Poll: Cardio after leg workout?

Question for everyone, Cardio after legs or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Question for everyone, Cardio after legs or not?

What does everyone think? I have heard both sides and have done both. I feel that if I do cardio after legs I get less sore, but is that good or bad? Also give reasons!

2. I do about 15 minutes on a bike or elipticle after my leg workout. Try to keep my heart rate b/w 160 and 170. If nothing else it's kinda like stretching a little bit. Of course, I try to remember to stretch after I get done with the cardio as well.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

3. I cant do cardio after legs. I feel like im going to puke when legs are hit good. I stretch and leave.
    •   

4. If you can do cardio after legs then you need to change your routine,
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  5. Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21 View Post
    If you can do cardio after legs then you need to change your routine,
    Bump-ity-bump-bump
    We live in a time where our planet suffers from two epidemics simultaneously - starvation and obesity.

Look at all these little kids taking care of the music biz, don't their business take good care of me.

I have the fire, I have the force, I have the power to make my evil take it's course.
  6. Never enough

just a 10 minute bit of cardio does leave me less sore
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

7. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat5972 View Post
    I cant do cardio after legs. I feel like im going to puke when legs are hit good. I stretch and leave.
    i'm glad i'm not the only one.I've brought this up to other people and they never agree or anything,they just seem kind of lost.And when i watch people work their legs they seem to get through it so easy,no heavy breathing,no sitting for a minute,no kind of just standig their after sq's because of light headed blacking out phase,no funny walking......i guess most these people just aren't doing it right and their debating on doing cardio afterwards or not(sorry guys i couldn't help it)

8. i'm with easy on this. 10 min or so of hills on the bike adds just the right amount to my legs. granted i want to toss cookies after legs but i'm wierd like that. the more sore i am after the more i wanna keep going, no matter what muscle group i work.

9. by the way easy, the new avy is hypnotic... that's for the advice in the past tho bro, love your research!

10. there is no link between muscle soreness and muscle growth, so just because you arent sore doesnt mean your not working your muscles. I typically do not do cardio after my leg days because i dont feel as though I can put in 100% focus into my cardio. But I do stretch, a lot.

11. Yes sir,soreness only means you stimulated a muscle,in a way it hasn't been in a while.

12. most the time i cant walk to well after a leg workout and other times i feel fine. 10 mins on the bike is nice a warm down.

13. I can't even imagine doing cardio after legs. I frequently have trouble getting up stairs afterwards.

14. I do not do cardio after legs, I am shot by the end of my workout. I get a good stretch in and call it a day.

15. I do looooow intensity cardio; as in, 110 bpm or less, as I find that if I do this for 10-15 and follow with stretching then I reduce the muscle soreness in the following days.

16. Quote Originally Posted by jonny21 View Post
    If you can do cardio after legs then you need to change your routine,
    ^^The Truth!

17. Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    ^^The Truth!
    Agreed...i can hardly walk at all after leg day.

one time after a leg workout I tried to walk up the stairs to the indoor track at my school and struggled sooo bad and then when i tried to jog...lets just say i stopped pretty soon
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

18. I never do cardio after any lifting work out, especially legs. When I finish my leg work out it takes me about an hour to get rid of the "sea leg" feeling, they are completely shot. I do however do cardio 6 times a week, I do it about 8 hours after my work out and do a 20 HIT cardio.
    This is from the MaxOT program:
    "To minimize cardio's negative effects on muscle growth you must schedule your aerobic sessions as distant in time from your weight training as possible. This means DO NOT do both cardio and weight training in the same workout. Don't do cardio immediately before you weight train and don't do cardio immediately after you weight train. This is how most people do it and it's completely wrong and detrimental to optimal muscle growth."

19. Quote Originally Posted by dawaro View Post
    I never do cardio after any lifting work out, especially legs. When I finish my leg work out it takes me about an hour to get rid of the "sea leg" feeling, they are completely shot. I do however do cardio 6 times a week, I do it about 8 hours after my work out and do a 20 HIT cardio.
    This is from the MaxOT program:
    "To minimize cardio's negative effects on muscle growth you must schedule your aerobic sessions as distant in time from your weight training as possible. This means DO NOT do both cardio and weight training in the same workout. Don't do cardio immediately before you weight train and don't do cardio immediately after you weight train. This is how most people do it and it's completely wrong and detrimental to optimal muscle growth."
    yup, yup

20. I think it's a great idea to do some light biking to cool down the legs. Watch a seasoned athlete train - no madder how hard the workout, they know to cooldown properly. Facilitates a faster recovery.

Spin it the other way - If you CAN'T do cardio after legs, grow some BALLS and suck it up! If you can walk to your car, you have something left in you. It's not that you CAN'T, it's that you WON'T. I'm talking very light biking... done right, and it feels great.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    I think it's a great idea to do some light biking to cool down the legs. Watch a seasoned athlete train - no madder how hard the workout, they know to cooldown properly. Facilitates a faster recovery.

