My First Workout Routine. Comments / Criticism appreciated

1. Registered User
    Answers

My First Workout Routine. Comments / Criticism appreciated

Hey. This is going to be my first workout routine as ive never really trained before. Im 17, 5'9 and 140 lbs with a pretty thin build. I use the equipment in my basement and my routine is a 3 day split :

Monday - Workout Day
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednsday - Workout Day
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Workoutday
    Sat/Sun - Rest

My workout is focused on chest, biceps, triceps and abs.
    My workout is 3 sets of 5 exercises (1 basic set, 2 sets to failure). I rlly need to get some more equipment but this is what im working with now:

Benchpress
    Barbell (Front curls, Rear Lifts)
    Sit ups (Definitly need something else for the abs..any suggestions?)
    Push ups

Do you guys think this is gonna work? any comments / criticism are welcome.

also on a side note, when training wats the differnece between doing curls with dumbells compared to a barbells

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

what about shoulders legs and back? what you got isnt a bad start, but a good workout program hits every major group. start out light though... at your stage try to get btwn 12 and 15 reps with each set, focusing on slow, concentrated movements w proper form.

start off small. for ex, with chest start off doing light dumbbell presses to begin training your stabilizer muscles to handle heavier weights. go mayb 15, 20 lbs, whatever you can handle for a lot of reps. bring the weights down slowly til your elbows are 90 degrees, then slowly bring the weights back up to the starting position. focus on flat bench, then dumbbell inclines with a slight inclined position, followed up with some flat dumbbell flyes. i wouldn't jump to the barbell just yet.

as for arms, concentration curls w the dumbbells will do it for biceps. do those with some light hammer curls and maybe some preacher curls. again, dumbbell work. for triceps do dumbbell extensions, french presses w the dumbbell and pushdowns on a cable machine.

for shoulders try light shoudler presses with the dumbbells, followed up with lateral raises and /or front raises.

back try dumbbell rows and pull downs. legs --- leg ext, bodyweight squats, dumbbell squats, squats w the bar.

it's important to work every muscle group equally, regardless of what stage you're at. otherwise you'll grow to be unproportional and you'll have a hard time training your body. remember, different muscle groups support one another. your bench will target not simply your chest, but your triceps and shoudlers and back as well. so by training your arms and back you'll also help improve your bench.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jegs66 View Post
    also on a side note, when training wats the differnece between doing curls with dumbells compared to a barbells
    dumbbells are good for stability. you can control your range of motion even more using dumbbells and focus on training form. they'll also help shape and define your muscles. using the straight barbell (ex. for bicep curls) will help add more mass to your arms, rather than shape.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

you've gotten some good advice from beebab. I just wanted to add that the majority of your routine should be comprised of compound lifts. Compound lifts involve the movement of 2 or more joints - they are the mass builders.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. do what the video tells u to do on the link i sent u... took me 1 month to get abs that kinda show : D
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  164 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by flamingsoulz View Post
    YouTube - 8 min abs workout do what the video tells u to do on the link i sent u... took me 1 month to get abs that kinda show : D
    That video worked for you? If it did, I am going to be doing that then. I knew that video has something about it.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Answers

For abs all I do is put 3 10lb DB plates behind my head and do crunches 3 days a week. 4 sets of 20. takes about 6-7 minutes. One day I will do regular crunches and the next day right side then left side.... If you have low body fat, they will show.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jegs66 View Post
    Hey. This is going to be my first workout routine as ive never really trained before. Im 17, 5'9 and 140 lbs with a pretty thin build. I use the equipment in my basement and my routine is a 3 day split :

Monday - Workout Day
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednsday - Workout Day
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Workoutday
    Sat/Sun - Rest

My workout is focused on chest, biceps, triceps and abs.
    My workout is 3 sets of 5 exercises (1 basic set, 2 sets to failure). I rlly need to get some more equipment but this is what im working with now:

Benchpress
    Barbell (Front curls, Rear Lifts)
    Sit ups (Definitly need something else for the abs..any suggestions?)
    Push ups

Do you guys think this is gonna work? any comments / criticism are welcome.

If I were going to do a 3-day split I'd make sure I was doing heavy compound lifts like bench presses, squats, and deadlifts. Maybe you could center each workout around those lifts...

Monday - Pull (Back/Biceps --> Deadlifts, ect..
    Tuesday - Off
    Wednesday - Push (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps --> Bench Press
    Thursday - Off
    Friday - Legs (Squats)
    Saturday/Sunday - Off

Of course on the workout days you'd be doing more than just bench press, squats, and deadlifts, but make those lifts the first lift for the workout so you can utilize your energy well. In a training regimen nothing stimulates overall strength and size gains like squats and deadlifts. Maybe do between 6-9 sets per large muscle group, and 3-4 sets per smaller muscle group. As far as reps go I'd do something like 4-6, 5-7, or 6-8. I usually try to hit 6 reps every set.

Anyway, if you're interested just ask and I'll give you some suggestions for exercises you could do on workout days. This is what I'll be doing all through this semester because my Tuesdays and Thursdays are booked, so a 3-day split makes the most sense.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. My routine.. Comments/suggestions appreciated
    By SouthernCharm in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 10:31 AM
  2. my current workout routine
    By halflife3 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
  3. My proposed workout Routine(HardGainer)
    By legaljuicer in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 11:47 PM
  4. Starting my first PH cycle - comments wanted
    By theSCHICK in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 02:44 PM