Muay Thai Training...when/should I lift?

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I recently joined a muay thai gym, and I have been training 3-4 days a week, a very intense program. We do not lift weights, lots of bodyweight exercises, plyometrics, calisthenics, etc. as well as thai pad and bag work. Needless to say, I am sore as a mofo and have cut back on my weight training to 2x per week, but i feel that it might not even be necessary since I do not think I will be making any real gains and the fact that I am really focusing on conditioning for fighting. Any suggestions?

Fergs103

Awards
When I do my MMA training ( I can only fight on the amateur circuit during the summer due to other obligations) I actually don't lift at all. We do alot of PT aimed towards conditioning the body and getting you stronger but thats all I do. If your going to fight you have to worry about weight classes and I don't know alot about pure Muay Thai fighting but you don't want to bulk up into another weight class and end up getting killed. If your fine with were you are the training should keep you in shape, but I know the pros lift but it seems like they do alot of it to condition and build strength not bulk so if you do need to lift try to stick to that.

Well thats my .02 hope it helped, I know there is at least one pro fighter on here so he would know alot more then I do about training.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't suggest a complete cessation from lifting, but reducing volume is a wise idea. I went from 5x/wk to 3x/wk and focused on strength, power, and core.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I don't suggest a complete cessation from lifting, but reducing volume is a wise idea. I went from 5x/wk to 3x/wk and focused on strength, power, and core.
Yeah i was thinking about 3x per week, with my job i really dont have the time to be in the gym 6x a week so i was thinking something like this:

Monday- Chest/Arms
Tuesday AM- 1.5hr muay thai
wed- am 1.5hr muay thai, pm shoulders/legs
thurs- am 1.5hr muay thai
Fri- upper and lower body plyos, pm muay thai
sat and sun off. Does this look like a doable split?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your main focus should be chest, back, and hip strength. Arms/delts can be reduced to 3-6 sets each, but make sure that your core and hip flexors are not only strong, but explosive.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd focus more on power movements, they don't make you hypertrophy like normal weight lifting, the bulk of your adaption(s) will be neural, so you won't have to worry about putting on excess weight. Power movements also have a greater correlation to performance then traditional bodybuilding. Explosiveness is it's primary adaption and explosiveness is key.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
all you really need to do for weights is: squats, clean and press, AND deadlift. as well as weighted abdominal work. And then your normal bodyweight exercises pushups, pullups, dips, sprints etc! You will get ripped and strong! It just takes time to build your body and get it conditioned to be able to lift weights and train. But if you stick with it you can get there.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
all you really need to do for weights is: squats, clean and press, AND deadlift. as well as weighted abdominal work. And then your normal bodyweight exercises pushups, pullups, dips, sprints etc! You will get ripped and strong! It just takes time to build your body and get it conditioned to be able to lift weights and train. But if you stick with it you can get there.
I will contend that deads can more detrimental that beneficial. They are very taxing to the lower and can lead to really nasty strains. I only do deads during periods when I am not training MMA.

Fergs103

Awards
I would also suggest making your body as hard as possible, getting everything nice and tone. I trained with a few guys that had tanks for bodies and it really helped turn me on to the idea.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I will contend that deads can more detrimental that beneficial. They are very taxing to the lower and can lead to really nasty strains. I only do deads during periods when I am not training MMA.
you don't have to go very heavy.. until you get better conditioned.
they are still an awesome exercise

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you don't have to go very heavy.. until you get better conditioned.
they are still an awesome exercise
I am not denouncing their efficacy, but they are very taxing to the CNS and Muay Thai schools put your through enough hell.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I am not denouncing their efficacy, but they are very taxing to the CNS and Muay Thai schools put your through enough hell.
agreed on the body through hell part, i have never ever in my life been this sore, sweaty, and achy and in no way am i training full time (just 3-4 times per week.) I definitely get enough of the pushup-situp regiment while training, along with enough work for delts and bis with all the punching and weighted jump roping. How does this 2 day split look as far as weights go:

Mon- Chest- Incline Dumbbell presses, smith machine throws 3-6 sets.
smith shoulder press 2 sets,
light deadlifts with higher repetitions, say 10-15, hammer strength rows

Friday- Squats and Plyos

muay thai is tues-thurs in the morning, friday one session in the afternoon.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rodja again.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
most of the time I agree with you buddy.

All i am saying is that you can get to a level of fitness where you can do all that stuff in one day. I actually just did deadlifts and powercleans today after muay thai in the morning then jiu jitsu at night.
...And im not taking any steroids.