Help me become a nightclub bouncer

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    Help me become a nightclub bouncer


    I have an opportunity to be a bouncer at a local nightclub. I'll be waiting a few months until I get back to being in the shape that I was in last summer and when I'm off probation. Unfortunately, I can't take this job while on probation seeing as how the nightclub serves alcohol. Ridiculous, I know. So, anyways, I'm 5'8''. Last summer, I went from 190lbs to 205. I was very toned and buffed. I loved it. Due to some unfortunate events, run-in's with the law, etc., I ended up quitting my job and my membership at a localy gym ended up expiring. I've been beginning getting myself back up on my feet.

    Now, at this club, the bouncers have one of two things; height or build. Most of the tall ones are real thin and a lot of the shorter to average height ones are wide. I plan on getting as toned and buffed as I was before, but I also wanna aim for a much bigger chest and much bigger arms.

    I was just wondering if there were any specific workouts, which strongly target the chest and arms, biceps and triceps in particular.

    I'll also be going into Corrections this Fall, but I'll be getting plenty of exercise and training while at the Academy.


  2. New Member
    Pistol Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    90
    Answers
    0

    What sort of workouts for your chest & arms last summer?

    I'm a big fan of hammer cursl, preachers, skull crushers / French curls, tricep kick backs & of course the mother of all tricep exercises...tricep push downs!

    In terms of chest, you of course of a few options, since the ches tis built of 3 areas. You could always do the good ol' DB chest press, flyes, cable cross overs. As well as those cool exercises, you could super set a push up thing I do. I do 10 wide stance push ups, then 10 normal width, then 10 narrow stance...after a few sessions, we'll see how good your arms & chest are!!!!!!!

    How does ^ sound ?

  3. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,392
    Answers
    0

    I would not focus so greatly as to creat muscle imbalances, rather train weaker groups after rest days and hammer on them, but still do all other bodyparts. If i were having to restain, manhandle, escort, and fight, i would want to be in fighting shape. Being injury prone, getting your ass kicked, and getting long term damage would be what i would prepare for. Get on a punching bag, great warm up and cardio. Work on your footwork and reflexes, doing moving lifts or supersetting. Good luck man.

    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Laxislife1265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    73
    Answers
    0

    of course the obvious. Bench pressing, push ups, curls, incline curls, overhead tri extensions, hands at waist push ups, chin ups, dips. Ive been working on building my arms lately. What I've found to be really effective are incline curls, overhead tri exts, hand @ waist push ups, and dips. Also on getting in fighting shape i can only say one thing. Get a jump rope. For wrestling we jump rope every day. Best thing ive ever done for cardio, footwork, rythm, and leg strength also if you get a weighted jumprope it will build your arms too.

  5. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    Thanks a lot for the input so far, guys! I really appreciate it. The nightclub I'll be working at has it's frequent party poopers and trouble makers. The bouncers then take over and the police are called. I can't count how many times I've seen some of the customers get mangled, but that's only when they show any aggressive or violent behavior towards other customers and employees. I'm expecting some people to really like me and some people to really hate me, but that happens at every job. I'll be sure to go with the suggestions you've made so far.

  6. New Member
    Laxislife1265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    73
    Answers
    0

    let us know how everything works out

  7. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Laxislife1265 View Post
    let us know how everything works out
    Will do. Thanks again for the advice! I really can't wait to get into the gym. I was so toned and jacked last summer, it's not even funny. I get so depressed just thinking about it now. I had lost almost everything and, with the holiday season, have gained several pounds back, I'm sure. I'm currently waiting on a job opportunity of being a private state-licensed security officer on the Air Force Base where I live. The bouncer gig would only be on the weekends. I'm hoping to be doing this until I got into Corrections this fall. Even then, I'd like to be in the best shape possible. There is no end to the different sizes of inmates that you encounter. Also, being fresh out of the Academy, the DOC loves to stick you into the biggest and baddest prisons since you have fresh training and knowledge. The worst prisons here in New York are Rikers, Sing-Sing, and Hudson. Prisoners constantly start riots, fights (with other inmates and guards), and they're just always ticking timebombs. You never know what to expect. You live day by day in those prisons. So, you can see that I'm not only interested in bodybuilding as a hobby. It'll also be very beneficial to me with careers I'll be pursuing in authoritive positions.

