Pushups

jerz912

jerz912

Awards
I've been lifting for a while and have plenty of experience but not enough! My story is lately I haven't been able to access a gym so I've be doing a lil over 200 pushups every 72 hours! I was just wondering can I do pushups everyday like I do crunches without over training! If I just cut down to like a 100 pushups everyday will I be ok? Because I know all about over training thats why I do them every 72 hours! I feel like an idiot asking this qeustion because I should know this! I won't have access to a gym for a while so I wanna be able to workout every day at home so I can mantain my build! thanks

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Let your body guide you. Every 72 hours is plenty of rest time, IMO, especially with bodyweight exercises.

jerz912

jerz912

Awards
Let your body guide you. Every 72 hours is plenty of rest time, IMO, especially with bodyweight exercises.
But the point of my question is to find a way to make a program to do pushups everyday without over training!!
Thanks for the input tho!!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But the point of my question is to find a way to make a program to do pushups everyday without over training!!
Thanks for the input tho!!
I don't think you should be doing mass amounts everyday...every 2 days at most.

You can perhaps do something like 50 pushups on off days, and 200-300 on training days.

When I was in the Army, we had organized physical training with upper body twice a week and cardio 3 times a week. Add onto this my evening workouts of 6 days a week (each bodypart twice a week) and I did make some great gains.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I have been focusing on bodyweight routines lately, in accordance with my martial arts training goals.

I recommend you treat the pushups like a workout with weights, IE, take days off in between.

Many people don't give pushups the credit they deserve. They hit a large portion of your upper body, including arms, abs, chest, lats and shoulders.

RR

jerz912

jerz912

Awards
I have been focusing on bodyweight routines lately, in accordance with my martial arts training goals.

I recommend you treat the pushups like a workout with weights, IE, take days off in between.

Many people don't give pushups the credit they deserve. They hit a large portion of your upper body, including arms, abs, chest, lats and shoulders.

RR
Your right, pushups are effective! I guess I'll just stick to 200 every 72 hour until I get back in the gym! Thanks for the imput guys!

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Your right, pushups are effective! I guess I'll just stick to 200 every 72 hour until I get back in the gym! Thanks for the imput guys!
Try not to get stuck on numbers, just work out until until you feel you have had enough (not hunting for the burn, but more CNS fatigue)... And don't work out again until you fell ready.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Try some variations like clap pushups, staggered, triceps or you could even get someone to put a weight on you so you don't have to do 200..

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can put variation in your push up routine too. Do 50 regular, 50 incline push ups (feet up on the couch), 50 decline (feet up on the couch). Hindu Push Ups or Power Push Ups (clap push ups).

A variation plan will have a greater effect then frequency schedule. The same exercise over and over will fall under "the law of diminishing returns."

In bodybuilding that principle is called G.A.S. General Adaption Syndrome. When an exercise becomes easier and easier, over time it's less of a strength adaption and more of an efficiency adaption, which is great for maintenance, but not for progress.

Good luck

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Bench presses are more fun, but pushups are definetely worthwhile. Last summer, when I went on vacation I was doing 10 sets of 10 pushups most days and eating plenty of food. To my surprise, my shirts started fitting my torso tighter by the end of the vacation. I actually put on some bulk with just pushups. Plus, when I got back to the gym, my bench press had went up by about 10 lbs!