Need Critique on my Training plan

The Anarchist

Awards
Well I'm a newcomer to lifting, I'm 6'1, 145 lbs right now, I'm planning to get to 160 by spring.

I'm getting a membership at a gym tomorrow and planning on doing:

Monday: Cardio (20 minutes on the treadmill, 7 mph)
Tuesday: lift (arms)
Wednesday: Cardio (treadmill)
Thursday: lift (shoulders and back)
Friday: Cardio (treadmill)
Saturday: lift (arms)
Sunday: rest

First off, is that too much or too light for someone like me?
2nd, I don't really know specifically what type of workout I should be doing

ex; I don't know what machines to use, like I have no idea what a "Barbell row" is, etc from workouts logs posted on this site.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Well I'm a newcomer to lifting, I'm 6'1, 145 lbs right now, I'm planning to get to 160 by spring.

I'm getting a membership at a gym tomorrow and planning on doing:

Monday: Cardio (20 minutes on the treadmill, 7 mph)
Tuesday: lift (arms)
Wednesday: Cardio (treadmill)
Thursday: lift (shoulders and back)
Friday: Cardio (treadmill)
Saturday: lift (arms)
Sunday: rest

First off, is that too much or too light for someone like me?
2nd, I don't really know specifically what type of workout I should be doing

ex; I don't know what machines to use, like I have no idea what a "Barbell row" is, etc from workouts logs posted on this site.
I recommend a personal trainer. A good gym should have some knowledgeable trainers on staff that can teach you the basics. You want to focus on compound movements and the big muscle groups ie legs, back and chest.

The Anarchist

Awards
The thing is, I'm a Freshman at college, don't have the money or time to get that serious into it.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
The thing is, I'm a Freshman at college, don't have the money or time to get that serious into it.
I am the sole provider for my wife and four children. You think I have time or money? lol

A gym membership typically will include a couple of sessions with a trainer. If you don't even know what a barbell row is ...
you really need someone with you showing you how to do this. IMO

bigrabbit

Awards
i am just about into my final year of high school (final year feb 08-nov 08) and time and money are often not on my side, but this year i have worked hard and even in the times when i lacked time and money i still made some pretty good gains, so just keep at it no matter how hard the times get... i noticed you dont do any leg workouts (other than cardio) and chest... you need to work every single part... but yes go and see a personal trainer...