westside questions

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i am logging a routine over at ironaddicts titled WS4SB(hardgainer) and had a question about my next cycle. I like the fact i have a ME bench and RE bench day, and i am wanting to add a RE squat day also. to include the RE squat day i was thinking of doing ME squat on week 1 follwed by 2 wks of RE squat days and repeating thru cycle. keep a little pressure off my CNS i was thinking. sound good or no?

ktw

Awards
  • Established
You could do that or you could just simply sub in an RE movement instead of that plyo day they have you do. If you aren't on the third version then I am assuming you only have 1 lower day a week. You could do what you described or you simply can add the second day like a full WSB split would have you do. It all depends on what you can handle without overreaching. Basically you will have to try it out and see how you respond to determine the answer to your question.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
i am logging a routine over at ironaddicts titled WS4SB(hardgainer) and had a question about my next cycle. I like the fact i have a ME bench and RE bench day, and i am wanting to add a RE squat day also. to include the RE squat day i was thinking of doing ME squat on week 1 follwed by 2 wks of RE squat days and repeating thru cycle. keep a little pressure off my CNS i was thinking. sound good or no?
When you say RE do you mean DE (dynamic effort)? I would at least go every other week with your ME days, it won't even come close to overtaxing your CNS. I personally would squat every 5th day, especially since one of the days is a light workout. Squats are a total body building exercise, you should do them as often as you can (without overtraining of course).

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i think i will alternate ME and RE(repitition day) on the squats every week. thanks for the advice. progress is slow but its coming.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
When you say RE do you mean DE (dynamic effort)? I would at least go every other week with your ME days, it won't even come close to overtaxing your CNS. I personally would squat every 5th day, especially since one of the days is a light workout. Squats are a total body building exercise, you should do them as often as you can (without overtraining of course).
Repetition work, or basically just standard 5-12 rep work sets. Basically it's the work that isn't ME or DE specific.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yes thats right. the repitition work for bench has really helped me gain strength and some good lines. my main goal is to continue to get healthier, eat right and get some good strength. my goals for mid next year is a 400lb squat/dead and a 350 bench.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
yes thats right. the repitition work for bench has really helped me gain strength and some good lines. my main goal is to continue to get healthier, eat right and get some good strength. my goals for mid next year is a 400lb squat/dead and a 350 bench.
Respectable numbers. I wish I could get to that level, but these days with the commute I have I'm lucky to snag two days a week for the weights. Basically it's Sunday and any weekday where I feel I can drag ass out of bed at 4 AM, which is complicated by playing racquetball at 8 or 9 PM twice a week. The latter is more important to me now though, but I'm definitely going to be following your log. I have an odd west side routine mixed with max stim I came up with that I want to try, and will once I move closer to work once I'm sure it's permanent. But right now I have to stick to the bare basics.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i still find myself trying to do alot of different exercises. there is such a variety that i try to incorporate them all. just keep reminding myself about overtraining and simple is the way to go. will post my results of this cycle on dec. 29. and my new log will start jan. 7th.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
If you properly rotate your ME lifts you should overtrain very rarely if at all. Most WSB guys never deload according to a few videos I have seen of Louie's seminars.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
If you properly rotate your ME lifts you should overtrain very rarely if at all. Most WSB guys never deload according to a few videos I have seen of Louie's seminars.
Deloading is done towards the end of a contest prep cycle (2 weeks out). I deload every once in a while to prevent overtraining of the CNS.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well i forgot to load up on carbs before hitting the gym but still manged a good workout. had a sample of vaso charge and wow. veins were everywhere and even got a pump in my calves(it was upper body workout today)

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
took a good look at my leg size today and relize i need to work them more. i have lost alot of excess fat on my legs but they just look flat. i will follow a more traditional WS routine:
monday: me bench
tuesday: me squat
thursday: re bench
friday: re squat

since losing some weight i need to put some more size on the wheels and 1 squat day/ wk isnt cutting it. think ill add in some leg ext as they have always done well with me.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
why do you have two ME days back to back? It would make sense IMO, as well as fit in better with the original WS4SB routine, if you separated them as much as possible.

I rotated my days a little bit, as I hated doing ME lower body on friday per the routine.

monday: ME lower
tuesday: DE/rep upper
Thur: DE lower
Fri: ME upper

for lower body, I am currently concentrating on box squats and good mornings. I'm really working on getting my squat to respectable numbers, as it is by far my weakest lift right now.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
since im really not up to my peak performance capacity im not worried about putting a ME Bench and ME Squat, back too back.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
its not prefered but for scheduling reasons i run my ME days back to back as well. off, ME bench, ME squat, off, DE Bench, DE squat.

It is challenging at first but i have found that it is workable.