Chinups vs. Lat Pulldown

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
The gym I have been going to for years during my breaks from school does not have a chinup bar. Plenty of pullup bars, but not a single solid horizontal bar for close handed chinups.
But of course, they have lat pulldowns, with bars that allow me to do my underhand chinups.

By setting the weight on the stack to my approximate bodyweight, how effective will it be at gaining/maintaining chinup strength. It is very important to me that I maintain my chinup strength for an event I have coming up in less than a month. Will the lat pulldown suffice?

Also, a chinup bar for the house is out of the question.

Thanks

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
I do mine on monkey bars at a school near me. Many use a tree branch. Lat pulldowns would be fine but certainly not as good. Speak to the owner, he might install one if you simply ask.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I do mine on monkey bars at a school near me. Many use a tree branch. Lat pulldowns would be fine but certainly not as good. Speak to the owner, he might install one if you simply ask.
Thanks for the quick reply...
I thought about asking, as they make a good business (Gold's Gym), but I won't be in town for a good portion of the summer starting in a few weeks. I'd feel bad asking for him to spend hundreds, or even thousands on a build that I won't be using in just a short amount of time.
The crazy thing is that they must have at least 5 wide handle pullup bars there! That's what gets me everytime I think about it. Maybe I'll switch to overhand, but for now and the coming weeks I guess I'll be on the lookout for a local jungle gym or whatnot. Good idea!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
put the \/ close grip pull down handle /\ over the bar and chin up to it? Forgive me if I don't understand.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
think ROCKY and you'll find tons of places to do chin-ups!

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
people use the V handle bar to do them, they also use the V handle to do T bar rows

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Not sure I'm following the issue correctly, but I do chinups using the squat/power rack.

Erik2003

Erik2003

Awards
put the \/ close grip pull down handle /\ over the bar and chin up to it? Forgive me if I don't understand.
I agree, the small bars for cable rows makes a great tool. You can also use other things like the gym towel (this is also murder on your grip).

chewball

chewball

Awards
I use the smith machine...nobody uses it that much, it's always open.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
You better start doing your chinups boy!!!!:duel:
I am :). I have a chinning bar in the kitchen doorway. Gonna do one daily plus negatives to build up. I also will be alternating overhand vs underhand grip to change it up. hopefully I will get to some nice numbers / weighted chins soon.

Chins are also the first thing I do when I get to the gym on back day. Attempt to do as many as I can.

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
I am :). I have a chinning bar in the kitchen doorway. Gonna do one daily plus negatives to build up. I also will be alternating overhand vs underhand grip to change it up. hopefully I will get to some nice numbers / weighted chins soon.

Chins are also the first thing I do when I get to the gym on back day. Attempt to do as many as I can.

I think the negatives will definately help you! What does your overall back workout look like? I used to be great at chin ups/ pull ups cause I was a Marine and you have to be goog at those! I would venture to say I can probably get like 20 right now, since I'm a bit out of shape:pizza: !

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I think the negatives will definately help you! What does your overall back workout look like? I used to be great at chin ups/ pull ups cause I was a Marine and you have to be goog at those! I would venture to say I can probably get like 20 right now, since I'm a bit out of shape:pizza: !
Once a Marine always a Marine! What do you mean WAS!?!?lol
I'm aspiring to become a Marine Officer, with my first of two six week sessions of OCS starting in just a few weeks. Very, very excited.
And hitting 20 right now is great! Out of shape? hahaha... how many could you hit at your strongest? 20 is what I'm hovering around right now, depending on the bar's stability and however much rest I'm pulling on. Putting my last few weeks towards leg preparation and overall balance issues before I head out, but I can only imagine how many pullups I will be doing down in Quantico!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
lol, one thing you'll find is that marines are good at pullups. i can still get 18 or sometimes higher and i've been out for over 2 years now.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i was reading somewhere today (i think in muscular development) that dave palumbo recommends against chin ups/pull ups for anyone around 250 lbs. or over because of the stress it is putting on your supporting muscles. Anyone agree/disagree?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
disagree. palumbo probably isn't good at pullups, lol.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
lol, me neither, so i am taking his advice and telling myself it's for safety purposes

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I strap 50lbs. to my waist. @220, that puts total weight at 270lbs.

270 > 250

My arms are still attached. Lucky.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
yeah, don't get me wrong, i just can't really do them and wanted to see what everyone else thought. kinda funny that he says doing chinups at 260 isn't safe if you have seen his recommended "beginner" cycle, lol

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
Once a Marine always a Marine! What do you mean WAS!?!?lol
I'm aspiring to become a Marine Officer, with my first of two six week sessions of OCS starting in just a few weeks. Very, very excited.
And hitting 20 right now is great! Out of shape? hahaha... how many could you hit at your strongest? 20 is what I'm hovering around right now, depending on the bar's stability and however much rest I'm pulling on. Putting my last few weeks towards leg preparation and overall balance issues before I head out, but I can only imagine how many pullups I will be doing down in Quantico!

