still sore

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
hey guys

i just now started doing a 'proper' workout routine, designed myself my 3 day split, which started on monday, its tueday and im just wondering...

my routine looks like this

mondays - chest / triceps
tuesday - rest
wednesday - legs / shoulders
thursdays - rest
friday - back and biceps
sat/sun - rest

when not sore or when i can i do abs and wrists, each body part i do 3 exercises of 3 sets about 6 reps

what im wondering is, i started yesterday with my chest and tricep workout, its tuesday night now and my triceps are still sore, probably will be tomorrow, im wondering how you other guys do these 3 day splits which seem so popular? do i still go tomorrow and do my shoulders if im a tiny bit sore or what? should i wait?

like my triceps will be in use but not primarily but still i wonder should i do them?

im kinda thinking maybe, change my bicep workout with my shoulder workout?

ie wedneday - biceps / legs (can really focus on biceps theyre small atm)

then fridays - shoulders and back ?

tell me what u think guys, thanks

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
yeah you could switch it up. shoulders and back can work great especially for hitting those rear delts. it all depends on how YOU feel the day of. if you feel like you're still too sore to push out 110% then i wouldn't work that part. and make sure you're eating your ass off when you are sore. thats when you'll be rebuilding those muscles baby! good luck my man

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
yeah im most likely going to put triceps/biceps on the same day on friday, and my chest/back/shoulders will go throughout monday and wednesday, i might put my legs on a seperate day all together, i had my shoulder/leg workout yesterday it took me 2.5hrs but thats probably coz i brought a friend along, so ill see how i am with time let myself settle down into the routine etc

my food intake has doubled over the last week and i dont feel full, its like its being "absorbed" by my body, im farting like crazy too from the protein shakes after my workouts and then the meats i eat n other stuff

only time will tell

cant wait

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
yeah im most likely going to put triceps/biceps on the same day on friday, and my chest/back/shoulders will go throughout monday and wednesday, i might put my legs on a seperate day all together, i had my shoulder/leg workout yesterday it took me 2.5hrs but thats probably coz i brought a friend along, so ill see how i am with time let myself settle down into the routine etc

my food intake has doubled over the last week and i dont feel full, its like its being "absorbed" by my body, im farting like crazy too from the protein shakes after my workouts and then the meats i eat n other stuff

only time will tell

cant wait
basically your body is doing exactly what you say, 'absorbing' what you eat. its fuel for your body. most important thing about lifting is your diet and training as i'm sure you've probably heard time and time again. one thing i noticed is how long you worked out the other day. you should never be in the gym for longer than an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. an hour and a half is pushing it to the MAX even on leg day. but 2.5 hours? damn bro, i wouldn't bring a friend with you anymore!! or if you do, talk in between sets but not for longer than a minute or two or better yet, put in some headphones and just use eachother for a spot when needed if the talking is getting in the way. you should've been in there for half that time. but you'll find out everything with time as we all do. just take my advice and shorten that up a bit. remember that more is not always better especially when lifting. good luck gaining them pounds

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
yeah usually im in there for about 60-90mins max im assuming that was cause of my mate being there we took our time thats the only problem

ill see how i go next wednesday with my shoulder/leg workout, if its slow on my own again ill just go 4 days a week and move legs to another day on its own

only downside to that is i take protein shakes on days i workout before and after my workout, if i go an extra day its going to cost me more $$$ :(

jlowsho

Awards
Muscle soreness is in no way indicative to ANYTHING. Just because your muscles get sore from working them insensly just means there is lactic acid built up in them. Due to a demand of oxygen from the muscle that isn't being supplied. Working a body part while being sore WILL NOT hinder recover or performance and soreness IS NOT indicative of recovery status.

Gym rats all over america are going to disagree with me, but there you have it. Your giving yourself 4 off days a week which is smart. Not considering your rep/rest/exercise scheme it's a good set up. Don't let soreness hinder your workouts. Your body will adapt by being able to recover faster - which is good.

Faster recovery = more time utilized to grow.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Yep, I would train through too. Your not even primarily using those muscles on your next workout. Unless its a full on "its gonna tear" feeling, I wouldnt worry about it.

Ive always hammered straight through the initial soreness when I start out again after an injury or some time off, but thats just me. Thats targeting muscles that are still sore too. There are times though where it is rediculously sore to the point where i cant walk...lol, and on those occasions its not worth it.

Ive found I can always grow through it no problems. Just keep the fuel up to it in your diet and ive found that stretching helps as well, even on days off.

Also when your hitting each part only once a week, its possible that you will always get some soreness because they are not used to it and being stretched that far. I noticed that with squats. It was every week soreness no matter what. I did not get this when i hit the muscles more than once a week.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
yeah my legs tend to feel it for a while cause i only do them once a week but it doesnt bother me i might add them twice when i change my routine in 3months

i changed my current routine to:

mondays - chest and shoulders

wed - back n legs

fridays - triceps n biceps

i find now that on fridays my triceps n biceps are fine and ready to be totally destroyed cause the only time they were used recently was really the monday and that was secondary type workouts, wednesdays they arent given that much with the back workouts and leg workouts dont do anythign to them at all.

only problem with this is... after my chest workouts my arms do get weaker and i find doing certain shoulder workouts is annoying i feel if i did my shoulders on its own day ide be lifting 15pounds more per arm

maybe putting back n chest on mondays n shoulders with legs on wednesdays wouldve been better but itll do for now

jlowsho

Awards
personally I'd suggest manipulating it so you can move as much weight as possible with your compound movements. Especially one using free weights and esp. dumbells. Nuero-pathways will benefit the most from these. Don't worry about setting yourself up the have the most recovery on assistant exercises - ie curls etc... as these work less neuro pathways and will reap the least amount of benefits in the long run.