weight on exercise machines

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Are these things weighted universally?

It has numbers on the weight plates wich go up in incriments of 5 from 5 to something like 80, I am hoping these are lbs.
I know machines arnt as good as free weights but I dont have a gym membership at the moment.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Depends which country you're in :)
I was on vacation in the Maldives and the resort's gym had the weights in kg, boy was I tricked, I was like why am I so weak ^_^

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I am in Australia, our system is kg, maybe there kg.
I was always under the impression there just numbers on a plate eg 5=4kg 10=8kg 15=12kg 20=16kg.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
The amount of actual resistance that you will experience depends on the levers and can vary from machine to machine, regardless if the place the pin in the same weight.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I have a two station gym at home and each station has 150lbs weight stack (10lbs each plate).... With the resistance, some workouts can bring up to 360lbs on one stack........ Say if I was going to do front presses, I could set my pin on the hole stack of 150lbs and with the resistance it's really 240lbs....... The Leg press station can resist at 360lbs on a 150lb stack.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
you are correct, usually in lb stacks.

Do not fool yourself by saying machines are not good. They are a great way to strengthen the muscles. They may not help them grow but they will provide a nice stretch. Good way to build up your muscles actual tolerance to heavy weight. Keeps the fibers nice and stretched and remember to focus mentally when doing the actual reps. Focus on the muscle you are working by keeping it nice and flexed.