Help on developing inner chest

BigB29

BigB29

Awards
Hi everyone,
As stated in the title I am looking for some advice on what steps I could take to help my chest fill out more in inner area, particularly the lower portion.

A little background info:
Age - 20
Height - 6'1
Weight - 230
BF - 18%
Have been lifting for 5 years.
My current chest routine focuses mostly on flat bench since I love the exercise and have hopes of setting a junior record in my region. This is what my routine generally looks like:
Flat Bench
Warm up : 135x15, 185x8, 225x4
315x5, 275x5, 275x5, 275x5, 275x5, 275x5

Decline Bench
255x6, 225x6, 225x6, 225x6, 135 to failure

On days when I have the time/energy I will sometimes add a few sets of DB incline press in between the flat and decline bench, usually rather light 75-90lbs in the 8-10 rep range.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Brian

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Decline, pullovers, closegrip, dips, cable crosses from above.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
If you keep your shoulder blades back and down it will hit lower chest more than upper chest and shoulders.

BigB29

BigB29

Awards
Thanks, I guess I need to divert some energy away from flat bench to some of the ones you've listed to get the chest development that I'm looking for.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I would start out your W/O (after warmups) with the exercise that will focus in your lower chest. IMO, I would start with Decline Fly's - these seem to really work my lower chest more fully than any other lower chest exercise. Same goes for upper (incline fly's). If your other goal is to increase your overall bench press weight. Start your workouts with REALLY Heavy DB Incline presses, or BB Inclines. My bench went up probably 50lbs w/in about a month like this. Try it out for about two weeks, then the next week get on the flat bench and see if your weights didn't go up at least 15-20 lbs. Now, keeping in mind your goals, if that isn't your primary goal then start with your decline exercises. GL, let me know if something is not working and you need more help. :frustrate

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I always prioritse my weaknesses first like blackjack said.
First, hardest, most volume.

BigB29

BigB29

Awards
Thanks for the info blackjack.
For the heavy incline sets what rep/set structure worked best for you? My flat bench max is currently at 355, don't know where my incline would be sitting at as I have not incorporated heavy incline work for quite some time.
I am completely addicted to doing my flat bench work and increasing my flat max, as badly as I would like to better fill out my chest will give the heavy incline work a try for a few weeks before starting off with decline work.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Try benching in a power rack. set it up so that you only go down far enough for your elbows to be at 90deg. Come to a complete stop after each rep.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
I dont believe you can target the inner chest, you just need to build your chest as a whole more to make it fill in

BigB29

BigB29

Awards
I do use a power rack to hit weights above my 1 rep max but do not do them generally more than once a month. I work my chest once a week so basically every 4 workouts I will do a few sets in a power rack. I do them first after my warmup and it takes a lot out of me and greatly decreases the load and volume I am able to do for the rest of my workout and because of that don't do it all that often. Would I be better off just doing say 1 set in a power rack at the start of my chest workout?

BigB29

BigB29

Awards
Have never done chain or board presses. I work out at my university's athletic centre and and don't have access to equipment to perform either. DB's also only go up to 120's which makes it impossible to do heavy db work.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's funny. You get about as many people saying you can't target parts of the chest as you do that say you can. I don't think you can seperate inner and outer seperately but I do think you can target them together.

BigB29

BigB29

Awards
I have been told by others in the past that it is impossible to target the inner chest but after 5 years of busting my a-- I would think there is more to it. I am by no means a slow gainer.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
It may just be me, but narrow grip bench press works my inner pecs more than others. Not close-grip, but just outside of it. Try it and let us know. It makes perfect sense really.....Right??

BigB29

BigB29

Awards
When doing narrow grip bench the only differances I notice are the increased load on my triceps and greater strain on my elbows, nothing inregards to it hitting my inner chest.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Have never done chain or board presses. I work out at my university's athletic centre and and don't have access to equipment to perform either. DB's also only go up to 120's which makes it impossible to do heavy db work.
You could do what Beelze suggests and duct tape some plates to them.

It's actually really easy and takes a minute or too.

As for inner chest, I always feel my inner chest working really hard when using the pec-dec machine.

BigB29

BigB29

Awards
You could do what Beelze suggests and duct tape some plates to them.

It's actually really easy and takes a minute or too.

As for inner chest, I always feel my inner chest working really hard when using the pec-dec machine.
Never crossed my mind to duct tape plates to them....definetly going to have to do that.

The wealth of information and opinions on this board is truly wonderful, only wish I found it sooner!

steelwrecker

Awards
ive been tryin to do the same thing..what sems to be the key is partial reps so you work your inner chest instead of expanding it by focusing on constant contraction. The pec deck helps buil the inner chest if your ROM is very tight. Partial reps and emphasizin contraction will build your inner chest. De-emphasize flat bench...i know its hard but its worth it. Do use narrow grip on incline and flat if you really want to do it every now n then. even if it doesnt feel great use narow grip otherwise your chest will expand rather than fill.