  8. New Member
    Laxislife1265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    73
    Answers
    0

    I live around NY also. I live in westchester. well good luck and try not to piss too many people off in prison.

  9. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Laxislife1265 View Post
    I live around NY also. I live in westchester. well good luck and try not to piss too many people off in prison.
    I may need all the luck I can get, so thank you. So many prisons nowadays are like battlezones.

  10. Advanced Member
    Dancebot 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    934
    Answers
    0

    The best exercises for building size, whether it's your chest or your arms or legs ect. is squats and deadlifts. I know it sounds a little weird to do squats to train your chest, but these two exercies release the most GH. Also, the body just likes to be proportionate, so trying to build one part excessively won't work as well as training the whole thing. Building overall mass is the key. Combine it with your chest and arm workouts, eat a s h i t load, and you should make progress fairly quickly.

  11. Elite Member
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,116
    Answers
    0

    Just get some Epistane - that'll give you a superman feeling, plus the gym benefits.

  12. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    Just get some Epistane - that'll give you a superman feeling, plus the gym benefits.
    This has been on my 'to do' list for the longest time now. Trust me, I plan on getting around to it.

  13. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Dancebot 2000 View Post
    The best exercises for building size, whether it's your chest or your arms or legs ect. is squats and deadlifts. I know it sounds a little weird to do squats to train your chest, but these two exercies release the most GH. Also, the body just likes to be proportionate, so trying to build one part excessively won't work as well as training the whole thing. Building overall mass is the key. Combine it with your chest and arm workouts, eat a s h i t load, and you should make progress fairly quickly.
    To be honest, I've never done squats or deadlifts before. I won't need anyone to spot me, will I?

    Eating and the appropriate supplementation should definitely not even be a problem at all.

  14. Advanced Member
    Dancebot 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    934
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGuyinNY View Post
    To be honest, I've never done squats or deadlifts before. I won't need anyone to spot me, will I?

    Eating and the appropriate supplementation should definitely not even be a problem at all.
    You won't need a spotter for DL, and you won't need for squats unless you are really pushing max weight. Legs respond very well to high volume, so keep your reps ATLEAST 8 (I do sometimes do 4-6, but usually I do 10-20 reps). Push the weight you are doing.

    If you've never done squats before, then brace yourself because;

    1) They're hard, and they hurt the next day.

    2) you will break through any sort of plateau, and you'll grow more than you have in years.

  15. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Dancebot 2000 View Post
    You won't need a spotter for DL, and you won't need for squats unless you are really pushing max weight. Legs respond very well to high volume, so keep your reps ATLEAST 8 (I do sometimes do 4-6, but usually I do 10-20 reps). Push the weight you are doing.

    If you've never done squats before, then brace yourself because;

    1) They're hard, and they hurt the next day.

    2) you will break through any sort of plateau, and you'll grow more than you have in years.
    They actually sound very beneficial, but fun as well! I'm definitely gonna try these out. I really do appreciate your input.

  16. New Member
    Nutz's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    133
    Answers
    0

    on a more practical note, as a tall, skinny ( I dread to think what I way now, maybe 190 down from 210? at 6'3" , Ive got lazy and need to hit the weights, even if my BF% is down) bouncer ( doorman) here in the UK, talking is a more useful skill than looking the part.

    obviously the doors are a bit different here than there, but check out Working the Doors forums to pick up some info should you want it!

    oh, and BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests do cheap, well fitting custom stab / ballistic vests.

