not enough, LEGS ROUTINE, too much? Feedback, critique, suggestions???????

Train4Life

Awards
This is my leg routine on Saturday's. I've only been back in the gym for a few weeks. What do you think? What do you suggest? How should I change it? My upper thighs have gained a full inch after only 2 workouts, my first leg workout was much lighter and only one calf exercise. My legs didn't appear to be very sore except for my calfs. I performed the below routine this past Saturday and my calfs still bothered my through Thursday morning. Nothing major on Thursday, just a little soreness that pretty much wore off by lunch. Calfs were fine today. Please, any insight will be appreciated.
Seated Hamstring Curls, 5x10
Leg Press, 5x10
Extensions, 5x8-10
Lay down Hamstring Curls, 5x10
Seated Calf Extensions, 4x12
Calf raises on Leg Press, 4x10 (2 w/ heels in, toes out)
Squats, 4x10
Seated Calf Raises, 6x12 (3 w/ heels in, toes out)
Lunges onto 8-inch high platform, 3x10 each leg

I was thinking of adding in some hack squats (combo sets of full and half squats for isolation of various leg muscles) into the routine as well as changing up the leg extension routine a little. Perhaps 6 sets of extentions, 2 with toes facing inward, 2 with toes facing outward and 2 with the toes regular. Perhaps some Smith Split Squats as well.

Please feed me your opinions. Come on now, opinions are like A$$HOLES, everyone has one, lets hear it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.

:squat:

jwreels

Awards
What is your goal? Are you trying to put size on your legs? Increase your squat? Or is this more sports related, like to increase your speed and quickness?

Just my opinion, but leg extensions of any kind can kill your knees.

Train4Life

Awards
Increase mass as well as strength ultimately. For increasing strength I will lower the reps ot 3-5 and increase the weight.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Train4Life,
Before I start this post, I am in no way trying to offend you. But that workout that you posted sucks for strength, and mass. If you want to be strong, and have alot of mass, you have to do the exercises that build the strength, and mass.

Deep oly squats (heavy)
front squats (med-heavy)
walking barbell lunges (light-med)
stiff leg deadlifts (light-med)
GHR machine-

Those are the exercises that build mass, the work more muscle fiber, put more stress on the muscles thats what builds mass. I would stick to the basic, and try to stay away from the machines. Just my opinion. Mark

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
squat-front, zercher, overhead, close stance with full rom, wide/close-stance box, with weight releasers, limitless possibilities...

gm-off pins or suspended with varied stances, stiff leg, arched-back wide stance

rdl-dumbell/barbell (read:HEAVY)

sldl-dumbell/barbell, rotate platform work to toes with barbell

pull-throughs

ghr and rev hyper-if you want to use machines

what did i forget??? oh yeah, hill sprints :)

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
squat-front, zercher, overhead, close stance with full rom, wide/close-stance box, with weight releasers, limitless possibilities...

gm-off pins or suspended with varied stances, stiff leg, arched-back wide stance

rdl-dumbell/barbell (read:HEAVY)

sldl-dumbell/barbell, rotate platform work to toes with barbell

pull-throughs

ghr and rev hyper-if you want to use machines

what did i forget??? oh yeah, hill sprints :)
Those exercises are mostly for strength, this guy is trying build mass, and strength. But if I guess right he is just the average guy, trying to build some wheels to match the upper body. I know alot of those exercieses are great,but mostly for strength. Mark

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
Those exercises are mostly for strength, this guy is trying build mass, and strength. But if I guess right he is just the average guy, trying to build some wheels to match the upper body. I know alot of those exercieses are great,but mostly for strength. Mark
yeah i forgot, powerlifters aren't interested in building mass :stick:.