Spin it the other way - If you CAN'T do cardio after legs, grow some BALLS and suck it up! If you can walk to your car, you have something left in you. It's not that you CAN'T, it's that you WON'T. I'm talking very light biking... done right, and it feels great.

I agree totally. Maybe I should have specified that I meant like cardio, more of a cool down persay. Everyone has to be so high and mighty though. I work my legs very hard and even though it hurts i think it helps from getting sore. I also feel that sometimes the more I work the harder I can keep going, kinda like a runners high.

22. I play football and must practice after lifting 4 days a week. So i basically do not have a choice. But in the off season i continue to do some cardio after i lift.

Considering that your glycogen stores are seriously depleted after an intense lower body/leg workout, doing low to moderate level cardio for a short period of time will not only enhance the utilization of fat as the primary energy source, but also serve as an excellent cool down period for those pumped leg muscles...

23. If I didnt absolutely kill my legs, I will do cardio after, Ive noticed it eases the pain. The same seems to be true with other body parts as well, although I only recommend trying it if your an expereinced lifter.

24. Quote Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
    there is no link between muscle soreness and muscle growth, so just because you arent sore doesnt mean your not working your muscles.
    I concur
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

25. i just don't do cardio at all in the first place

26. Quote Originally Posted by GreenTempo View Post
    i just don't do cardio at all in the first place

27. Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    I think it's a great idea to do some light biking to cool down the legs. Watch a seasoned athlete train - no madder how hard the workout, they know to cooldown properly. Facilitates a faster recovery.

I consider what your talking about to be cooling down though...cardio in my sense of things is about 45mins of intensity on treadmills, bikes and elliptic ... so in that sense, HELL NO!!! I will not do cardio after legs, what is the point? I have tried in the past, but it made no difference in my recovery, at all, jack, nada.

I do that type of cardio first thing in the morning ...
    Only thing im doing after legs is yellow gold and eat a ton.

28. No way. I think your leg workout is one the best for stimulating overal mass and the for me the window of replemishing as many nutrients as I can pwo is critical.

As soon as I am done I take my pwo shake and getting the starving muscles what they need immediately.

29. First of all, I'm a huge fan of cardio - I run at least 12 miles a week; but, if you can do cardio after a leg workout, you better go right back down and do another leg workout cuz you aint done it right.

Not tryin to be a jerk, but dat's just da truth.

30. if you can muster ten minutes on the ol' tread that's fine. i can, but i run like a drunk duck for the first 3-5 minutes, though. i think it helps after the stretching to keep the ol' bloodflow going after i drink my postworkout drink.

31. a cool down is good but a 30min run is out of question most of the time.

32. If your hittin your legs the right way there is no way in hell you should be able to do cardio!

33. Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    if you can muster ten minutes on the ol' tread that's fine. i can, but i run like a drunk duck for the first 3-5 minutes, though. i think it helps after the stretching to keep the ol' bloodflow going after i drink my postworkout drink.

haha oh mama mia great analogy.

I dont do any cardio after legs cause i have this huge word that says vagina on my forehead. But i think light cardio could be great after. How exactly does that have an effect on lactic acid build up? i'm not quite sure but i think that's what is goin on.

34. Quote Originally Posted by sreed11 View Post
    haha oh mama mia great analogy.

I dont do any cardio after legs cause i have this huge word that says vagina on my forehead. But i think light cardio could be great after. How exactly does that have an effect on lactic acid build up? i'm not quite sure but i think that's what is goin on.
    The increased blood flow due to cardio helps take the LA away.

35. I usually do cardio in the mornings first thing
    Because after a leg workout my legs are screaming to be able to relax for a bit

36. If you can do cardio after a leg workout, then you are doing it wrong.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

37. Eh, low impact cardio after a leg workout is entirely possible.

I voted no, but I've recently changed my mind.

38. Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    ^^The Truth!
    bullcrap. How about doing a fullbody routine that allows you to hit legs 3x a week...therefore you arent murdering your quads, hams on just one day, therefore you can do a little cardio if u hit your legs 3x a week. Just a different spin, but the same amount of volume honestly

39. Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    if you can muster ten minutes on the ol' tread that's fine. i can, but i run like a drunk duck for the first 3-5 minutes, though. i think it helps after the stretching to keep the ol' bloodflow going after i drink my postworkout drink.
    haha - my cardio after legs is pretty much a warmdown exercise. It does help reduce DOMS.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cardio after leg day
    By Strygwyr in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 10:00 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 08:23 PM
  3. Cardio after leg days - Yes or No?
    By JonesersRX7 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 03:04 PM
  4. Question for EVERYONE .....