    Martial arts made me loose my strength training focus, although they have really sharpened up my skills. if you haven't done anything before check out Sherdog.com - Serving up Heaping Fistfuls of Mixed Martial Arts forums, maybe do some Krav maga from a descent trainer to get ya on your toes and sparring and for the verbal confrontation stuff they often do. I find the trickis to be able to go from nice, jokey, tolerant, polite guy to aggressive, kill you with my stare phyco in a heartbeat when its time to go for it. adrenaline to most people = fear. I really need to get my ass back into the squat rack on occasion thou!

  17. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    We don't have any problems with people using weapons, especially since the city police would just come running out of nowhere and shooting sh!t up. We usually get drunk/pissed off/immature patrons who ended up throwing their fists around, get verbal, and start throwing things. Those are the people that I'll be dealing with, but for now, I'm just another patron. Talking is the first alternative to defusing a problem. If that doesn't work, then you resort to escorting them out of the club. If that doesn't work, then you threaten to call the police and begin escorting them outside (the police threat usually convinces many angry patrons to leave.) If they end up picking a fight with one of the bouncers, then the other bouncers get involved and the situation is eventually taken care of. Several of the police usually sit in their squad vehicles across the street. They sometimes walk around the club and sometimes go inside, but that's only to ease any tension and to check for underage drinkers.

  18. New Member
    Nutz's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    133
    Answers
    0

    completely, 9 times out of ten most punters back down ( and don't have to lose face by fighting whoever they had a issue with, where they may loose..) when a bouncer steps in, and you have plenty of backup a button press away on the radio. I'm guessing things must work slightly differently over here, as the police tend not to be involved so much and are fairly good about letting us deal with things as we see fit within reason.

    do bare in mind, although I'm sure you know, size isn't everything. boxers tend to be the worst for kicking off quickly and efficiently and come in small packages over here its nice to have some big bruisers on the front door thou so ppl don't get ideas.

    by no means saying you don't know what your doing, I'm sure you do, or you wouldn't get offered work, and enjoy the job, its usually getting paid well for standing around chatting ( with eyes open of course!)

  19. Senior Member
    Hurleyboy05's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,755
    Answers
    0

    Damn I wanna be a bouncer. I gotta get bigger!!!

  20. Professional Member
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Answers
    0

    It depends if you want to just be intimidating 'looking' or actually have some skill that makes you intimidating.

    Rodja doesn't look huge (no offense Rodja, that's not what your training for anyways), but I have no doubt he would destroy some huge bouncer with no MMA skills.

  21. Senior Member
    warnerve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,939
    Answers
    0

    i bounce at a really big place on the weekends and in the summer, but we have like 40 people there on the weekends in the summer when it's really busy, so they use sheer numbers to calm down any situation. if you wanna get bigger to be a bouncer, just work out and do what everyone else on this site is doing, there's no workout for it. it's mainly dealing with people and leveling with them when you can and being able to overpower/restrain them when you can't. Best method is sleeper and then telling them you aren't loosening it up unless they stop. Full nelson works good too. I wouldn't recommend throwing any punches unless you wanna deal with your own lawsuit, at least that's what I was told at my work.

  22. Professional Member
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    i bounce at a really big place on the weekends and in the summer, but we have like 40 people there on the weekends in the summer when it's really busy, so they use sheer numbers to calm down any situation. if you wanna get bigger to be a bouncer, just work out and do what everyone else on this site is doing, there's no workout for it. it's mainly dealing with people and leveling with them when you can and being able to overpower/restrain them when you can't. Best method is sleeper and then telling them you aren't loosening it up unless they stop. Full nelson works good too. I wouldn't recommend throwing any punches unless you wanna deal with your own lawsuit, at least that's what I was told at my work.
    LOL@ sleeper and full nelson. Wait until you try to do that to a BJJ practicioner and get owned.

