small wrists?

smackshosh

Awards
my arms and forearms are decently proportioned but my wrists are so damn small. anything i can do for that?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, that's a bone thing. The only bones that can be perpetuated to grow by weight lifting is primarily within your axial skeleton. Heavy squats, heavy deads, heavy shrugs, anything that creates an enormous amount of stress down the center of your body, but it has to be enormous. The threshold of your bones to be stressed to the point of growth excitation is pretty high once you're an adult.

Under that principle, I imagined if you did Db wrists curls with 100lbs db you might be able to excite that process, but you would thrash your joints, so I don't recommend that.

Just work hard on your forearms and create the illusion of thickness.

P.S. I don't know your age, but if you're still young enough, then you might still have some extra bone coming in during the upcoming years. Otherwise, hit those forearms, both flexors and extensors (and I'll throw in brachioradialus)

Westerner

Westerner

Awards
I agree with VOLCOM,it is the bone thing,there is litlle you can do about it.And bones,tendons and ligaments develop much slower then muscles,thats why we hit somethimes in wall,not been able to progress in strength.Only reason why is this happening is that muscles must wait bones,ligaments and tendons,their process of development which is very slow.

That is one of the reasons of using steroids in strength sports,they can speed up this process.But how much i know there is one suplement which can infuence the same,it is cissus and super cissus,try with them.

There is also one way how you can build up muscles around wrist,and that way your's wrists will look bigger and be.Have you heard about fascial stretching?You must hit your wrist with one exercisse,like plate wrist curls,pump them with blood strong as you can,and after that you must stretch them,this is painfull but it works.First you stretch them easy 10sec,rest 5sec and stretch them 30sec so hard that you can't stand it.Stretching should be after every set.Fascial stretching is one of the important things in bodybuilding,but i dont know is it good for strength sports.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
ive got realy small wrists too man, dont worry about it...plus it;ll make your forarms look bigger..lol

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, don't worry about it, it's not a big thing.

John is right, though. Huge arms + small wrists looks better.

smackshosh

Awards
haha easy for you big wristers to say. well i kinda figured there isnt much i can do about it... guess ill just keep workin my freakin huge arms :bb:

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
baby wrists here too.. it's no biggie :)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha easy for you big wristers to say. well i kinda figured there isnt much i can do about it... guess ill just keep workin my freakin huge arms :bb:
Look at my wrists in those pictures! Tiny like a 12-year old girl's.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have small wrist, 6.75 at 5'8"(are those marks right?i always get confused which is which)I used to hate it but then learned it creates a better illusion.I read flex wheeler has small wrist and he was known for being able to stand next to someone 50lbs heavier,but look the same size.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If it makes you feel better. My wrists are 6 1/4".

smackshosh

Awards
haha ok i feel much better. thanks am and ax guys :)

ono

ono

Awards
Mine are 6 and a half inches.

Just gives me more motivation to build the rest of my arms to their potential really.

buddy6

Awards
I am 6'4" and have 7" wrists, and have really small bones all over. Do any of you guys have joint pain bc your bones are small? Seems to me if I had larger knees, elbows and wrists, I could with stand more frequent heavy training...

ono

ono

Awards
I am 6'4" and have 7" wrists, and have really small bones all over. Do any of you guys have joint pain bc your bones are small? Seems to me if I had larger knees, elbows and wrists, I could with stand more frequent heavy training...
Yeh my wrists tend to hurt after heavy sessions.

PappaD

PappaD

Awards
I have pencil wrists as well. Arnold's wrists look really small to but it makes the forarms look that much bigger!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
People have complemented my arms saying my wrists really make them look bigger (both in real life and here on the interwebz).

I wouldn't worry about it.

TheLittleGuy

TheLittleGuy

Awards
my wrists are very small also I can wrap may hand around it @ the bone middle finger to thumb very easily measures about 6 in.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
will your wrist get bigger in circumference from gaining bodyweight? Also will your bones grow from bone stress? Example when I do heavy board presses off a 5 board I use around 425-450 lbs. I use to have horrible forearm pain, like my forearm bones where bending when ever I got over 365 lbs. But know after a few workout sessions I know longer have pain. I have about a 6.75" wrist at 5'8".

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
Mine are 6 3/4", so another one with the small wrist thing here! BUT.....they make my forearms look like effing popeyes, when I am big that is:eek:

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ive got realy small wrists too man, dont worry about it...plus it;ll make your forarms look bigger..lol
An ideal bodybuilder will have small wrists, knees, and ankles. This makes the surrounding muscles look larger. Mine are also 7". My forearms when flexed are 14" lol.

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
I always blamed my bones on my Native American blood. Looks like a few others here have an Indian in the woodpile?

GreenTempo

Board Supporter
Awards
Mine are super tiny too, like 5.5"(maybe). going to start working my forearms out more regularly....tend to ignore them too often...

