What do you guys think of BOWFLEX?

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
I'm 6'0 150 pounds I'm trying to bulk up and gain muscle, unfortunately all I have in my possesion are two measly 20 pound dumb bells and my dad's bowflex machine that's been laying around the basement. The machine to me is weird, it doesn't give me the same aggressive satisfaction that pumping iron does. One guy told me that the machine was pretty legit and useful. Compared to me he was fairly buff at the same height as me but at 180 pounds, same mesomorph bone structure and everything.

I don't have a membership to a gym and I don't really think there's one nearby here (except the YMCA) and I really don't like the idea of taking time to travel to a gym and back. Hopefully I can save up some cash to buy a real weight set and some leg machines (probably gonna be a while).

Overall though what do you guys think of the bowflex and is it possible to make any gains with this machine?

Also are there some cheap ways for working out the legs on my own without going to a gym?

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
I had it and can honestly say spend the money on freeweights and some benches, you'll be much happier with what you can do with regular weights and different benches, the bowflex is expensive and is somewhat limiting in the amount of excersizes you can do

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My ex's father had a station similar to this one:

It wasn't a Bowflex, but I loved it.

He also had free weights, barbells, a freestanding VKR/Chin/Dip combo machine, and a treadmill. There is so much more variety in the local gym I go to, though. Hell, $40 per month gets you access to the gym (It's open 24 hours a day), pool, hottub, sauna/steamroom, and you can enter different classes, such as spinning classes, for free. The gym's hoping to get a Dr. Smoothie bar installed sometime within the next year, I think. I really hope that goes through. I love the Dr. Smoothie products. They're very refreshing.

I must agree that I don't feel the same intensity lifting at home, as I do in the gym. I love the feeling of being at the gym.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you can afford it, or can't get a better deal on a similar product I say why not?. What I want is the Tread Climber. It looks really fun and I am getting sick of my current home cardio machine. I will probally look around at other machines first though.

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Fcuk BLOW-FLEX!! Free weights are more affordable and more versatile for different lifts. BLOWFLEX resistance just doesn't feel right to me. Rubber bands and pulleys don't give you the same type of contractions or results as good'ol IRON and STEEL!!! Also, Play it again is a great place to find low priced gear so definitely check that out!! I actually got my first bench there years ago with weight for like 150 bucks. Just my 2cents though.:nutkick:

eros62d

eros62d

Awards
Bowflex has a brilliant marketing ad,but you'll never build any serious muscle with their machine. I guess it's better than doing nothing though!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bowflex has a brilliant marketing ad,but you'll never build any serious muscle with their machine. I guess it's better than doing nothing though!
Why do say this?. Do you have evidence to back this up?. It is a progressive resistance machine. It is the same thing as working out with free weights but more advanced technology. You don't have to like it, but you can't conclusively tell me that you can't build muscle using progressive resistance execerise with the bowflex and you can with free weights. That just doesn't make any sense. :blink::blink:

eros62d

eros62d

Awards
Why do say this?. Do you have evidence to back this up?. It is a progressive resistance machine. It is the same thing as working out with free weights but more advanced technology. You don't have to like it, but you can't conclusively tell me that you can't build muscle using progressive resistance execerise with the bowflex and you can with free weights. That just doesn't make any sense. :blink::blink:
I just don't believe you can put on mass using bands for 30 minutes,3 times as week,(as their ads claim),as effectively as you can using free weights. Deads,squats,bench,ect. Do you have evidence that their ads are truthful? Just my opinion,I don't believe it.

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
Speaking of deadlifts and squats, I would really appreciate some information on some cheap ways I could do these sort of exercises at home. If there is no way to do it cheap how much do these machines usually run for?

I remember reading around that it's really important to work out the lower body as well as the upper body since it works synergistically and can determine how your upper body develops.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of deadlifts and squats, I would really appreciate some information on some cheap ways I could do these sort of exercises at home.
Cheap squats = doing 1-legged squats

As for other cheap things, at home, I have one of those chinup bars that you hang from your doorway. $20 or so

Deadlift? I can only think of finding something heavy at home or in your yard, whatever that is.

You can always get an obese girlfriend and pick her up from the ground...then you'll also have a cheap bench press too when she's trying to climb on top of you in bed. ;) lol

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Wait a month and start cruising your local craigslist. Lots of 'New Years resolutions' gone bad deals to be had on equipment.

I will agree, $109 for the Olympic BB set, get yourself a cheap bench and some Oly dumbell handles. Add plates from Play it again (~$.40/lb) when you need them.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
You can always get an obese girlfriend and pick her up from the ground...then you'll also have a cheap bench press too when she's trying to climb on top of you in bed. ;) lol
:icon_lol:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Clean and Jerk?

