Help out a 17 teen year old?

dstryr

Awards
Alright I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Dennis and I usually work out about 5 times a week. I take my workouts really seriously and try to get in and out with a good workout.

My schedule is

Monday : Chest
Flat bench
Decline
Incline
Flies

Tuesday: Legs
Squat
Leg Press
Quad extensions
Lunges
Leg Pull downs
Hamstring Curls

Wed: Back
Lat pull down
Lawnmowers
Cable pull (Close grip)
Machine pull downs
Back extensions

Thursday: Shoulders
Shoulder press
Military Press
a machine for shoulders where you push at an angle behind you
Plate raises
Pour Pitches

Friday is usually arms.

I've been eating healthy and taking this thing called Nitrix? Says AM - PM Vaso-musclar volumizer.

Can you guys make some recommendations for me? I want to put on about 5lbs of muscle and tone up a lot. Appreciate it a lot. Thanks, Dennis

Attachments

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i loved Nitrix.. add creatine and real gains and animalpak.. feel free to ask

dstryr

Awards
hmm well im trying to lose that weight aroud the middle while getting bigger everywhere else.. going to vitamin world to get some creatine tomorrow... can you recommend a good daily vitamin?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Don't mess around. If I were to give myself advice to me at your age I would say "run the 5x5 routine by madcow" and then follow this guide:

~ Fundamental Guidelines ~
  • Workout hard - There are many different workout regimes, many that work well. Generally: Strength training is in the 6 rep range / Bodybuilding in the 8-10 rep range. - Rep range warmup: 15 ( sets 1 & 2 ) Working: 10, 8, 6 last three sets add drop sets to failure )

• Fast Efficient Workouts = 1hr - This is not hard and fast but studies have shown that Cortisol rises after 1hr

• Protein shake immediately after workout and then protein meal with carbs etc within 1hr

• Creatine - Mono or CEE you decide. Both before and after workout.

• Daily meals - 5 - 6 day ( including shakes ) protein = 1g per pound of body weight. Meal 1 ( breakies ) is shake plus oatmeal or whatever else you want ( apple is good fibre / system crap mover ), Meal 6 is post workout shake with creatine etc and then solid food meal. Carbs tapered down from morning to evening and fats tapered up from morning to evening. Protein is a constant.

• Sleep 8 - 10 hrs a night ( very imp for all natural BB'ers )

• Supps - Do you note the order in which these are and where supps come??? - a) Multivitamin / B complex b) Whey protein c) creatine e) Test boosters / stacks etc
~ Exercises ~
  • Squats - Biggest muscle and boosts test like crazy, work em hard and see results big time.

• Deadlifts / Chins / Bent over Rows / Pulldowns - 1st attempt either an palm up or palm down chin at the beginning of your back workout, if you can do one, try two, if you can do 15, add weight. Most important for back is to make the mind / muscle connection. Concentrate ( start with low weight and excellent form ) on getting a good contraction and not swinging with the weight. Calm controlled up down with good squeeze of lats at bottom of rep. All about the connection / squeeze

• Leg press

• Flat Bench Dumbell / Barbell - Always swap it up, it takes more muscle etc to do dumbells ( stabilizing muscles etc ) but switch it up - Start with dips to hit lower chest then move to flat bench / incline.

• Core work - Abs / lower back - work the weaker harder.
This should give you a good idea....Best thing for test.....squats ....good form, warm up well, be careful and grow!

dstryr

Awards
Yeah...i don't mess around. I've been working out seriously for about a year and a half now and im finally at a point where i like my improvement...im just wanting more. I pretty much do everything above except i need more sleep , i need to start having more protein shakes. I think creatine is going to be my benefit too. For getting a leaner stomache...basically just do more cardio?

My bench is weak...around 185 for 6
Squat is around 315 for 4
Deadlift: 225 for a good 10.

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
the above advice by neoborn is the best you can get right now my friend. you're at an age that you can make the best gains of your life if you stick to a strict diet and lifting protocol.