  23. Senior Member
    warnerve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,939
    Answers
    0

    would love to hear your expert opinion then.

  24. Professional Member
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    would love to hear your expert opinion then.
    Actually I'm a BJJ blue belt, and while I may not look huge at 250 lb's(considering it's hard to put muscle on a 6'6 frame), size and strength are relatively insignificant compared with technique and skill.

    I actually think those attributes are highly overrated. You could have smaller bouncers that had a skill like judo or bjj, and they would be much more effective IMO.

    JMHO.

  25. Senior Member
    warnerve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,939
    Answers
    0

    yeah, but i mean what do you recommend for restraining or essentially making someone "say uncle" then? and 6'6 at 250 is damn good. now you got me kinda worried, i gotta go to work tonight and you ruined my go to moves for me

  26. Professional Member
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    yeah, but i mean what do you recommend for restraining or essentially making someone "say uncle" then? and 6'6 at 250 is damn good. now you got me kinda worried, i gotta go to work tonight and you ruined my go to moves for me
    If something works for you don't change it, just know you could be way more effective with more knowledge and experience.

  27. Senior Member
    warnerve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,939
    Answers
    0

    interesting...thanks for the tip, i am gonna look into this some. i've never had any sort of fighting training, so it'll be good for me anyways

  28. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Answers
    0

    Your best weapon is your voice. Looking the part and acting the part both help. It's best to have both than just one, but in some situations, especially in rowdy nightclubs, it's best to be able to act the part. I'm not at all worried about getting into any verbal or physical conflict. I'm one of those people who just doesn't back down. I don't give up until I win. I'd say my only 'con' is the fact that I run my mouth and don't know where to draw the line. I'm known to have a very violent temper. I'm actually in something called the 'Violence Intervention Program.' It's the same idea as anger management, but it focuses on so much more and is much more effective. But, anyways, I'm a good size with a good build. I just need to get back into the gym and get back to the way I used to be.

  29. Senior Member
    jasonschaffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,253
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGuyinNY View Post
    To be honest, I've never done squats or deadlifts before. I won't need anyone to spot me, will I?

    Eating and the appropriate supplementation should definitely not even be a problem at all.
    If the gym you work out at has some GOOD trainers ask them to work with you the first couple times you squat and deadlift. 90% of the people at my gym do both of them wrong. Start light and master your form first. Your strength will skyrocket after you get good form down.

  30. Board Supporter
    Bering C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    47
    Posts
    372
    Answers
    0

    I bounce on weekends occasionaly as a favor for a friend who manages a club here in AK, On sat night my wife and I were out for a few beers I was not working and just enjoying hanging out when a big rukus started just a few feet away from me, I reacted faster than the bouncer on duty and wrapped up the biggest guy in the fray with a guillotine and a arm bar, it was over as quick as it started, I have only had to get physical 3 times while bouncing, It is always the last resort when talking won't difuse the situation, It helps I live in a small town and know most of the patrons. I do it strictly as a recreational job for the bennys, I can say without a doubt that I wouldn't want to do it all the time or even in a bigger town. Muscleing up is good but your voice is your most effective weapon.

  31. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,068
    Answers
    0

    WTF, so you guillotined him out cold and then broke his arm with an armbar? Who are you, Bas friggin Rutten. Not saying you're lying at all, just lookin for some clarification.

  32. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,066
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    WTF, so you guillotined him out cold and then broke his arm with an armbar? Who are you, Bas friggin Rutten. Not saying you're lying at all, just lookin for some clarification.
    Marlon Sims!

  33. New Member
    chaos254's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0

    Learn how to talk to people, this will help you the most. I wouldn't worry about getting huge. Size helps but majority of the time if you know how to deal with people you can usually talk them down or atleast get them to walk outside with you and then its no longer your problem. I've been doing security since I was in college and have worked at one of the biggest clubs on the east coast so I know from experience. Also don't be a hardass, it will only get you in trouble. Remember people are there to have fun... and its not personal. People get drunk and are not in the right state of mind. A lot of guys I worked with(specifically smaller guys/tough guys) always got off on kicking people out and they were always the ones that got knocked the **** out or hurt when they tried to push around the wrong person.

