20 rep squat

1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10%

20 rep squat

Anyone done a 20rep squat routine? I was lookin into it and wanted to see if anyone had impressive gains off of it, Its obvious leg training is a staple if you want to grow, either 20rep, a normal routine, or whatever... I even heard charles poliquin has people train legs like 3-5 times a week!

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Most reference it as a "widow maker" I do 20 for warm up, then 12 then 10. along with other leg work.
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.37%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Talk about a cardiovascular assault.

I've tried them before, they will leave u breathless!
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

i use them for my last set during quad training. They are pretty tough!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.47%

I prefer to do three to four drop sets as a part of my last set of squats... depending upon how frisky I'm feeling (and how many rpm's I popped, lol) it will look something like 405 x 10, 315 x 12, 275 x 12, 225 x 15, 135 x 20. It's tough to keep the rest periods between drop sets to 5 seconds without a spot so it's usually close to a 10 second 'rest' period while I scurry about stripping plates and getting set back up for more, but I find that this is an excellent way to get an honest pump going early in a leg workout.
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
    I prefer to do three to four drop sets as a part of my last set of squats... depending upon how frisky I'm feeling (and how many rpm's I popped, lol) it will look something like 405 x 10, 315 x 12, 275 x 12, 225 x 15, 135 x 20. It's tough to keep the rest periods between drop sets to 5 seconds without a spot so it's usually close to a 10 second 'rest' period while I scurry about stripping plates and getting set back up for more, but I find that this is an excellent way to get an honest pump going early in a leg workout.
    damn your fast With a guy on each side pulling a plate as soon as its racked, unracking and walking back out takes me more that 10seconds from end of one set to start of next.
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

I think the best results I ever got was with 20 rep squats. I did a drop set of 20's one time, 10 seconds rest between sets with 415, 325, and 235 - it was a killer
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.57%

Damn bro thats intense hopefully one day I can hit some 20 rep squats with that weight.Mark
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

Quote Originally Posted by MEH89 View Post
    Damn bro thats intense hopefully one day I can hit some 20 rep squats with that weight.Mark
    Hell, I wish I could still do it! It was about 3 1/2 years ago and I was loaded.
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.57%

try a 20x5, 100 rep squat workout sometime.......ouch.

I like to throw these in alot when I am cutting, it really etches in some detail into your legs, along with being a semi-cardio workout on top of it.
  11. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

leg workouts can be by far the most intense workouts, got me seeing stars today lol.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.19%

but its good stars! and I personally feel pretty high afterwards....legs- my favorite excercise - This 20 rep thing sounds pretty interesting - anyone want to detail what this would look like or link to a site that does?
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.32%

:squat: 20 times....haha j/k man.
    Most of the time it is at the beging as a warm up or the end if your a bit crazy. If you put it at the end thouhg i would say do'nt go to extreme in previous sets...20 is tough going heavy and you don't want to cheat it or your wastin your time.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.19%

Quote Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
    :squat: 20 times....haha j/k man.
    Most of the time it is at the beging as a warm up or the end if your a bit crazy. If you put it at the end thouhg i would say do'nt go to extreme in previous sets...20 is tough going heavy and you don't want to cheat it or your wastin your time.
    haha....thx bro. May give this a shot today for warmup. It will sure scare the sheite out of the old ladies and the curl bar whores at my gym. I have only seen 2 other people in the entire gym use the "real" olympic type squat rack lol....
  15. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.51%

I loved 20 rep squats - the only time I ever actually passed out working out LOL
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    I loved 20 rep squats - the only time I ever actually passed out working out LOL
    Good passing out I take it?
  17. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.51%

Quote Originally Posted by brywal312 View Post
    Good passing out I take it?
    It was after I had re-racked the weight, so it was damn good LOL. Could have went really badly for me otherwise
  18. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.32%

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    It was after I had re-racked the weight, so it was damn good LOL. Could have went really badly for me otherwise