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Everyone should work forearms unless your lee priest.I see guys that are straight up bigger than me all the time,but i look bigger cause of small bones,i have put on alot of muscle but my arms are 14.5" with a bodyweight of 170,i started at 130 5'8".Does not sound impressive,but i get looked at in long sleeved shirt's,and turn heads in a wife beater.Yet i hear people talk sh!t about 150-170lb guys with 15" arms.:blink:

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I always thought mine were small. Just measuring at work (headphone wire against ruler, lol) and it's just over 7". Weird. I swear most people have bigger wrists than me.

How do you measure? I measured the smallest part of the wrist, both above and below the big bone bump on the pinky side of the hand.

My ex's dad is a carpenter, and he's an extremely skinny guy, yet his fingers and hands dwarf mine. His grip strength is insane. I see a lot of guys that do lots of manual labor have thick hands and fingers - might be something to all that repetitive work they do. I click on a keyboard all day - no wonder mine are so skinny, lol.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Construction is good for grip strength and forearms.I build fences with my Dad and he has good forearms,he even has the big vein in the back sticking out.I have always had good forearms too,but i still work them 1-3 times a week now.I'm shooting for Lee Priest,Frank Mcgrath forearms.Also huge calves and quads.I think construction is good for calves too from carrying and pushing wheel barrows all the time.I say forearms and calves cause they can be worked more often then other muscles,and still recover.I wonder if it holds me back on other muscles though.......The grass is always greener on the other side.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I work with computers as well. I used to do manual labor. I do not work my forearms, but this is what I have learned...

Every person has at least one muscle that will grow with little to no effort. My muscle just happens to be my forearm. My buddy can look at a rope and his tricep will grow...pisses me off to no end lol.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Construction is good for grip strength and forearms.I build fences with my Dad and he has good forearms,he even has the big vein in the back sticking out.I have always had good forearms too,but i still work them 1-3 times a week now.I'm shooting for Lee Priest,Frank Mcgrath forearms.Also huge calves and quads.I think construction is good for calves too from carrying and pushing wheel barrows all the time.I say forearms and calves cause they can be worked more often then other muscles,and still recover.I wonder if it holds me back on other muscles though.......The grass is always greener on the other side.
Frank's forearms dwarf the rest of his arms lmao. That guy looks awesome alone, but you get him on stage and he looks like a wrecked truck for some reason. He does have an insanely small waist though. He is one of my personal favorites.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Frank's forearms dwarf the rest of his arms lmao. That guy looks awesome alone, but you get him on stage and he looks like a wrecked truck for some reason. He does have an insanely small waist though. He is one of my personal favorites.
He needs some work(proportions),but absolutely amazing,theirs just something about him.I know part of it for me is the forearms,he actually works them too,Lee Priest does nothing for his:eek:I know what you mean,that photo shoot with his wife beater in the alley,you can tell they were all done at the same time,is just greatness.My favorite is the one where he's holding his beater and looking down.Contest photos are a different story,prob why he's not more popular.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I have tiny wrists as well, but i have been able to build my biceps to over 2.5x my wrist circumfence. Just because you have small wrists doesnt mean you cant gain plenty of arm mass.

warren

Awards
wat is classed as small wrists lol mine are 7 inches??

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Mine are 7 inches as well. Thats pretty small, especially when you are 6'2.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haha!Yes.I do believe my forearms have gotten bigger lately,since i/you brought it up.I did a double bi in the mirror yesterday,and imediately noticed the forearms looking thicker. :woohoo:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I did Incline Bench press my wrists have hurt. Now I sometimes on certain exercise use Inzer's wrist wraps/

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I have 6.75 wrist, and have a 13" forearm. I was wondering does small wrist, normally mean skinny fingers. I wear a 10.5 in a ring. I am not really sure what the average ring finger is.

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
Look on the bright side. Thicker wrists would more than likely mean that your ankles would be thicker too. Nobody wants cankles.

jengofett

Awards
I've got a solution!

I recently found an excellent tool for building up your wrists and forearms called the Armory. There's a video on youtube about it. Check it out!

sizzzle9

Awards
would plenty of hammer curls do ya any good? i imagine u have tried this already but its a suggestion none the less

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah what is classified as a small wrist... mine are 7" at 6'3" lol

eggplant21

eggplant21

Awards
My wrists are 6" and I'm six foot tall. My biceps are 15.75 and people guess they are at least 16.5. So small wrists can be a huge advantage, except when trying to do heavy barbell curls and they hurt like hell.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My wrists are 6" and I'm six foot tall. My biceps are 15.75 and people guess they are at least 16.5. So small wrists can be a huge advantage, except when trying to do heavy barbell curls and they hurt like hell.
That is truly small!My are 6.75 at 5'8" and they are definatly small!I can stand next to a guy thats bigger than me and look more muscular though so I love it!Get you some wrist straps.Not the ones attached to gloves but the wrist straps themselves.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
mine are 6.75 small by all means. it makes my arms look bigger though