    For the most part... people will back down when the bouncers get involved but of course you always get those hard asses that try to fight you. I would definitely advise against hitting anyone unless it is absolutely necessary as pointed out in an earlier post. It will just be more of hassle for nothing. That doesn't mean dont protect yourself it just means think before you hit.

    I could go on and on about the DO's and DON'TS but you'll learn once you do it for awhile.

  34. Board Supporter
    Bering C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    47
    Posts
    372
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    WTF, so you guillotined him out cold and then broke his arm with an armbar? Who are you, Bas friggin Rutten. Not saying you're lying at all, just lookin for some clarification.
    no he never went out and I sure didn't break his arm. thats just how it went down.

  35. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,066
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering C View Post
    no he never went out and I sure didn't break his arm. thats just how it went down.
    I'm confused too. So you guillotined and pulled guard, the guillotine slipped off and you transitioned to armbar? Something's fishy in the Bering C.

  36. New Member
    bigrabbit's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    85
    Answers
    0

    Do major movements like Bench Presses, Deadlifts, Squads etc they work major groups...

  37. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,672
    Answers
    0

    If your not into self defense already, start learning. Cuz size and the projection of strength matters nyet to a drunken group.

  38. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,672
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by chaos254 View Post
    Learn how to talk to people, this will help you the most. I wouldn't worry about getting huge. Size helps but majority of the time if you know how to deal with people you can usually talk them down or atleast get them to walk outside with you and then its no longer your problem. I've been doing security since I was in college and have worked at one of the biggest clubs on the east coast so I know from experience. Also don't be a hardass, it will only get you in trouble. Remember people are there to have fun... and its not personal. People get drunk and are not in the right state of mind. A lot of guys I worked with(specifically smaller guys/tough guys) always got off on kicking people out and they were always the ones that got knocked the **** out or hurt when they tried to push around the wrong person.

    For the most part... people will back down when the bouncers get involved but of course you always get those hard asses that try to fight you. I would definitely advise against hitting anyone unless it is absolutely necessary as pointed out in an earlier post. It will just be more of hassle for nothing. That doesn't mean dont protect yourself it just means think before you hit.

    I could go on and on about the DO's and DON'TS but you'll learn once you do it for awhile.
    Really good advice. The best victory is the one you can handle without your fists.

  39. New Member
    SureShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    478
    Answers
    0

    What corrections dept is going to hire somebody fresh off probation and in an anger management program? IMO, the last thing you want to do is become a nightclub bouncer right before you are about to get hired in any law enforcement position. You can jeopardize your career if having to take any action in a physical confrontation, IE u kick someone out, get physical, said person sues you, now when you go to apply for an LE position, you have an open case, even if it is only civil. DOES NOT look good, trust me

  40. New Member
    Bobby Lee's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  243 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    52
    Answers
    0

    I've bounced and done private security for 10 years now. Your voice is the most important thing, i've talked down MANY dumb drunk ass celebs here in Minneapolis. ( Hi Allen Iverson. ..lol )

    Anyhoo, make sure you focus on your flexability and reflexes too while ur muscling up, theres a lotta guys I work with that are jacked to the gills and can't move to save their lives. its kinda funny actually

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Help Me Blindfaith
    By MUSCLEDAD71 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 10:35 AM
  2. Im Sick. Help Me Get Better.
    By ex_banana-eater in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 12:26 AM
  3. Help me bring de "boys" back ! ZMA?
    By txwakeskater in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 07:48 PM
  4. Help me find best yohimbine HCL product?
    By smokinghawk in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 04:44 PM
  5. could you guys help me?
    By Sanosuke in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2002, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in