am i over training?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25%

am i over training?

Ive just started back to the gym after a long time here is my routine, 4 set of 4-10 reps each, wo on my lunch.

monday/thursday- Chest & front shoulders: Dips, Flys, Decline PU, shoulder press

Tuesday/Friday- Back & Rear shoulders: Chins, inverted rows, Upright rows, shrugs, d bell laterals

wed/sat- Legs- Dead lifts, squats, lunges.

I would like to add tris to the chest day, but in the evening and bi's on back day in the evening. I would appreciate any criticism you may have.

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

So you hit all of those twice a week already?

If that's the case, forget ADDING in bi's and tri's on some of those days, and totally drop one of the bodyparts in favor of bi's and tri's on a certain day.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.54%

on a 2nd look I don't think I would separate rear shoulders and front shoulders on different days either.

And I personally wouldn't do deads and squats on the same day, theres no way you have enough gas in the tank to do both effectively.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25%

the logic behind separating front and rear shoulders is that they get quite a bit of work in the Chest/ back work out. I didnt wnat to give them their own workout on top of that. Maybe I should removethem from the chest and back workouts and do them on my leg day?
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.54%

Quote Originally Posted by hellohendo View Post
    the logic behind separating front and rear shoulders is that they get quite a bit of work in the Chest/ back work out. I didnt wnat to give them their own workout on top of that. Maybe I should removethem from the chest and back workouts and do them on my leg day?
    Unless you are using a form i'm not aware of your rear delts don't get that much work on chest day, maybe on back day, but definitely not on chest day. That's why so many people will prioritize rear delts in there workouts, because there an often neglected muscle group. You will see guys do them at the START of there shoulder workouts to work them when there the freshest. If anything you should drop the FRONT delts because those are what get worked the most on chest day, especially if you're a narrower grip bencher, or just don't do alot of chest isolation movements.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    Unless you are using a form i'm not aware of your rear delts don't get that much work on chest day, maybe on back day, but definitely not on chest day. That's why so many people will prioritize rear delts in there workouts, because there an often neglected muscle group. You will see guys do them at the START of there shoulder workouts to work them when there the freshest. If anything you should drop the FRONT delts because those are what get worked the most on chest day, especially if you're a narrower grip bencher, or just don't do alot of chest isolation movements.
    thats a good point. Im going to reorganize my schedule and have shoulders on its own day. Its the front delts that Im worried about overtraining. the shoulder stuff Im doing has been:
    military press, upright rows, shrugs, and dumbell laterals. right now im focused on building mass over definition.would you say thats a good choice of exercises for shoulder day?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.84%

if you are hitting each body part 2x per week youare probably over training. Cut back to 1x per wek sna d up your training intensity.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25%

Quote Originally Posted by phil216 View Post
    if you are hitting each body part 2x per week youare probably over training. Cut back to 1x per wek sna d up your training intensity.
    i thought after 72 hours a muscle is ready to be trained again. was I wrong?

Similar Forum Threads

1. over training questions?? am i over training
    By jceabuca in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 09:28 PM
  2. Am I over training?
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
  3. Am I over training?
    By powerhouse21 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 09:23 PM
  4. Am I over-training or am I just weak?
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 10:27 PM
  5. Am I Over Training?
    By Unbreakable in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2003, 01:02 AM