max bench? - AnabolicMinds.com

max bench?

1. New Member

max bench?

hey guys sorry for the stupid question..

but im 18, and a senior in h.s and me and my buddie entered a local comptition for bench press, its in about 2 months
    .. and iv trained hard but cant seem to get my bench up this morning at the gym i did a max rep test and put up 225 13 times, and i'v tried alot of tecniques but cant seem to get it up any more than this..mabe one of you guys can possibly give me some pointers??

i weigh 203
    supps,
    optimum nutrition whey
    gaspari,size on
    gaspari, plasma jet
    beta-alanine tablets
    amino acid tablets

2. New Member

anyone ?????????
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

What else are you doing for your chest workout? Maybe incorperate DB presses, both flat and incline. Same question for triceps. Also, do you do squats?
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
    •   

4. New Member

Are you doing a max rep challenge, or a actually max of the benchpress?
  5. New Member

no its how many times you can do 225
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    What else are you doing for your chest workout? Maybe incorperate DB presses, both flat and incline. Same question for triceps. Also, do you do squats?
    I would def. question the tri routine. Maybe think about adding in close grip, always good to go through the same motion and build the tris as well
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  7. New Member

I saw the most increase of my chest strength when I was doing two incline exercises. Incline bar, incline dumbbell, and flat dumbbell. Also go back to the basics for tris, dips, closegrip bench, and skulls.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jbono731 View Post
    I saw the most increase of my chest strength when I was doing two incline exercises. Incline bar, incline dumbbell, and flat dumbbell. Also go back to the basics for tris, dips, closegrip bench, and skulls.
    dips are great, I try and tilt forward so it's working more of my pecs as well. Feels amazing.
    Bob's tricep giganticset:

Seated tricep press x10 (50lb up to 80/90lb)
    Skull crushers/three headed dragon/whatever YOU call it x10 (50lb)
    Close grip press x10 (50lb)
    Dips x10

Do that 3 to 4 times in a row with a 60-90 second break after you finish the dips.
    If you're not feeling it, add more weight.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  9. JDF
    Advanced Member

my bench took a significant jump a couple of summers ago when i started incorporating more pushups, but I would think that the close grip idea sounds good since they would probably be the first muscle to exhaust if your doing a max rep challenge.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'd say do a Mon/Thur Chest/Tri day. Make Sunday/Wed rest days.

Train heavy on monday(heavy/low reps) and speed on thursday (lighter/high reps)

Make sure you hitting atleast 4-5sets of flat BB bench and 3-4 sets close grip bench on both training days.

Incline bench and dips will also help out a lot and even some reverse grip bench.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I didn't see Creatine Mono in your supp list. Maybe its there and I just missed it.

How much Beta-Alanine are you getting in your caps? I believe near 10 grams is prime. Bulk Beta-Alanine would be nice.
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I didn't see Creatine Mono in your supp list. Maybe its there and I just missed it.

How much Beta-Alanine are you getting in your caps? I believe near 10 grams is prime. Bulk Beta-Alanine would be nice.
    He's getting the creatine from SizeOn.
    WHITE WHALE!
  13. Board Supporter

Have you looked into alternative bench pressing techniques?

I'm not a powerlifter but I read some stuff about this awhile back...

One thing that was mentioned was to use your Lats to lower the weight. This, obviously, help take a bit of the brunt from your pectorials.

Perhaps somebody with experience could expand on this...
  14. KM1

The key to having a strong bench is not only a strong chest. Strong triceps, shoulders and back are several key factors. So perhaps working those muscle heavy as well, your bench will go up.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by KM1 View Post
    The key to having a strong bench is not only a strong chest. Strong triceps, shoulders and back are several key factors. So perhaps working those muscle heavy as well, your bench will go up.
    True dat!

I should have also added to throw im some heavy back/shoulder days working on presses and rear delts with your shoulders. Heavy Rows and Lat Pull Dows with your back.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

do weighted dips, close grip, and skull crushers for triceps, bent over rows and seated mid rows for back.

make sure you have a good form that you follow, i usually space my hands about 29" apart, grip the bar as tight as you can and try to pull outwards. clench your shoulder blades together throughout the entire lift, this will prevent you from adding to much shoulder into the bench and tiring early on, it will also push your chest decreasing the distance the bar has to travel. put your feet as far back as possible, but keep them flat on the floor, this will give you power in the bottom of the bench and give a good arch in your back. and lastly bring the bar down to your lower chest and upper abs.

good luck!

Similar Forum Threads

1. max bench
    By bert1 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
  2. max bench?
    By beaverboy in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM
  3. max bench?
    By beaverboy in forum Supplements