am i over training?

hellohendo

Awards
Ive just started back to the gym after a long time here is my routine, 4 set of 4-10 reps each, wo on my lunch.

monday/thursday- Chest & front shoulders: Dips, Flys, Decline PU, shoulder press

Tuesday/Friday- Back & Rear shoulders: Chins, inverted rows, Upright rows, shrugs, d bell laterals

wed/sat- Legs- Dead lifts, squats, lunges.

I would like to add tris to the chest day, but in the evening and bi's on back day in the evening. I would appreciate any criticism you may have.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
So you hit all of those twice a week already?

If that's the case, forget ADDING in bi's and tri's on some of those days, and totally drop one of the bodyparts in favor of bi's and tri's on a certain day.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
on a 2nd look I don't think I would separate rear shoulders and front shoulders on different days either.

And I personally wouldn't do deads and squats on the same day, theres no way you have enough gas in the tank to do both effectively.

hellohendo

Awards
the logic behind separating front and rear shoulders is that they get quite a bit of work in the Chest/ back work out. I didnt wnat to give them their own workout on top of that. Maybe I should removethem from the chest and back workouts and do them on my leg day?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
the logic behind separating front and rear shoulders is that they get quite a bit of work in the Chest/ back work out. I didnt wnat to give them their own workout on top of that. Maybe I should removethem from the chest and back workouts and do them on my leg day?
Unless you are using a form i'm not aware of your rear delts don't get that much work on chest day, maybe on back day, but definitely not on chest day. That's why so many people will prioritize rear delts in there workouts, because there an often neglected muscle group. You will see guys do them at the START of there shoulder workouts to work them when there the freshest. If anything you should drop the FRONT delts because those are what get worked the most on chest day, especially if you're a narrower grip bencher, or just don't do alot of chest isolation movements.

hellohendo

Awards
Unless you are using a form i'm not aware of your rear delts don't get that much work on chest day, maybe on back day, but definitely not on chest day. That's why so many people will prioritize rear delts in there workouts, because there an often neglected muscle group. You will see guys do them at the START of there shoulder workouts to work them when there the freshest. If anything you should drop the FRONT delts because those are what get worked the most on chest day, especially if you're a narrower grip bencher, or just don't do alot of chest isolation movements.
thats a good point. Im going to reorganize my schedule and have shoulders on its own day. Its the front delts that Im worried about overtraining. the shoulder stuff Im doing has been:
military press, upright rows, shrugs, and dumbell laterals. right now im focused on building mass over definition.would you say thats a good choice of exercises for shoulder day?

phil216

Awards
  • Established
if you are hitting each body part 2x per week youare probably over training. Cut back to 1x per wek sna d up your training intensity.

hellohendo

Awards
if you are hitting each body part 2x per week youare probably over training. Cut back to 1x per wek sna d up your training intensity.
i thought after 72 hours a muscle is ready to be trained again. was I wrong?