max bench?

beaverboy

beaverboy

Awards
hey guys sorry for the stupid question..

but im 18, and a senior in h.s and me and my buddie entered a local comptition for bench press, its in about 2 months
.. and iv trained hard but cant seem to get my bench up :( this morning at the gym i did a max rep test and put up 225 13 times, and i'v tried alot of tecniques but cant seem to get it up any more than this..mabe one of you guys can possibly give me some pointers??

i weigh 203
supps,
optimum nutrition whey
gaspari,size on
gaspari, plasma jet
beta-alanine tablets
amino acid tablets

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
What else are you doing for your chest workout? Maybe incorperate DB presses, both flat and incline. Same question for triceps. Also, do you do squats?

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Are you doing a max rep challenge, or a actually max of the benchpress?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What else are you doing for your chest workout? Maybe incorperate DB presses, both flat and incline. Same question for triceps. Also, do you do squats?
I would def. question the tri routine. Maybe think about adding in close grip, always good to go through the same motion and build the tris as well

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
I saw the most increase of my chest strength when I was doing two incline exercises. Incline bar, incline dumbbell, and flat dumbbell. Also go back to the basics for tris, dips, closegrip bench, and skulls.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I saw the most increase of my chest strength when I was doing two incline exercises. Incline bar, incline dumbbell, and flat dumbbell. Also go back to the basics for tris, dips, closegrip bench, and skulls.
dips are great, I try and tilt forward so it's working more of my pecs as well. Feels amazing.
Bob's tricep giganticset:

Seated tricep press x10 (50lb up to 80/90lb)
Skull crushers/three headed dragon/whatever YOU call it x10 (50lb)
Close grip press x10 (50lb)
Dips x10

Do that 3 to 4 times in a row with a 60-90 second break after you finish the dips.
If you're not feeling it, add more weight.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
my bench took a significant jump a couple of summers ago when i started incorporating more pushups, but I would think that the close grip idea sounds good since they would probably be the first muscle to exhaust if your doing a max rep challenge.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd say do a Mon/Thur Chest/Tri day. Make Sunday/Wed rest days.

Train heavy on monday(heavy/low reps) and speed on thursday (lighter/high reps)

Make sure you hitting atleast 4-5sets of flat BB bench and 3-4 sets close grip bench on both training days.

Incline bench and dips will also help out a lot and even some reverse grip bench.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't see Creatine Mono in your supp list. Maybe its there and I just missed it.

How much Beta-Alanine are you getting in your caps? I believe near 10 grams is prime. Bulk Beta-Alanine would be nice.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I didn't see Creatine Mono in your supp list. Maybe its there and I just missed it.

How much Beta-Alanine are you getting in your caps? I believe near 10 grams is prime. Bulk Beta-Alanine would be nice.
He's getting the creatine from SizeOn.

IntensePump

IntensePump

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have you looked into alternative bench pressing techniques?

I'm not a powerlifter but I read some stuff about this awhile back...

One thing that was mentioned was to use your Lats to lower the weight. This, obviously, help take a bit of the brunt from your pectorials.

Perhaps somebody with experience could expand on this...:run:

KM1

KM1

Awards
The key to having a strong bench is not only a strong chest. Strong triceps, shoulders and back are several key factors. So perhaps working those muscle heavy as well, your bench will go up.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The key to having a strong bench is not only a strong chest. Strong triceps, shoulders and back are several key factors. So perhaps working those muscle heavy as well, your bench will go up.
True dat!

I should have also added to throw im some heavy back/shoulder days working on presses and rear delts with your shoulders. Heavy Rows and Lat Pull Dows with your back.

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
do weighted dips, close grip, and skull crushers for triceps, bent over rows and seated mid rows for back.

make sure you have a good form that you follow, i usually space my hands about 29" apart, grip the bar as tight as you can and try to pull outwards. clench your shoulder blades together throughout the entire lift, this will prevent you from adding to much shoulder into the bench and tiring early on, it will also push your chest decreasing the distance the bar has to travel. put your feet as far back as possible, but keep them flat on the floor, this will give you power in the bottom of the bench and give a good arch in your back. and lastly bring the bar down to your lower chest and upper abs.

good luck!