how do you use DBs by urself??

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so lets say i am doing flat dumbell presses, i know to sit with a db on each thigh, then kick them up as i lay back, but what about when i reach failure/done with the set? whats the safest way to end a set with dbs?

thank you!

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
so lets say i am doing flat dumbell presses, i know to sit with a db on each thigh, then kick them up as i lay back, but what about when i reach failure/done with the set? whats the safest way to end a set with dbs?

thank you!

Leave them on your chest and just sit up with them. Then you can put them on the floor.

If your gym allows you to be like Ronnie, you can just heave them after each set :D

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established

thank you!
When I am done I pull my legs up and sit the dumbbells on my thighs and it then makes me fall forward and safely sit up. But if I fail it sux not having a spotter, at least with me, I tried to drop one off to the side and then lean over and lay the other one down, but it ended up spinning me around and I almost ended up in the corner about 10 feet away from the bench. Luckily no one saw as there is only like 5 people max during the night when I workout. So I usually just ask for a spotter. But when your done, just life the thighs up and set them against and lean forward. Just make sure no one is in front of you cuz your legs will shoot down fast with all the weight sittin on them.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
My gym is pretty accepting of heaving the DBs, so I just lower them, rotate to the neutral position, and sit up and drop at the same time. Make sure you start sitting up before you drop them or you will trash your shoulders, and maybe your bis.

Funny, this is the way that I learned to use DBs, but when I've worked out at other gyms everyone looks at me like :wtf:

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Leave them on your chest and just sit up with them. Then you can put them on the floor.

If your gym allows you to be like Ronnie, you can just heave them after each set :D
but its hard to do a situp with that much weight

heater

Awards
I agree, just sit up with them and place them on the floor or the rack. If it is too heavy to put in the rack then you should probably have a spotter who could do that. Nothing is more frusting than people who drop them and bend the weights for then next person.

heater

Awards
Depends on the weight. Just drop them to your side doesnt mean just throw them down. Just be careful and have a spotter if your lifting heavy. Cus you will do some damage to your shoulders trying to put the heavy ones down. Nothing pi** me off more than someone throwing heavy dumbells on the floor and bending the handle. Just a thought.

Sorry Just repeated myself

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so the conclusion is hold the weights against chest, sit up, and at same time brining knees up to put dbs on

heater

Awards
Thats good or have your spotter take one from your hand at a time and sit them on the floor or rack.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I just throw them in a controlled manner :D h ahaha....

heater

Awards
Controlled manner........Heard that one before:blink:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Right now its not so bad dropping the DBs b/c I'm only using like 120s on the incline, but after I'm caught up from my huge layoff from working out (over half a year with minimal gym time) its gonna be hard to just set them down nice an easy...so, i just do my best not to break anything and to slow the fall.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Right now its not so bad dropping the DBs b/c I'm only using like 120s on the incline, but after I'm caught up from my huge layoff from working out (over half a year with minimal gym time) its gonna be hard to just set them down nice an easy...so, i just do my best not to break anything and to slow the fall.
'only' 120's?? geez thats not alot....

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I bring my legs up and in one movement throw my legs down and sit up then dl the weight to the ground. Nothing more annoying then someone dropping weights when it's not necessary, especially when I'm in the middle of a set concentrating and some punk is falling over with 25s making all kinds of racket. If I can set 150s down quitely, he can do the same with his 25s!

uh...sorry I guess I was ranting, just got back from the gym and am annoyed as hell, I'll shup up now.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
lol you could set some benches beside you to place them on if theres enough room. The ideas about lowering to the knees and sitting up works great.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
If I can set 150s down quitely, he can do the same with his 25s! .....
Man..you gotta show me the trick. I can never do it without feeling like I'm going to tear my arm out of the socket. haha

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I bring my knees up to the weight, throw my body forward till I'm standing, the only thing my arms have to do is hang on the weight, the momentum of the weight on my thighs drives me forward. It's hard to explain, especially since I've done it for so long it's just automatic.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I bring my knees up to the weight, throw my body forward till I'm standing, the only thing my arms have to do is hang on the weight, the momentum of the weight on my thighs drives me forward. It's hard to explain, especially since I've done it for so long it's just automatic.
I knwo what you're talking about...for some odd reason, that's how I get up, but its easier for me to do that on flat DB than incline DB. I get pinned on the incline and can't swing forward like that. Of course, I don't normally do incline db's either...maybe it'll just take time.

guess i'll be forced to try, try again :D

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
My gym is pretty accepting of heaving the DBs, so I just lower them, rotate to the neutral position, and sit up and drop at the same time. Make sure you start sitting up before you drop them or you will trash your shoulders, and maybe your bis.

