Medical Student in need of workout plan...

MedManDO

Awards
Hey guys, i looking for some opinions on a workout routine to maximize my gains. Being in medical school, i don't have that much time available through the week so my main workout days are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I also try to find one other random day a week when i could devote 1-2 hours to the gym. So with that i usually work out 3-4 days a week....This being my routine:

Friday:
Shoulders (5 different workouts doing 3 sets of 10)
Legs (5 different workouts doing 3 sets of 10)

Saturday:
Chest (5 different workouts doing 3 sets of 10)
Back (5 different workouts doing 3 sets of 10)

Sunday:
Biceps (5 different workouts doing 3 sets of 10)
Triceps (5 different workouts doing 3 sets of 10)

Random 4th day:
Try to hit every muscle group doing 1 workout of 3 sets of 10 for each muscle group. This is sort of a wrap-up day.

So i'm asking the gurus out there to critique this routine and give me any advice on any changes i could make to make it more effective in maximizing my gains. The only thing that i cannot change is the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday must be my primary workout days.

Thanks in advance! :bb3:

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Try a HIT routine if time is limited. Believe me I know just how limited time is in med school

MedManDO

Awards
Not familiar with that....

What exactly is the HIT routine ?

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Mike Mentzer's HIT routine. High Intensity very low volume

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
HIT = High Intensity Training.

If you're looking to save time a split routine is a bit dopey. Doing a simple 5x5 routine (link to an explanation is in my sig), or some other variation of a full body routine would be the best option in my opinion. A half hour to forty minutes three times a week and you're done.

MedManDO

Awards
Need more help....

To any of you guys who are willing, i would really appreciate it if you could outline a three day routine for me (has to be friday-saturday-sunday), in detail. I would appreciate it if you could provide me with info on what muscles to hit, how many sets, how many reps, and how many different exercises to do per muscle group for each one of these three days. My goal is to bulk up and build muscle.

Thanks again fellas, i really appreciate all your help and input

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know you are busy and don't have much time, but asking for someone to write up a routine is not going to help you learn to do it yourself.

HIT is a good routine for your schedule, so I would start there and read up on how to create a routine. Make sure to base your workout around compound lifts such as, bench, squat, and dead lifts. If you can get those lifts in every week with adequate work then you really don't need too much more to have a complete program.