Tricep help.....

pman

pman

Awards
What are good tricep exercises that build the back of them to where they stick out the back and not width???

Flexo

Awards
How your muscles grow is really dependent on your genetics. And since muscles can only do two things - get bigger or get smaller - you really don't have a lot of say in how the shape.

And you can't really isolate any specific head of the triceps without involving the other two.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
What are good tricep exercises that build the back of them to where they stick out the back and not width???
The triceps brachii (back of upper arm) which is responsible for extending the arm at the elbow is hit directly and effectly with:
Reverse-Grip Bench Press.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh god my wrists hurt just looking at that!!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i say reverse grip pushdowns,with a not very heavy weight.........rep it till it burns then repeat.(keeping a wider than shoulders grip)

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
i say reverse grip pushdowns,with a not very heavy weight.........rep it till it burns then repeat.(keeping a wider than shoulders grip)
The other day someone told me Dave Draper's favorite tricep exercise was tricep pushdowns but he did them behind his back. Someone would help pull the bar down and then he'd do them in a way that simulated between bench dips.

I can not imagine getting much out of them but he said he could do more weight that way. I'm not recommending them at all...it is just one of those unique exercises I recently came across.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The other day someone told me Dave Draper's favorite tricep exercise was tricep pushdowns but he did them behind his back. Someone would help pull the bar down and then he'd do them in a way that simulated between bench dips.

I can not imagine getting much out of them but he said he could do more weight that way. I'm not recommending them at all...it is just one of those unique exercises I recently came across.
:think: that's a new one.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That pic is like a 4 board reverse grip bench press. I do them without the boards.....or belt for that matter.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Looks like a good way to lose teeth too!

X
Actually there isn't much strain on the wrist (less than the close grip bench) and you don't take a thumbless grip so there is no risk of slipping. One could always do these in the Smythe machine.

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
How would that even be preformed without hitting yourself???
:frustrate

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Actually there isn't much strain on the wrist (less than the close grip bench) and you don't take a thumbless grip so there is no risk of slipping. One could always do these in the Smythe machine.
I might give it a try in my rack tonight.
:think:

What do you think the appropriate starting load is based off of your 'regular' close grip bench? 60%? 80%

X

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i used to do a lot of reverse grip and actually got pretty good at it, but i have had a lot of confusion about what it actually works. i have heard tris, lats, and lower pecs (i think)

definitely do not try it without a spotter

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can always do a smythe mchin. ive tryed these and do them Widegrip btw, less stress on wrist.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
My favorite Tri lifts are Kickbacks, Close-Grip Bench Press, Skull Crushers, and Reverse Bench Press if I have a spotter.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
My favorite Tri lifts are Kickbacks...
A lot of people make fun of kickbacks but the great Larry Scott did them w/ a barbell instead of a dumbell. He claimed it was a great exercise for tris.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
I love rev grip bench presses. I will only do them on the smith machine as others noted. Great power and mass builder for the triceps. I feel them more in my tri than close grip bench which seems to put more strain on my wrists.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
A lot of people make fun of kickbacks but the great Larry Scott did them w/ a barbell instead of a dumbell. He claimed it was a great exercise for tris.
Hm..that sounds intresting. I might try that out.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use the overhead dumbell extensions as a staple for tricep exercises.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Whatever you arent doing right now!

If your doing dips, skullcrushers and CGBP try extensions, kickbacks and reverse grip.

Vice versa ...

change it up to induce growth!

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I've always found these hard to start with a heavily loaded bar without a spotter to lift the BB into position. Any pointers for doing these solo...?

To the OP, heavily weighted dips and very heavy deads and rackpulls.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
I've always found these hard to start with a heavily loaded bar without a spotter to lift the BB into position. Any pointers for doing these solo...?
Change the height of the lift off pins on the bench press to the most advantageous level for you.

Or do them in a Smythe machine and set the bar unlocked on the stops and start the first press from the bottom.

Pre-exhaust the triceps first so you use less weight.

ftchef

Awards
I agree with db tricep kickbacks, great developer if done correctly, and not to "impress" your gym buddies. Strict form is what makes these "pop" the triceps....not huge weight, it's more of the squeeze and hold at the top of the movement that really works.

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
renegade is rite you have to switch it up
i have a similar problem, the long head of my tris are not very pronounced. lately my routine to fix this has looked something like this

scull crushers laying on an incline bench
dips
straitbar or reverse grip pressdowns
then burn it out with over head dumbbell extensions

but keep it mixed up like order, variation, volume, rep/set range

good luck

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
YES!!!!!!!!

Finally, someone who agrees with me, and doesn't think I'm weird for doing RGCG's.
The triceps brachii (back of upper arm) which is responsible for extending the arm at the elbow is hit directly and effectly with:
Another good one is the french press (with EZ bar). I prefer it to the skull crusher because it delivers the MOST AMAZING stretch at the relaxed position.

comacho

comacho

Awards
  • Established
dont rely on smith press,

if you cant do free form, then maybe you need to work on stabilizers otherwise you will risk injury in the future.

hey im not saying you guys that use smith are lesser than me or anything, no insult here. Just my opinion.

anyways, rev bench is great, just start light and slow so you get used to it, it will feel like you are benching for the first time if you have never done it (wiggling and unstable) so go light and slow. concentrate on your tri's less of chest thats why some people use power racks to do only top half of the movement.

you will only drop it on your face if you are a tard LOL

T-mag i think had an article about the Barbarian brothers from the 80's (movie actors and bodybuilders) used incline rev bench,

just play around, some tri exercises are better when performed heavy some are better light.

also try weighted dips, not bench dips, with belt chain or db between your feet

tattoopierced1

no clue what they are called, but i like putting a D connection on the cable machine and pulling down on it with a reverse grip, movement only at the elbow. Hard to explain, but they work wonders. Its basically like a reverse curl on the cable machine, instead of curling up, you are pressing down.

vision

How come no one has mentioned JM Press? I also like bench dips, as much as I like regular Tricep Dips they place too much pressure on my shoulders.