Funny, this is the way that I learned to use DBs, but when I've worked out at other gyms everyone looks at me like :wtf:
Same method for me as well. Usually i just lay em down in a "controlled effort" and everything is okay.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I knwo what you're talking about...for some odd reason, that's how I get up, but its easier for me to do that on flat DB than incline DB. I get pinned on the incline and can't swing forward like that. Of course, I don't normally do incline db's either...maybe it'll just take time.

guess i'll be forced to try, try again :D
That's kind of strange, I normally never do flat db's but when I do I have a harder time. I find the incline very easy to get the weights down. Ah well it will give you something to do...eh?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Same method for me as well. Usually i just lay em down in a "controlled effort" and everything is okay.
Yeah, control is definitely part of how I do it. I'm really only dropping it about 1/2 the height from bench to floor.

Kwyck, you definitely have it backwards. Incline=easy to get up w/it; Flat=difficult :trout: :fool2:

I never saw anyone sit up with the flat DB's until I worked out with Big Pete. It was pretty ridiculous. His gym has those really long, rubber coated ones. The 90's are bigger than the Ivanko 120's at my gym. Pete put the 110's or 120's back on his thighs and just sat up. I was like :blink: The DB's were at least up to his chin :toofunny:

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
don't take my advice, I busted a 95 last night. got done with my 2nd set of inclines and sat them down on end. I heard one of them go "pop", so I fted back up and only one end was wattached. Cheap ass cast DB's. Now that will be out for repair for God knows how long. :rolleyes:, I told them to get the stell plated DB's and they wouldn't have to worry about that. It happens almost every 2 weeks I bet.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, control is definitely part of how I do it. I'm really only dropping it about 1/2 the height from bench to floor.

Kwyck, you definitely have it backwards. Incline=easy to get up w/it; Flat=difficult :trout: :fool2:

I never saw anyone sit up with the flat DB's until I worked out with Big Pete. It was pretty ridiculous. His gym has those really long, rubber coated ones. The 90's are bigger than the Ivanko 120's at my gym. Pete put the 110's or 120's back on his thighs and just sat up. I was like :blink: The DB's were at least up to his chin :toofunny:
Man I hate those DB's that's what we have and the 150's are ridiculous, If you press them normal it's a friggin wide grip bench, so I Arnold them at the end and get a nice squeeze. You can't bang them together either cause they'll bounce, POS imo

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
LOL, yeah, I learned about the bounce when I employed my tried and true Ivanko dropping technique. Yikes! Coming right back at me.

You feel like He-Man with those big ass DB's, but they definitely suck.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ever see that vid of ronnie pressin either the 200s or 220s? they have them at the one gym i train at sometimes, you want to talk about some massive dbs, they actually have their own stand and his name painted on the sides

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
ever see that vid of ronnie pressin either the 200s or 220s? they have them at the one gym i train at sometimes, you want to talk about some massive dbs, they actually have their own stand and his name painted on the sides
Yeh I've seen that those things are bigger then me!, what I like best is he never puts anything away, he just drops the weight and all these little leprichans come running out to put the weights away! lol

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Made my own:
Damn, those look pretty nice. If I had even a semblence of welding ability I'd try to weld myself up a set of these at work sometime. I just caved today and ordered a set of powerhooks. I'm switching to DC style training soon, and I workout at home by myself. Rest pause sets for exercises will be possible with the hooks, as well I'm hoping to relieve some of the stress I feel in my shoulders as I lower the dumbbells back to the floor and work them into position.

ace_himself

Awards
Normally for flat chest press when I'm done I turn them inwards and then just kind swing myself up and the momentum with the weight of the dumbbells makes it pretty easy. Sometimes though if I really pushed myself and I am burned out right at failure I'll put them down to the side one at a time, I prefer not to do this cause it kinda stresses the shoulder a little bit but I refuse to be one of the inconsiderate guys who just flings the DB's aside when he's done.

If you're Ronnie Coleman and you're best friend owns the gym you can throw DB's and drop BB's but nothing pisses me off more than picking up the 75's and finding that the plates on them spin and spin from thoughtless guys throwing them around.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Man I hate those DB's that's what we have and the 150's are ridiculous, If you press them normal it's a friggin wide grip bench, so I Arnold them at the end and get a nice squeeze. You can't bang them together either cause they'll bounce, POS imo
They are pretty awkward. They do get bouncy, I cut up a finger just putting them back on the rack once. I went to put it down and it hit the side of the rack bounced and my finger got cut up. Doing standing DB curls suck too because I keep having them get caught in my shorts/pants and it throws me off.