Sore shoulders from bench press

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
I’m getting sore shoulders after a heavy day of bench press. I’m not sure if I should stop bench pressing for a while or use a free motion machine for bench. Anyone else have this problem and know a solution? I have lightened my bench and I’m fine but when I go heavy I get sore. I don’t want to harm my shoulders so I will stop bench pressing if I can’t find a good solution.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
shoulders get hit hard w/ benching, you're arms are probably perpendicular to your body, tuck your elbows at the bottom and do rotator work, problem solved

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Actually this has been happening to me too more frequently; last week I was focusing on going lighter but more reps and really tweaked something bad in my left shoulder...still hurts 3 days later, I've been icing it 3-5 times per day too.

And I keep a mean tuck in the elbows. Back arched, ass and shoulderblades on the bench, legs tucked, on the balls of the feet, shoulders pinched, abs flexed...I do a closer grip than most probably (maybe an inch or two past shoulder width) and I make sure to tuck the elbows on every rep.

Still been killing me.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I had rotator cuff injury for awhile and I found that dumbells put alot less stress on the shoulders. Try doing those instead barbell for awhile to give your shoulders a rest.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
What type of dumbell press? Hammer grip with palms facing each other? Arms perpendicular to the body? I've never really done DB flat bench before, only incline db.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Just regular. Do it the same as you would incline.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Guys I'll try rotator cuff work and dumbells for now.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
arch your back (focus on retracting the scapulae), tuck your elbows in (opposed to flared).. Try neutral grip on DB's... shoulder rehab work (impingement rehab)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
arch your back (focus on retracting the scapulae), tuck your elbows in (opposed to flared).. Try neutral grip on DB's... shoulder rehab work (impingement rehab)
Google the "Thrower's Ten" or "Frozen Shoulder" rehab techniques. They both did me alot of good for my shoulder injury.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know a web page that has pictures showing proper lifting techniques?

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
What part of your shoulder hurts? And is it pain or soreness??

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
What part of your shoulder hurts? And is it pain or soreness??
I would say more of a soreness, not muscle sore but not a lot of pain either. It doesn’t hurt when I benching but after. I tried to tuff it out last time I went thought a heavy cycle of bench but the soreness only got worse.