Where I'm from it's usually the other way around...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Use what you have man, hell I'd use ropes and rocks if I had to.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Get that giant wheel. I'm talking Conan style!

Fergs103

Awards
I actually only have access to the Y here, and while one Y is fully equiped with all kinds of free weights, its packed all the time. So what I do is go to the other one that has some free weights and alot of machines to lift. But that stopped working for me so I went down to my local sporting goods shop, picked up a 300lbs oly set and a bench complete with squat rack, leg extension/ leg curl section at the end, and a preacher curl attachtment. All together that ran me about $300 but I'm able to do just about my entire leg workout at home without having to hit up a crowded gym. Next I went out and bought a 160lbs small bar set plus 50lbs, went online and grabbed some dumbell handles(much much much cheaper then buying unajustable dumbells) which ended up running me another $200 or so. But what I know have is the ability to just about every free weight exercise there is right at home. If you need to just suck it up and instead of getting birthday/xmas gifts ask for money or have people donate to your " at home gym fund". I strongly dislike bowflex type things, get for toning I'd expect but can't see much else.

NP HUlK

NP HUlK

Awards
Nothing can replace free weights! If you want to get big the only way is to use free weights and olympic style lifting such as bench,squat,dead lift,ect. :dl::squat:

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Nevermind buying a weightset. Just use the bowflex. Pick that ***** up and carry it around. Do that until you're strong enough to press it up overhead, and do pushpresses. Lay on your back, crawl underneath and benchpress that ****. Get someone to sit on the seat once it's too light. Tie some ropes or chains to it and drag it up and down the street for sled pulls. Do pull ups on the pull up station(you can hang the pulldown bar from the hooks at the top). get someone to sit on the seat and read while you bend over and grab the feet and row it.(better yet, get a viking to sit on the seat and scream at you to ROW. Whipping optional.)

Bowflexes are great workout tools. Come'on you haters.:twisted:

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
My parents bought one of these (which they never use) and I use it occasionally for a change every now and then. Good bench, can lay flat or incline.

The only bowflex product I use regularly are these:

I like the compactness of the dial-in weights.

Other than that, to the gym I go!!

beallio

beallio

Awards
Nothing can replace free weights! If you want to get big the only way is to use free weights and olympic style lifting such as bench,squat,dead lift,ect. :dl::squat:
Not to be a ****, but there are only two olympic lifts: Clean and jerk, and snatch.

I believe you are referencing powerlifting...

Back on topic: if you want cheap, but effective training look into Dinosaur bodyweight training. Seriously.

NP HUlK

NP HUlK

Awards
Ya i ment power lifting but i wonder who died and left you to monitor all of the postings?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
It seems at least 90% of people that sh!t-talk the Bowflex (or similar Weider models) have never done a single workout on using one. If you have used one and didn't like it fine, but don't "knock it 'til you try it".

Yes, you can get results using it. It's not as versatile as a gym, and the type of resistance (wrt resistance rod models) is not like that which you get from free weights. The resistance is exponential... the farther you bend the rod, the harder it is to bend. So, for example, on bench pressing... the resistance felt at chest level would be much less than what you will feel as you extend the arms outward. It takes a little getting used to, but you learn to adjust for this, mainly by doing partial reps.

All in all, I think the Bowflex coupled w/ some auxillary equipment (like 20-30# DBs, a curl bar w/ about 100# of plates to go on it) will get you going nicely. The bench, as stated, will lay flat, incline, and nearly straight up for shoulder work.

The toughy about the Bowflex is leg work. It has okay leg extension and curl attachments, but I find myself resorting to DB lunges for my "pressing" motion.

I got the extra resistance package (~430# total, I think) and the lat pull-down bar.

Would I go buy a bowflex instead of free-weights starting out? Only if I was only casually interested in staying fit.

If you are serious at all, I would opt for free-weight equipment, as it's much more versatile and more "natural".

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i realise this thread was started a month ago,but i started on a crossbow.I'm old school now as far as being mainly freeweights.To me machines are like sex with a condom,better than nothing, but not the same as the real thing.Reason for posting though,when i bought weights for myself, i bought a used bench from a pawn shop for 45.00.Thick padding and it inc. and dec.olympic bar and adjustable dumbells.Bought extra weights when i could.The benches arms would raise up or down.When i did legs I would drag the bench from the wall and raise the arms.I could then sit on the bench under the bar and pick it up and do my sq's.After that take yor bar off and do stiff legged deads.calfes are kind of hard to hit but you can stand on a plate for the stretch at the bottom,and do them standing,then sit down and put the bar on your knees to do them seated.I joined a gym about 8-10 months ago though,and i am verry happy i did.

