Stretching Thread: More effective than you think

1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Stretching Thread: More effective than you think

I've been training chinese martial arts for a while now (bagua) ... here's some martial arts wisdom to be carried over to my BBing friends.

the stretching we do at the beginning of class has carried over to my weight training practice. my range of motion has increased, allowing more muscle stimulation during lifts.

i also hold less tension in my muscles, allowing recovery to be increased (decrease of lactic acid? more relaxed, enhancing rest periods.)

And for some reason, I'm getting bigger. I notice this in my traps and arms. Not only are my arms getting longer, my back is looking bigger.

Logically it makes sense. Holding alot of tension (which is increased by lifting weights) has a tendancy to make people curl into themselves. My shoulders were very tense, almost hunched at times. My traps have literally gotten about 20% bigger since beginning my stretching routine. I've really "filled out". This can also help your shoulder width to be increased.

Wake up people! Most of the pro BB'ers can do full splits.

I recommend if you want to include stretching into your routine, to do it everyday. It only takes about 15 minutes, you can do it a few hours before or after you lift. Even 5 minutes per day is better than 1 long session per week.

How to do it, mistakes to avoid, etc

If you don't want to get into the whole yoga thing, you can pick up a DVD. I practice dao-yin (daoist yoga) which is a form of Qigong (stretching + breathing exercises.) Go to amazon and read reviews for different dvds and pick one that sounds good. I don't even get on the floor ... they're all done from a standing position.

The main thing you want to focus on is stretching your core. That's where all of your organs are. Tension can cause your organs to be compressed, leading to health problems. Nobody ever died from "arm failure". The biggest mistake people make when stretching is focusing too much on the limbs and not doing whole body stretches. Think of it as "compound stretching". Everyone knows deadlifts are better than isolations.

So start thinking of balancing out your weight training with a stretching program. The results will really surprise you.

Happy training,
    RR

http://www.nps.navy.mil/safety/Misha...stretching.gif

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.76%

Do you by any chance have a list of more detailed stretches to do, or are those one's you posted sufficient for someone that wants to willing go out of their way and spend more time doing stretches?
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.7%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Anyone remember that Will Ferrell snl skit where he was in the Yoga class? Yeah. Good times.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.52%

There is one particular stretch I enjoy doing and which targets your whole upper body. They call it "Push the Sky" and it looks like this:

http://mitchanne.com/MitchAnneStandingStretch.jpg

Basically, hold the position for about 12-18 seconds while breathing normally. DO NOT bounce.

Variations of this can be turning your upper body while holding the position, and leaning to either side while holding the position (linked below). I'm sure you've seen it done before.

http://www.optimumflexibility.com/im...retch_main.jpg

We're not looking to contort our bodies on the floor, looking like a pretzel. Simple, light stretching like this done everyday can make a world of difference especially when your weight training.

I'd be happy to steer those interested in the right direction via PM.

RR
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I always do a little stretching for warm-up and after workouts, but in your opinion, do you typically stretch the muscles you just worked throughout the next day (which are now sore)? I can't tell if this would help anything or just antagonize the muscle even more ya know..
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I always do a little stretching for warm-up and after workouts, but in your opinion, do you typically stretch the muscles you just worked throughout the next day (which are now sore)? I can't tell if this would help anything or just antagonize the muscle even more ya know..
    I beleive that is a good practice and you should continue with it. It's a technique that i've employed to enhance recovery. Basically your lightly stimulating the muscle, helping improve circulation to it and also nutrients. Keep up the good work

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 10:44 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 11:26 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM