscle They dont need a ton of reps and sets. Thats my 2 cents anyway.
You ever try doing biceps BEFORE doing back? I feel that it forces me to concentrate more on using my back and helps keep me from cheating with the bis since they are already tired.

bryan4592

Awards
I love it when people do more biceps sets than they do quads or hams. I usually do 2 exercises, sometimes three but rarely. I depend on getting some bicep work in on back day. There have actually been some studies that measured the activity of the biceps during various back exercises. A chinup with an underhand grip and medium width grip was found to actually have more bicep activity than a regular curl. I'm not totally sure I believe that, but its interesting nonetheles.

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
You ever try doing biceps BEFORE doing back? I feel that it forces me to concentrate more on using my back and helps keep me from cheating with the bis since they are already tired.
I like where ur head's at....my back day always follows my arm day. Of course I can't lift quite as much on that back day, but I feel like I'm moving the weight with my back and getting a lot better contractions than I do when my arms are at full strength.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
While that may let you focus more on your back, the problem I'm always faced with when training bi's before back is that my bi's give out before my back and I end up cutting the set short!

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
While that may let you focus more on your back, the problem I'm always faced with when training bi's before back is that my bi's give out before my back and I end up cutting the set short!
I like to use wrist straps so that mt bi's really don't have to be in the movement too much at all. Since I've started lifting like that my back progressed very well.

Tobinho

Awards
I did 3 movements of 5 sets each after a back WO on Tuesday but my biceps had recevered nearly completely the next day so I decided to hit them a little harder today doing 4 movements of 5 sets each. I added cable curls to bb curls, hammers and machine preacher curls.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
In respect to working out bi's before back. I also feel like my bi's and/or forearms die before i start to feel anything in my back. bi's are a secondary muscle so IMO it's not like you can tire out the bi's and only use back. because it's a secondary muscle you still have to use it despite how tired your bi's are therefore giving you a weak back workout. but that's obviously just my opinion. if it works for you go for it.

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
In respect to working out bi's before back. I also feel like my bi's and/or forearms die before i start to feel anything in my back. bi's are a secondary muscle so IMO it's not like you can tire out the bi's and only use back. because it's a secondary muscle you still have to use it despite how tired your bi's are therefore giving you a weak back workout. but that's obviously just my opinion. if it works for you go for it.
I agree. What works for one person most certainly might not work for another. And what works now might not work a year from now. Its all about listening to your body and giving it the exercises that are going to produce the best results.

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
I switched my workout from 4 exercises to 3, and I feel that by doing this I can slow everything down, and go a little heavier for that tighter contraction. I am going to keep it at this for a while and see if there are any improvements.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
Like a few of the guys here I work my bis with my back routine. I'll do either ez curls or bb curls - 2 sets 12 reps each.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
DAMN! Either your intensity is way too low and your not going to failure or you posess stellar recuperative abilities. I don't require anymore than 8 or nine sets total, once a week for bi's. They're a muscular 19" so I know I'm doing something right.

Are you natural or juiced?

I did 3 movements of 5 sets each after a back WO on Tuesday but my biceps had recevered nearly completely the next day so I decided to hit them a little harder today doing 4 movements of 5 sets each. I added cable curls to bb curls, hammers and machine preacher curls.

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
I do 2 Rest/Pause sets when doing bi's. Hammer Curls DB/cable and Wide-Grip BB curls/Preacher curls. I do it twice a week so I switch between them. I've been trying to focus more on low volume and I'm tellin yeah it really feels good actually better then before when I was doing 9-12 sets on my bi's. I just do a really good warm-up and stretch and go into my working set.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I generally do 3 excercises for biceps

standing barbell or preacher curl for 5 sets

concentration curls or dumbell preacher curls for 3 sets

hammer curls for 3 sets

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Call me crazy, but I do bis after chest, and tris after back. I'm having awesome results and making great gains, so I'm sticking with it.

Currently doing 3 exercises, 4 sets each. Standing DB curls, incline curls, and on alternating workouts switch between preacher or isolation curls.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Currently doing 3 exercises, 4 sets each. Standing DB curls, incline curls, and on alternating workouts switch between preacher or isolation curls.
Almost exactly what I am currently doing for bis... except I do incline curls last.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Call me crazy, but I do bis after chest, and tris after back. I'm having awesome results and making great gains, so I'm sticking with it.

Exactly what I do...I love working bi's after chest, and then tri's after back...I'm usually switching it up a good bit though.

dville04

dville04

Awards
I do anywhere from 2-4 so I voted 3. Currently in the 2 or 3 mode depending on how I am feeling or how quickly I am getting fatigued. Usually I start heavy with standing BB curls, then move to preacher or isolation DB curls. Sometimes I'm done there. If not I'll hit a couple sets of hammer curls or cable curls with the rope. Unfortunetly a couple weeks ago when I was doing isolation curls on the heavy side of things I felt a hot, burning pain on the inside of my elbow joint. My first reaction was tendon strain or worst case scenario, a tear so I imediately stopped bi's for the day then starting the next week started of very light then have been slowly upping the wieght back to what it was before but on a "how it feels" basis. Anyone else ever had an issue similar?:think:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do anywhere from 2-4 so I voted 3. Currently in the 2 or 3 mode depending on how I am feeling or how quickly I am getting fatigued. Usually I start heavy with standing BB curls, then move to preacher or isolation DB curls. Sometimes I'm done there. If not I'll hit a couple sets of hammer curls or cable curls with the rope. Unfortunetly a couple weeks ago when I was doing isolation curls on the heavy side of things I felt a hot, burning pain on the inside of my elbow joint. My first reaction was tendon strain or worst case scenario, a tear so I imediately stopped bi's for the day then starting the next week started of very light then have been slowly upping the wieght back to what it was before but on a "how it feels" basis. Anyone else ever had an issue similar?:think:
maybe some tendonitis.

dville04

dville04

Awards
yeah i'm beginning to think that is probably it. i just don't want to end up having to go to the doctor about it. i hate hospitals. i know it's ignorant but they just never have good news.

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
4 exercises 3 sets ea, very heavy weight!

Pound4Pound

Pound4Pound

Awards
If I have an "arms day" I usually do 3 but I'm currently on a horizontal push/pull / vertical push/pull routine and I just do one movement at the end for a couple sets.

koopa

koopa

Awards
depending on whether its workout A, B or C ill do either wide grip overhand pullups or bent over rows.

I throw in a few sets of isolation barbell curls once a week.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
I've been trying a superset of Bi's/Tri's something like:

Tri Push Down/Standing EZ-bar Curl
Skull Crushers/Preacher Curl
Dip Machine/Alt DB Curl
(1)21 Gun Salute at the end.

Seems to be working well. I voted 4, usually do 3-4

offr85

Awards
in my opinion every body part gets the same amount of attention no matter what ppl think. if its bicept day then be it. only my opinion though.

i workout top of bicept bottom of bicept, straightbar, then preacher. then move on to my second bodypart of the day

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
i agree with homeboy above. and the tri's are a way bigger muscle than the tiny little bicep. (or in my case HUGE bicep but the tri still takes up most of the arm. it's a little pretty face) but for all you other tiny people with tiny biceps which is everybody compared to me i can see your dilemma. haha