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
Shakes made very valid points.. Probably 8 years ago, I went from a jacked 245 only working out at gyms using every free weight movement possible, cable machines etcc.. you all know the gig...anways, got divorced, partied like a rock star, bounced at night clubs and resorted to using a bowflex with one of my boys for convienence.. I dropped from 245 down to 180-190 ( thats where I fluctuated)... This is of course not from simply switching my workouts.. I know this.. My lifestyle was the major reason for weight loss.. so read further
The bowflex worked fine and kept me toned and in shape.. The exercises are limited true..

Eventually I slowed down got out of the party scene and went back to my first love ( free weights and a gym)...
That transition alone added 10lbs of pure muscle.. I had not been partying for months, so that was not the reason..

You wont build a champion body with a bowflex.. and the resistance is progressive, however you can keep yourself in shape.. and honestly as I age, all the years of heavy lifting using copious amounts of aas has taken a toll of some of my joints.. Not to mention my work which is very physical..

For all out hardcore, nothing beats gym and everything it offers.. A bowflex does have its place though i think in some instances..

anabolicstate

anabolicstate

Awards
Back on topic: if you want cheap, but effective training look into Dinosaur bodyweight training. Seriously.
Interesting that you bring the Dinosaur training up. I've read through it so 'm familiar with this training program but there's a lot of negativity surrounding bodyweight exercises in regards to how effective they are to building muscle, increasing strength, etc. I've heard of BW exercises for "maintaining" a physique or keeping fit for some time but do you feel this program is one a person can engage in while leaving the weights alone and make significant fitness progress?

morigu

Awards
Yeah bowflex is limited but I think it has its place also , especially if you are working out by yourself and storage place is limited. Add a set of power blocks and you can get a pretty good workout at home in a very limited space.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, a bowflex you have access to is better than a full weight set that you dont :D really i'd be that if you are just starting, you can make some decent progress the first year even on bowflex.

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
I think if you are gonna buy a bow flex you should look at craigslist.com first.

I've seen them as low as $150 dollars locally. All them are listed as lightly used.

GreenTempo

Board Supporter
Awards
If you can afford it, or can't get a better deal on a similar product I say why not?. What I want is the Tread Climber. It looks really fun and I am getting sick of my current home cardio machine. I will probally look around at other machines first though.
Ugh....treadclimbers.....I work at a gym, have to put up with old ladies b*tching at me and trying to cut each other off in line to use them.....

tmachovec

tmachovec

Awards
I'm 6'0 150 pounds I'm trying to bulk up and gain muscle, unfortunately all I have in my possesion are two measly 20 pound dumb bells and my dad's bowflex machine that's been laying around the basement. The machine to me is weird, it doesn't give me the same aggressive satisfaction that pumping iron does. One guy told me that the machine was pretty legit and useful. Compared to me he was fairly buff at the same height as me but at 180 pounds, same mesomorph bone structure and everything.

I don't have a membership to a gym and I don't really think there's one nearby here (except the YMCA) and I really don't like the idea of taking time to travel to a gym and back. Hopefully I can save up some cash to buy a real weight set and some leg machines (probably gonna be a while).

Overall though what do you guys think of the bowflex and is it possible to make any gains with this machine?

Also are there some cheap ways for working out the legs on my own without going to a gym?
Here's what I did. I am 6'2 and weighed 160. My roommate had a total gym. I decided I was tired of being skinny so I started do every exercise I could on it for a week. Then the next week I moved it up a notch and did the routine again, then moved it up again and so on.

I didn't start bulking up BUT it did get strong enough to not look like a total wimp at the gym. After a month or so I started hitting up free weights and a year later I'm at 190 lbs. or so now.

Use the bowflex to make sure you want to really stick with it since you already have it and it's free. I doubt you get ripped with it but its a way to learn exercise techniques and get used to working out and so on. Hope this helped a little.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is resistance training and I still don't understand why people think they won't gain as much muslce as using free weights. That just doesn't make any sense. I do understand the fact that it is just too expensive and that with free weights you have more options for different exercises. With most free weight exercises though the resistance drops at certain points throughout the range of motion. With the bowflex you get resistance throughout the entire range of motion. Also it was created after free weights, and there haven't really been any advances in free weights. It was also created by the man that created the Nautlis Machines in gyms.

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
The whole ploy about "continual resistance" is a marketing scam. The sale of spring loaded exercisers dates way way back. Why have they been so heavily marketed? Because they are cheaper to ship than a butt load of plates, and dumbbells.

My other website details this:

Spring Exercisers on Forgottenmuscle.com

Besides if they showcased a bunch of plates, and dumbbells on a late night infomercial, you would just say...wtf would I pay for that crap when I could probably get it locally at the local ****'s?