Thats called fogettin to breath. Or a bad idea works too. I don't know why people are proud of passing out n crap. Throwing up i can see. ou can die when you pass out for obvious reason in this situation. Lack of oxygen...usually not good.
  19. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.51%

Thats called fogettin to breath. Or a bad idea works too. I don't know why people are proud of passing out n crap. Throwing up i can see. ou can die when you pass out for obvious reason in this situation. Lack of oxygen...usually not good.
    I'm not proud at all, I had added some extra weight and definitely didn't breath well, but I had also taken some r-ala inadvertently so it very well could have been low blood sugar?
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.19%

nah bro, throwing up is a waste of good groceries..... passing out can feel very nice at times.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.65%

Quote Originally Posted by brywal312 View Post
    but its good stars! and I personally feel pretty high afterwards....legs- my favorite excercise - This 20 rep thing sounds pretty interesting - anyone want to detail what this would look like or link to a site that does?

I think this guy is talking about "20s"... this is where you load the bar with your normal 10 RM weight and crank out 20 (actually it's more like a slow death) regardless of how long it takes. You just stay under the weight. Let me tell you, you'll wish you were dead when you're done with just one of these.. and that's all you can do. I used to do these back in my PLing days to get over the hump and it works like a champ. My best was 605 and it took almost 10 minutes... 8 of which were just getting thru the last 8 reps. After that I sat down on a bench and nearly passed out.

I hate you for making me remember this.
  22. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.51%

Quote Originally Posted by BigAsTheSky View Post
    I think this guy is talking about "20s"... this is where you load the bar with your normal 10 RM weight and crank out 20 (actually it's more like a slow death) regardless of how long it takes. You just stay under the weight. Let me tell you, you'll wish you were dead when you're done with just one of these.. and that's all you can do. I used to do these back in my PLing days to get over the hump and it works like a champ. My best was 605 and it took almost 10 minutes... 8 of which were just getting thru the last 8 reps. After that I sat down on a bench and nearly passed out.

I hate you for making me remember this.
    this is what I was talking about.
  23. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.32%

haha nice guys. Yea throwing up is a waste of nutrients. I almost did when i did interval sprints the other day but rememebred i had Incarnate in me snd din't want to loose it... haha Be easy guys.

605! Crazy MF'er.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.19%

yeh, got a hold of some bad chicken the other day and lost my Superdrol......FAAAACK
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.52%

For awhile i was doing 12 sets of 20 reps haha

Nearly had a heart attack though
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.54%

I did a variation on 20 rep squat a couple of years ago. 2 times a week I would do the 20 rep squat routine and eventually worked up to about 275 for 20. The workout between I would do a workout I found called Primitive Progressive Pulls where it started with a few sets of cleans, followes by high pulls, deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, bent-over rows, pullups and than chinups. It was pretty rough and probably not ideal. I wasn't as strong as I am now either and so it was easier to recover with the weights I was using at that time, than if I attempted the same thing now.
  27. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I incorporate some GVT principles into my leg training. I like to do 10 sets of 10 on the squat rack, pushing myself as hard as I possible can, with just enough rest to let my training partner do his set between mine. After this I do 5 or so slow concentrated sets of leg curls to isolate the teardrop (which I'm trying to improve) and call it a day. The next few days my glutes, hams, abductors, aductors, and all of the quad is sore. I isolate hams on a different day.

I must say it has worked the best so far. I have tried all the machine\isolation work, and incorporating alot of different exercises into my leg routines and have never gotten the same results

Keep in mind: don't do this routine week after week, switch it up and do a lighter week here and there
  28. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.66%

I love 20 rep squats.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 10 week 20 rep squat workout
    By BigKrabbe in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
  2. 20 rep squats
    By nightshift in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 11:38 PM
  3. 20 Rep Squats, who's still doing them?
    By max silver in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 02:38 AM
  4. 20 rep squat question
    By littlemark in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 02:51 PM
  5. 20 Rep Squat Variations
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 12:01 AM