The Flash

The Flash

Awards
  • Established
Well if your wanting abs it would be good to throw in a ab workout lol, didn't see any with your workout days, and if you do i'd say eat a lot healthier foods...

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
working the abs is a great idea.....lol.....but if your diet and cardio isn't up to par it isn't going to matter.....you can build the sh*t outta ur abs, but they'll never show if you can't get ur bf low enough

dstryr

Awards
Haha well i usually do abs about every day after my normal workouts.... If I flex I can see them to start showing through. My diet is probally one of the bests at my school. No junk food. I need to up my protein intake so Im doing that starting monday. I guess monday I need to start back with cardio. Since football ended for me, I havent ran in forever.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I must apologize I was not implying you were messing around but that save yourself alot of thought and searching when I have given you all that you need for five years ....honestly.

Here is some more if you like:

1. Always do your best +1 rep

2. Concentrate on the negative part, lowering slowly, with control.

3. Always add weight to the bar each week and beat your previous workout, if you can't add weight add reps.

4. Keep a journal - that way you can see not just " yah I pretty much kinda know I'm progressing"

5. Do hardcore 5x5 routine or low volume heavy weight routine consisting of compounds and then also take certain weeks / days in between to do high rep 15 - 20 reps with decent weight. This kills.

6. Are you measuring?

7. Do you know your BF%

8. Do you know your calories?

9. Are you eating enough to grow?

10. Are you working your muscles hard enough to stimulate them?

11. Can you understand that in the first post there is literally thousands of magazine articles and information from long term bb'rs in my post above? This is years worth of consolidated information

If you are not growing you need analyze what you missing.....it's really very simple ( sorry to dissapoint ). It's like fire, for fire to happen / be you need three things

Oxygen, Fuel , Heat. if you have those three things you can make fire happen. With BB'ing it's

Food, Stimulation, Rest

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
My bench is weak...around 185 for 6
Squat is around 315 for 4
Deadlift: 225 for a good 10.
Your squat and deadlift numbers are out of whack, it would seem. How's your form? Regardless, add power cleans to the routine and buy the book [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201912417&sr=8-1]Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training[/ame]. Buy it, read it, do it, thank me in 1 year.

dstryr

Awards
Your squat and deadlift numbers are out of whack, it would seem. How's your form? Regardless, add power cleans to the routine and buy the book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training. Buy it, read it, do it, thank me in 1 year.
what do you mean out of whack? I was chubby as a kid so my chest has always been the weakest link for me...and my form is good. It is the one thing I know I'm doing right. squats down to a 90 degree. now im sure there is a little something I could fix but I believe I use above average form .

blitzkriegjim

Awards
lol im in the same boat, squats are blowing up maxing around 350 right now and bench, ehhhh im maxing around 190.....i just want my bench numbers to go up so badly but they wont budge :( was a chubby kid too ;)

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
what do you mean out of whack? I was chubby as a kid so my chest has always been the weakest link for me...and my form is good. It is the one thing I know I'm doing right. squats down to a 90 degree. now im sure there is a little something I could fix but I believe I use above average form .
Usually if your strength is in balance and you're not a professional powerlifter that uses squat suits then you should deadlift more than you squat. As far as form, down to 90 degree is not correct. "Parallel" is a notion developed to help judge powerlifting competitions. Buy the book and I guarantee that you will become a much, much better athlete.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I don't neccessarily agree with this but whatever :)

My stats currently

Squat - 245lbs for 5 reps

Dead - 185lbs for 5 reps - Weak lower back / grip strength. Yes I guess I could use straps but no thanks.

Bench - 145lbs for 5 reps.

Now these numbers may not impress those with ego issues but really the weight is only a means to an end. It's about personal best, looking good and being strong for me. If I could get all I wanted out of this for lifting 10lbs believe me, I would.

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
don't use the word "tone" it sounds to gay when i gay says "im trying to tone my muscles."