Squat

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
Do I HAVE to squat in order to put on mass......solid mass....enough to compete?

Question arises because my knees are 100% shot...I'd love to squat, but the weight would be so light, wondering if it would be worth it

I mean, I bench, deadlift, clean, high pull...I train hard and heavy, just at 6'3 and a former triatholoist....it kills me...

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
If it's that big of an issue I think you can do leg press instead. You lose some of the benefits of the squat but it's still a good exercise. Possibly also include an exercise for your glutes. I get a burn in my glutes from squats that just isn't there when I'm doing leg press. I'm sure you'll get more advice from the fellas but that's my 2 cents.

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
If it's that big of an issue I think you can do leg press instead. You lose some of the benefits of the squat but it's still a good exercise. Possibly also include an exercise for your glutes. I get a burn in my glutes from squats that just isn't there when I'm doing leg press. I'm sure you'll get more advice from the fellas but that's my 2 cents.
I want to squat and I used to squat.....just the pain, crackeling and weakness in m knees SUCKS! I mean, sure, I could squat now, with like 135, but is there a point??? What about hammer assisted squats, smith machine,

I know I could gain just as much mass from hacks and leg press + lunges......no?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a trainer but I really don't see squatting as being a good idea if your knees are in as bad a shape are you're describing.

"The squat is perhaps the most effective weight-training exercise for total-body development...The legs may be moving the body, but it takes a stable trunk and strong upper body to provide a foundation in which the legs can produce force. This is especially true when you start adding weights to your squats. Whether it be a back squat, front squat, split squat or overhead squat, many muscles of your whole body work in concert in order to lower and raise your center of gravity."
You could squat with light weight I suppose but I'd keep it light weight. You really won't be gaining any mass from that but it would help the rest of your body develop regarding stability. I'd say stick with the other exercises like leg press and whatnot for mass.

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
I'm not a trainer but I really don't see squatting as being a good idea if your knees are in as bad a shape are you're describing.

You could squat with light weight I suppose but I'd keep it light weight. You really won't be gaining any mass from that but it would help the rest of your body develop regarding stability. I'd say stick with the other exercises like leg press and whatnot for mass.
THANKS...so it's possible to gain mass, without?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I don't see why not. I was able to make good gains in my legs doing all the lower body exercises except squats. I didn't start squatting until recently(apprehension about proper form/lack of spotter/etc)

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do whatever you can do and no you don't have to squat to build leg mass. Squats are more important to athletes or powerlifters. Besides you'll be fine because your back is still getting hit from deadlifts and cleans. One thing you may want to add in to get the hamstrings is good mornings. When I used to go to the gym I did hacks, leg presses, and extensions and my legs grew faster than they do now. Now I only do barbell and dumbell exercises for my legs since I train at home and its not as effective for leg size. Not a concern to me though as I train for strength.