Training technique for mass

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys thinks the best training technique for mass. By this I mean...negatives, rest-pause, supers, etc.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
6-8 reps, 5 sets. 4-5 exercises. Mostly compounds with slow controlled form. I dont suggest super sets, burns lots of energy, and wont allow you to lift as much for your next set. short rest period 45 secs- 1 min, keep the balloons full of air!!!

smalls556

smalls556

Awards
i think it depends, i gave used alot of different techniques to build mass, i change it every once in a while to keep them muscles guessing, i do love the pre- exaustion method though (super-set you do leg curls to failure before doing your squats so your weaker glutes can keep going as your stronger quads are starting to quit so that your quads are getting a full workout)

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
6-8 reps, 5 sets. 4-5 exercises. Mostly compounds with slow controlled form. I dont suggest super sets, burns lots of energy, and wont allow you to lift as much for your next set. short rest period 45 secs- 1 min, keep the balloons full of air!!!
yeah I agree with that, but your body gets accustomed very quickly to that. I have come up with a long term routine, with the objective of keeping your body confused the whole time, thus promoting growth. It would go something like this. take a 1-2 week break from the gym, fully recoup. Now I am not going into the excercise detail, just the principality of laying out a routine to shock the muscles.

weeks 1-3
Now we hit the weights hard and heavy with a 5x5 routine for 3 weeks. This routine is primarily for strength, for me atleast. Getting the best bang for buck out your muscles.

weeks 4-6
High volume training. Lift about 60% of your 1RM for reps of 10-14 reps@ 4 sets.

week 7 OFF

week 8 - Negative training.

Some people find doing negatives dangerous especially without a spotter, although if you utilize the machines they are very possible and safe to do.

week 9-10 Rest-pause

This should blast you through any plateus you may have.

If it worked well, then rinse and repeat.

And that's it. I still hold true to the if its not broken dont fix it mentality... so if say 5x5 is giving you gains going into week 3 then stick with it. This routine is to not allow your body get close to becoming accustomed with a routine.