OOH RAHH!! You're right, forgive that "WAS" statement, I'LL ALLWAYS BE A MARINE!!! I would've re-enlisted if it wasn't for the family and fiance who couldn't handle my deployements. Anywho, I used to be able to gthe bet round 36 pullups. On PFT's I would allways do 2 extra one for the Corp, andone for Chest Puller, and then the woul kick me off the bar, LOL!! Good luck with OCS! I was going to do the Boost....no wait, not that one the other program, and try to go commisioned. They were allways pushing to do this, cause I was a board/meritorious Marine, and was the Color Sargeant for my Squadron and such. But again, good luck in Quantico, it is very competetive:head: ! Sorry for getting off topic guys:eek:

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
I strap 50lbs. to my waist. @220, that puts total weight at 270lbs.

270 > 250

My arms are still attached. Lucky.

Yeah, and look at the size of this mans back! Proof positive right there:thumbsup:

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
From my log >>>here<<<

2. Back

* Chin Ups - When first into gym I attempt as many overhand / palm down chin ups ( at the moment = 1 - 1 1/2 )
* PullDowns - 2 Sets x 15 reps x warmup 100lbs, 3 sets x max reps(15 roughly) then drop x 120lbs, 100lbs, 80lbs
* Bent Over Rows - 2 Sets x 15 reps 2 x 25lbs + bar, 1 Set x 12 - 15 reps x 35lbs + bar, 2 sets x 8 - 10 reps x 45lbs + bar
* Pulley rows - 2 Sets x 15 reps x 115lbs, 3 sets x 10 - 15 reps x 115 - 145lbs.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
how about trying many sets of 1-2 pullups til you hit 20 or so?
I do many sets of 2 to get to 24, Kane from CL recommended it :)

From my log >>>here<<<

2. Back

* Chin Ups - When first into gym I attempt as many overhand / palm down chin ups ( at the moment = 1 - 1 1/2 )
* PullDowns - 2 Sets x 15 reps x warmup 100lbs, 3 sets x max reps(15 roughly) then drop x 120lbs, 100lbs, 80lbs
* Bent Over Rows - 2 Sets x 15 reps 2 x 25lbs + bar, 1 Set x 12 - 15 reps x 35lbs + bar, 2 sets x 8 - 10 reps x 45lbs + bar
* Pulley rows - 2 Sets x 15 reps x 115lbs, 3 sets x 10 - 15 reps x 115 - 145lbs.

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
how about trying many sets of 1-2 pullups til you hit 20 or so?
I do many sets of 2 to get to 24, Kane from CL recommended it :)

Thats good advice:thumbsup:! One of the methods we used to use with guys that struglled with pull ups.

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
Hey neo, I would also go a little heavier on the weights, to the point where yu are gettin 10 to 12 reps the most, with good slow strict form. I generally do 6-12 reps depending on the exercise(compound or isolation).

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
and if you haven't seen Kane, go to CL's website, 39yrs old, and shredded to kingdom come

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Hey neo, I would also go a little heavier on the weights, to the point where yu are gettin 10 to 12 reps the most, with good slow strict form. I generally do 6-12 reps depending on the exercise(compound or isolation).
K will do. I am going to try those both:

1. Max even with drop sets 6 - 12 reps - I am still basic in the pull down etc so I know if I go too heavy form fails and I don't get the mind / muscle connection / contraction properly. That's when I know i have gone too heavy.

2. Multiple 1 reps until 10 have been completed with negatives if neccessary.

Thanks guys.

<3 Neoborn <3

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
OOH RAHH!! You're right, forgive that "WAS" statement, I'LL ALLWAYS BE A MARINE!!! I would've re-enlisted if it wasn't for the family and fiance who couldn't handle my deployements. Anywho, I used to be able to gthe bet round 36 pullups. On PFT's I would allways do 2 extra one for the Corp, andone for Chest Puller, and then the woul kick me off the bar, LOL!! Good luck with OCS! I was going to do the Boost....no wait, not that one the other program, and try to go commisioned. They were allways pushing to do this, cause I was a board/meritorious Marine, and was the Color Sargeant for my Squadron and such. But again, good luck in Quantico, it is very competetive:head: ! Sorry for getting off topic guys:eek:
WOW! 36.... *counts fingers, toes, then sits in amazement*
Pretty darn awesome man! I can see why they wanted you back though! Color Sergeant, crazy PT'er, dizammmnz! Absolutely understand about the family though.. I think of the people who sit everyday wondering if their husband/fiance/father will come back from war... it's so hard for them.

