18 by 18 challange?

precious_roy

Awards
I don’t know if anyone here has heard of this (I hadn’t until today) but I was presented the 18x18 challenge by some of my coworkers today. The challenge is as follows.

The victor will be the first person in our group to do both
1. 18 repetitions of 225 lbs on a flat bench
2. Run 3 miles in 18 minutes or less
In one day, sun up to sun down.

The idea is that the two are mutually exclusive. My question is what type of training regimen do you think one could use in order to achieve this as quickly as possible, without becoming totally unbalanced? Also, how many of you think this is feasible for someone of average genetic ability?

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Is that 18 reps in one set or can you do them at any time?

CRAZY LEGS

Awards
Bench will be easy unless you can't bench that. i've never tryed to do 18 but 10 is pretty easy for me .Now the running ont he other hand will be defenitly a challenge. right now i do 2 miles in 20 minutes at a light jog .maybe i'll try it this week end.

precious_roy

Awards
Bench will be easy unless you can't bench that. i've never tryed to do 18 but 10 is pretty easy for me .Now the running ont he other hand will be defenitly a challenge. right now i do 2 miles in 20 minutes at a light jog .maybe i'll try it this week end.
I'm on the other end of the scale from you. I can run 2 miles in about 13 minutes and I think I could get down to 3 miles in 18 without a huge amount of training. But I can't bench for squat. I could probably do 225 like 3 or 4 times.

A friend of mine had success raising his bench quicky using GVT. I don't know though.

sullyx44

sullyx44

Awards
The bench I could handle....but that 3mi. might just kill me... Or take a few hours. I would imagine just a good strength building routine combined with some endurance liftin and a good bit of cardio would be helpful. But thats kinda hard. Getting to 18 reps of 225 will take a long time... Best of luck though.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Piece of cake

Run a google search on "The Arnold Classic Pump and Run".

precious_roy

Awards
Piece of cake

Run a google search on "The Arnold Classic Pump and Run".
Yes but in the pump and run, a weakness can overcome a strength. If you can bench a lot time gets shaved off. No matter how many times you can bench 225 you still have to run an average of 6 minute miles for 3 miles. In my opinion thats cooking. And 18 reps at 225 is no simple feat either.

If I figure out a good plan I'll try and start a log.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Last years winner had an adjusted total time of 30 seconds.