Body Fat Percentage ??? ......////////..////..////////..........

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.38%

Red face Body Fat Percentage

hey guys can someone tell me how to find out my body fat percentage ... im new to this thing i been bulking , havnt started shredding

thanks
    Last edited by asianbabe; 12-19-2007 at 12:14 AM.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.37%

they have a little thing that pinches your skin it looks like a caliper of some kind. i would imagine going to the doctors or a gym, somone should have the tool you need.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.54%

Quote Originally Posted by FM2K GT View Post
    they have a little thing that pinches your skin it looks like a caliper of some kind. i would imagine going to the doctors or a gym, somone should have the tool you need.
    Yeah it's a skin fold caliper. You take measurements behind your arm at the upper triceps and also at the inside upper calf below the knee. You pinch the excess skin and fat, not any muscle. Then there's a chart to look up the numbers along with your own height and weight.

The also an electric impedance device. I'm not too sure how accurate those are. I think the most accurate method is water displacement.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.24%

Quote Originally Posted by jsheely View Post
    Yeah it's a skin fold caliper. You take measurements behind your arm at the upper triceps and also at the inside upper calf below the knee. You pinch the excess skin and fat, not any muscle. Then there's a chart to look up the numbers along with your own height and weight.

The also an electric impedance device. I'm not too sure how accurate those are. I think the most accurate method is water displacement.
    Water Displacement...err what he said.
  5. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.41%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Ramo machine View Post
    hey guys can someone tell me how to find out my body fat percentage ... im new to this thing i been bulking , havnt started shredding
    Underwater weighing is the gold standard for measuring body composition. However, it is very expensive.

Skinfolds is the next best thing (a measurement error of only up to 3-4%, depending on the skill of the anthropometrist), so long as they're taken by a QUALIFIED anthropometrist (i.e. ISAK) and a MINIMUM of 6 are taken. If they actually make markers on you and measure out the skinfold positions, then they're on the right track; if they just take a skinfold with no preparation for it at all or only take one, then your result will be as inaccurate as BIA methods.

You CAN use bioelectrical impedance scales or handheld devices, but these are the most INaccurate ways of measuring body composition, as they have a huge measurement of error and can be out by up to 10% BF! The reading can be affected by too many factors, the most important being your hydration level (since it sends an elctric current either through you lower body (scales) or through one side of your body (handheld), usually the right side), time of day, when you last ate, when you last trained, etc.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.77%

water displacement is most accurate but is also the most complex method. It is typically done in health facility. You go in totally submerged and the amount of water displaced is determined.

I like the bioimpedance method using either the sensor placed on the upper arm or sticky pads one on foot one on arm. Typically a good personal trainer will have this tool. Its an expensive piece. Stay clear of the cheap ones at the drug stores where you hold onto handels or the ones built into scales where your bare feet are used because these are not accurate.

These two techniques are measureing the densities of muscle bone water and fat. The more dense materials (bone/muscle) are sorted out the water is conductive (and hevyer) and then the fat is calculated (I think thats how it functions)

Skin calipers are most easy and useful, however the percent error can be high due to the human error. must use the same location and make multiple measurements to get an approximation.

You could try any or all of these because once you have a starting point you can track measurements to determine if its getting higher or lower.

remember that fat is a layer (and also woven in between the muscles and organs) which cannot be turned into muscle. think of it like a wet suit because it covers all parts of the body and when you loose it your loosing it all over. The belly is usually the last place it is lost. Spot reduction is a debatable subject.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

www.bodpod.com

These work very well also and it costs $25.

Similar Forum Threads

1. What is the Optimal Body Fat Percentage for Testosterone?
    By Z28Luver7777 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
  2. how do YOU measure body fat percentage?
    By soontobbeast in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 09:59 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM
  4. question about body fat percentages
    By Brendan3600 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 11:57 PM