And thanks a lot for the good thoughts for Quantico! I'm getting incredibly fired up about my chance to show what I've got. It's something I really, really, REALLY want to achieve. Being a Marine to me is the best job in America! (opinion, of course). Still need to crank out some good running in my final 3 weeks though.. I can get max the pullups, of course the crunches, but my run time is around a 22 at the moment, which is HORRIBLE. I can run so much faster though when I'm training with a platoon though(which says a lot.. psychologically limiting myself while training by myself... AHHH! BAD!)

Little rant there.. I just get really excited everytime I talk about OCS lol.

SEMPER FI MARINE! YOU TOO BEEZLEBUB! OOORAHHHHH

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
when i had a 22 minute run, i was fvcking ecstatic, lol.

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
when i had a 22 minute run, i was fvcking ecstatic, lol.

LOL!!! My worst runs were once when I was still basically drunk, and got like close to a 25 minute run, nad when I was on M-1T! That **** destroyed my run time:numbered: ! My legs would get like petrifies wood, and my lower back I thought was going to explode!! My Sgt Major was hollaring at me and was all pissed off, cause I could even carry the guideon the right way ona platoon run we had, cause that **** was usually cake for me!! He was pissed as fvck...."what the fvck you're m top marine!! Is my old ass gonna have to take the guideone form you, or am I gonnahave to give it up to somone else?!" I don't know how I finished that run, I thought I was going to cramp up and die!! Needless to say, never used that crap again:icon_lol: !

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
WOW! 36.... *counts fingers, toes, then sits in amazement*
Pretty darn awesome man! I can see why they wanted you back though! Color Sergeant, crazy PT'er, dizammmnz! Absolutely understand about the family though.. I think of the people who sit everyday wondering if their husband/fiance/father will come back from war... it's so hard for them.

And thanks a lot for the good thoughts for Quantico! I'm getting incredibly fired up about my chance to show what I've got. It's something I really, really, REALLY want to achieve. Being a Marine to me is the best job in America! (opinion, of course). Still need to crank out some good running in my final 3 weeks though.. I can get max the pullups, of course the crunches, but my run time is around a 22 at the moment, which is HORRIBLE. I can run so much faster though when I'm training with a platoon though(which says a lot.. psychologically limiting myself while training by myself... AHHH! BAD!)

Little rant there.. I just get really excited everytime I talk about OCS lol.

SEMPER FI MARINE! YOU TOO BEEZLEBUB! OOORAHHHHH

22 is not bad, but we're defiantely gonna have to get your time down for Quantico! Some of those fvckers can run! Just gonna have to get your wieght down a little(not sayin that you are heavy, but the lighter you are the easier that run and those pulls ups are:thumbsup: ) and run more thatn the 3 miles when you go on runs. I would also incorporate some sprints into my rugular runs once in a while. But something that gets you into good cardio vascular condition is singing Cadence while running! I think it increases/ strenthens your aerobic capacity, and a good reason why people get into great running shape in Boot Camp, besides the fact that they drill you peepee into the dirt:lol: !

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
LOL!!! My worst runs were once when I was still basically drunk, and got like close to a 25 minute run, nad when I was on M-1T! That **** destroyed my run time:numbered: ! My legs would get like petrifies wood, and my lower back I thought was going to explode!! My Sgt Major was hollaring at me and was all pissed off, cause I could even carry the guideon the right way ona platoon run we had, cause that **** was usually cake for me!! He was pissed as fvck...."what the fvck you're m top marine!! Is my old ass gonna have to take the guideone form you, or am I gonnahave to give it up to somone else?!" I don't know how I finished that run, I thought I was going to cramp up and die!! Needless to say, never used that crap again:icon_lol: !
lol, M1T and PFT don't mix ;)

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I personally dont like pullups/chinups. I guess latpull down is for me, I can do 300 for 1 so I cant say it doesnt work for strength.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Update

Can do two from standing to chin, underhand grip, to arms @ 90 degrees again.

Getting there......

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
Update

Can do two from standing to chin, underhand grip, to arms @ 90 degrees again.

Getting there......

Just keep at it bro! You'll get there before you know it:thumbsup:

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Did about 3 - 5 arms length ones and about 6 90degree from standing ones. :) I'll keep cracking away at it.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
If I ever do pullups/chins up I have a nuetral grip, pullmyself all the way up (chest hits the bars I am grabbing) then lower ALLL the way down until my arms cant go anylower, then back up again. I can do 8-10 @220lbs before I cant make it to the top anymore. My friend used to put a 100lb dumbell between his legs and do them (hes 37) @ 215lbs. His back used to be super strong, dam guy is lazy now haha, or he is scared that I am blowing his doors off:whip:

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Can someone enlighten me on the changes that occur with a change in grip? From what I feel it's only forearm that is affected when changing palm position etc.